Twsbi 580

FoszFay

Hey,

This is my first TWSBI so I will not be comparing it to previous models as I can't. I will be reviewing this like it is a whole new pen, as it is..to me.

With a brand new pen in the market I couldn't think of a reason that would turn me off writing a review, my first review.

Well here goes. I hope you enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postage and Packaging

Well, I can't complain about the postage, .I purchased it on Thursday and got it the following Monday.

It was sent in a FedEx priority bag with no bubble wrap or padding. I seen the bag and it looked like it had been stuck on a conveyor belt because it was covered in rubber marks...Bad signs.

But when I opened it, the contents inside was a little damaged on the corners of the boxes but the actual pen display case was perfect, so who cares?

Build Quality

The moment I opened the cardboard box and go t out the clear display case I knew this was well built.

The case felt sturdy and was backed up when I finally got to the pen inside.

The pen has nice weight to it, mainly the cap which felt like the heaviest cap I've held. It is well balanced in the hand, unless you post it, which I don't recommend for looks and it also posts on the piston turning knob so it is possible to make a bit of a mess if bumped around.

Pen

I'll start at the top and work towards the base of the pen.

The cap was on pretty tight as their is an o-ring which feels like it holds it more securely than if you just tighten it all the way, which can put more force on the neck of the pen, which can result in cracking.

The nib and section are pretty normal looking. Although, they unscrew differently than your "normal" pen.

Barrel has some nice facets which feel good to the hand. I personally like the girth of the barrel, but this may be too large for smaller hands.

Now where the work happens... The piston knob turns reasonably smooth and does not feel cheap. I have only one other piston pen; Pelikan M800, and I have seen other reviews say that it is as smooth or even smoother than Pelikan's piston, this is false. Trust me, Pelikan just makes the best.

Aesthetics

What more can you want than a nice shiny, very shiny pen which let's you see all the stuff that goes on inside, I mean, it looks great and with a nice ink inside, it looks even better.

Performance

I ordered mine with the EF nib and also a 1.1 stub nib set.

They are both smooth and lay down a pretty juicy line.

I did wait for the EF until I purchased it and while waiting I seen a few people having problems with the 1.1 stub. Unfortunately this has also happened to me, but not as bad as others.

The EF performs great and has no issues with skipping or starting. It writes so easily, I leave it uncapped for say a minute, and even holding it by the end with no pressure it writes pretty much straight away all the time.

Overall

If you made it this far than I think you are now interested in this pen, and if you're not, than it must be a bad review because the pen is great.

If you have been thinking about buying it, I suggest you wait no longer. I really have nothing bad to say about it other than the 1.1 stub but from what in hear about TWSBI and their customer service, I have nothing to worry about.

One thing though, I have not mentioned is that it does one thing no other pen has done... Makes my hand sweat a bit. I don't know if it is due to the protective coating on the plastic or something else, but it just does something to my hands. It's not like dramatic sweating but I do have to wipe my hand after 5 or 10 minutes of continuous writing.

Thanks everyone for taking time to read this amateur review and I hope I have helped. Please feel free to comment and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Tom.

fpn_1365406554__2013-04-08_173216.png

fpn_1365406472__2013-04-08_173002.png

fpn_1365406004__2013-04-08_160606.png

fpn_1365406505__2013-04-08_173019.png

fpn_1365513795__2013-04-08_173124.png

Edited by FoszFay

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FoszFay

• Nick T

• 240KAR

• iLovPieNCake

Can you post some writing? I am ready to jump the gun on one of these and I'm debating EF or F.

Thanks for posting -- nice review!

What ink is that in your pen? I'm getting a 580 also, and a bottle of Diamine Red Dragon. I'm not sure I dare use the two together, though, because I'm worried that a dark red ink will stain the clear demonstrator. How's yours doing?

Sure. Although, be warned of my chicken scratch.

I thought it was a bit closer to my Pilot medium, but just using it after a while, the Pilot seemed quite a bit broader but it has been altered to write wetter.

Tom.

fpn_1365746609__2013-04-12_160334.png

Fuzzy,

It is inked with Yama-Budo and I have emptied it out and it was crystal clear. It is half full now and where the ink isn't, it is clean with no stains whatsoever.

You should have no problem using Diamine in it.

Tom.

I just ordered a 580 in (F) for notes at school.. My Pelikan m800 (M) and Safari (M) are way too broad. I hope the (F) is fine enough for everyday writing.

Yes, Pelikan nibs are quite wet and broad. I also own an M800 in medium.

The fine should be alright but if you do have problems, you could buy a separate nib set for $20.

And I'm sure you would be able to sell your F if you wanted to.

Tom.

Thank you for the review. It helped me make up my mind to buy a 580 to add to my 540:)

Cheers - Nicholas