Top Posters In This Topic

• korsten32

• Pen Nut

• eytim

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice silver sterling fountain pen and as I like big pens - think of for example Sailor King of pen size - it's got to be a big boy!

I'd like to hear your appreciated suggestions!

thanks,

Luca

I also love big, silver pens. :D

My suggestion is the Waterman Exception Sterling - beautiful. Yard-o-Led is another good choice - the Viceroy Grand in particular.

The Montblanc 146 in sterling silver is a popular choice for many, but it's quite pricey. You might also wish to consider the Sheaffer Legacy sterling - now available in all silver, including trim. And from time to time you can spot Duofold CP5 pens on Ebay - I have these and I will never sell either of them - they are simply the best looking sterling pens out there. Also appearing occasionally on Ebay is the Waterman Edson sterling, another wonderful pen.

So, you see, there is a good choice. By the way, I already have all of the above mentioned pens! :lol: Are you envious? You should be. :angry: :roflmho:

Below is the Exception Sterling:

post-4-1171067346_thumb.jpg

Edited by marklavar

• 3 months later...
http://www.members.westnet.com.au/raynchris/pix/silvers.jpg

here are some for comparison - from the left

Sheaffer (70s)

CP4 pair

"51"

CS LE 100

hammered silver Sergio Kullock "51"

Signum

CP Sailor

CP Parker Duo (vintage model) heavy pen!

Aurora Cellini - also heavy and delicious

Sailor 1911

MB "Wedding Ring" 146 size - heavy

CP Pelikan "Charlotte"

Platinum (takes other Platinum nibs!)

Sheaffer @Victorian'

I haven't seen a KOP size in silver.........and the heaviest and heftiest of my pens has to be the CP Parker I think.

Enjoy! :)9

Real nice!!

Do you take afternoon tea on a sterling service as well. Again nice collection.

I have a YOL Viceroy Grand in the Barleycorn finish. It's a big Sterling Silver pen - heavy and it can be posted without damage to the pen barrel. The pen writes well, although I do find the section to get slippery during extended writing. Overall, it's an impressive pen.

Can you explain how it writes. Is it smooth-can you compare it to the way any other FP writes? Its a c/c right? Does it take standard international cartridges? I am considering one-it is pricey but has to write great. How much did you pay?

Thanks

Had a Yard O Led Viceroy Grand in the Victorian finish... By far the worst fountain pen I have ever owned for a number of reasons.

The company were excellent in all the warranty work I required and exchanged components without a problem, thing is the pen should not have gone back to them on four occasions within the first six months of ownership.

Got a 144 Mont Blanc in the silver barleycorn finish but that is probably too small to meet your requirements.

My favourite pen which I return back to time and time again is the Waterman Edson LE in slver. Big dimension and amongest the best writing pens I have owned.

Got a Motegrappe but its a rollerball so dont think that counts does it :D

Anyone like to guess who the two busts are either side of the pens????

Can you be specific as to the problems you hd with the Yardoled-it looks great but if it just looks great and doesn't perform well I don't want it

Thanks

There is no doubt that if you want a big sterling silver pen, you should consider the Drake. It is a beast of a pen in terms of its weight - I hope that you work out! I bought mine from winedoc.

In terms of comparing the Drake and the Churchill, the Drake is much, much heaver, slightly smaller in diameter and about a half inch shorter than the Churchill.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Hi,

Thanks for all the nice suggestions and photographs!

I decided on the CS Drake, which I received yesterday; it is really a stunning pen, and quite heavy.

cheers,

Luca ;)