Are There Certain Inks That Will Write Finer Than Others?

stevekolt

Are there certain inks that will write finer than others? I notice some inks tend to write a "less fine" line through some of my pens. Are there any particular brands/colors that will tend to wire a finer line than others? Sorry for the newbie question, but didn't really see this posted here. Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevekolt

• Sandy1

• mhosea

• quinden

There are certain inks that are "drier" than others, and they will probably help your pen to produce a finer line - several of the Pelikan 4001 series inks are reputed to be pretty dry, but I have only personally used Pelikan Brilliant Black, which I very much enjoy and which seems drier than my other black inks (Diamine & Noodler's).

You might also try iron gall inks - I think some of those behave in the same manner and may help you achieve a finer line.

It will also depend on the pen you are using, and the paper you are using it on, so there may not be a definitive answer - there are lots of members here with more experience than me, though, so I bet someone will have better answers than I!

:)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Are there certain inks that will write finer than others? I notice some inks tend to write a "less fine" line through some of my pens.

I think the second way of putting it is the right way, i.e., some inks put down a wider-than-normal line with the same nib. It's a curious thing to me because these inks don't, by and large, seem to have a feathering problem. The edges are crisp, but the inks nevertheless seem to "soak out" to a wider line. The ones that I've seen do it are certain (but not all!) Noodler's "bulletproof" inks. Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Hunter lay down a wider line, for example, whereas Noodler's Black doesn't.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Hi,

From my experience, there is some variation in the line-width generated by different inks. However it is very dependent on the pen+paper combo and the author's manner of writing, so a change of paper/pen may cause an otherwise high performing ink to cross a tipping point, then start to misbehave.

In very broad terms, inks tend to give a wider line if they are wet (high flow), prone to bleed- show-through, or highly saturated. Also, if an ink does not generate a crisp clean line edge, the line appears a bit wide.

The inks that include an iron-gall component are the most likely not to be influenced by changes of paper or pen wetness, have very high line quality, and can readily achieve hair's-breadth lines.

It seems that the Noodler's family of 'bulletproof' inks tend to run a bit wider than most aniline dye inks, but the bulletproof inks are quite idiosyncratic, so there are numerous exceptions to that tendency.

Of the few nano particle inks I've used, they tend to run a bit narrow, with the Sailor sei-boku being quite impressive.

Also, I've noticed that diluting an ink can tighten-up the line.

My Ink Reviews include a 'NIB-ism' image depicting the line width of the pens used, and as I try to use a few pens consistently for inks of a given colour (Blue, Blue-Black, Turquoise, Brown, etc.), one can do a quick comparison of the different inks, or a more extensive (coma-inducing) exploration by comparing the Written Samples from various pen+paper combos. The OOTT Summary shows ten Blue inks from the same six pens, so that may be of some interest. OOTT Summary

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

From my experience, there is some variation in the line-width generated by different inks. However it is very dependent on the pen+paper combo and the author's manner of writing, so a change of paper/pen may cause an otherwise high performing ink to cross a tipping point, then start to misbehave.

In very broad terms, inks tend to give a wider line if they are wet (high flow), prone to bleed- show-through, or highly saturated. Also, if an ink does not generate a crisp clean line edge, the line appears a bit wide.

The inks that include an iron-gall component are the most likely not to be influenced by changes of paper or pen wetness, have very high line quality, and can readily achieve hair's-breadth lines.

It seems that the Noodler's family of 'bulletproof' inks tend to run a bit wider than most aniline dye inks, but the bulletproof inks are quite idiosyncratic, so there are numerous exceptions to that tendency.

Of the few nano particle inks I've used, they tend to run a bit narrow, with the Sailor sei-boku being quite impressive.

Also, I've noticed that diluting an ink can tighten-up the line.

My Ink Reviews include a 'NIB-ism' image depicting the line width of the pens used, and as I try to use a few pens consistently for inks of a given colour (Blue, Blue-Black, Turquoise, Brown, etc.), one can do a quick comparison of the different inks, or a more extensive (coma-inducing) exploration by comparing the Written Samples from various pen+paper combos. The OOTT Summary shows ten Blue inks from the same six pens, so that may be of some interest. OOTT Summary

Bye,

S1

"Nano particle ink" is a new one to me. Are there any issues as with Iron gall ink? Any samples of the Sailor sei-boku writing as a comparison available?

In my experience, those inks with a lower concentration of dyes and surfactants will give you a narrower line in the same pen than their richer cousins. For example, Sailor Jentle, Sheaffer Skrip and Parker Quink all write narrower lines than Private Reserve or Noodlers. As others have said, the Iron-Gall based and Pigment based inks also write narrower lines.

Diamine are mixed bag. Some will write wider lines than others, eg. Diamine Sapphire Blue writes a wider line than WES Kensington Blue. And Noodler's Ottoman Azure writes a relatively narrow line for a Noodler's ink. Noodler's Midway Blue writes the widest line of any I have come across.

However, the luxury inks Visconti Blue and Parker Penman Sapphire also write lines that match Sailor Jentle. Go figure...

Don't forget, just as you would use a dry ink to control flow in a wet pen, you can use a spreading ink like a Noodlers or a Private Reserve to make a narrow pen write a line that is perhaps more comfortably wide (and of course, vice versa).

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Hi,

. . .

. . .

. . .

Bye,

S1

"Nano particle ink" is a new one to me. Are there any issues as with Iron gall ink? Any samples of the Sailor sei-boku writing as a comparison available?

Hi,

Both the IG inks and the nano particle inks require vigilance to avoid dry-out, and pen cleansing before and after use. Those are simple common sense measures that can be achieved without a fuss.

The nano particle inks from Sailor and Platinum have been in the market for a while, but their penetration doesn't seem all that high. As mentioned, I'm impressed with the Sailor sei-boku, but I just don't use it so often - it seems like a very good answer waiting for just the right question. (?)

For more information about the various nano inks kindly troll through this Forum and the entries in the Ink Review Forum.

If you're not in a dreadful hurry I should be able to squeeze some comparison samples of sei-boku towards the top of my bottomless To Do list, so please let me know the pen's nib width you have in mind or a specific pen+nib you intend to use.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

. . .

. . .

. . .

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Both the IG inks and the nano particle inks require vigilance to avoid dry-out, and pen cleansing before and after use. Those are simple common sense measures that can be achieved without a fuss.

The nano particle inks from Sailor and Platinum have been in the market for a while, but their penetration doesn't seem all that high. As mentioned, I'm impressed with the Sailor sei-boku, but I just don't use it so often - it seems like a very good answer waiting for just the right question. (?)

For more information about the various nano inks kindly troll through this Forum and the entries in the Ink Review Forum.

If you're not in a dreadful hurry I should be able to squeeze some comparison samples of sei-boku towards the top of my bottomless To Do list, so please let me know the pen's nib width you have in mind or a specific pen+nib you intend to use.

Bye,

S1

Sandy1,

Thanks! I would like to try them in my MB 146 with a F nib as well as, my Visconti Homo Sapiens with F nibs.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope someone can assist me.

I have been using a Lamy in both Medium and Fine tip over the past year. I have had great flow from MANY different inks. I was really more partial to colors than performance, as they all worked well.

Recently i switched to an Extra Fine tip (same Lamy Pen) but my Noodlers Baystate blue seems to skip and scratch on some paper (cheaper paper if I had to generalize). I had been focused on De Atramentis ink but didn't carry that over with the switch from FIne to Extra Fine on my nibs.

Is this just a characteristic of the EF nib - or is my ink selection to blame? I really like the finer line, but its so bad on some paper the Lamy won't write at all - acts like its out of ink....on a few strokes on good paper (Rhodia pads from my friends at Goulette Pen) it all works again......I really don't want to have to avoid using my pen on "normal" paper.

THANKS - I appreciate any advice.