Two Similar Wood Pens

jar

Long long ago in a land far far away I had two friends, brothers, so similar at first glance that one could be mistaken for the other yet once you really got to know them you found each to be unique and instantly recognizable from the very least clue.

I'd like to compare two corresponding pens, similar yet unique, each having traits the other lacks, each outstanding on its own, the Caran d'Ache Varius Metwood (rosewood) and the Graf von Faber Castell Classic in Pernambuco.

http://www.fototime.com/C0C101565F3586C/medium800.jpg

When you are first introduced to this couple you can see the basic similarities, both have wood bodies, bright finished caps and end pieces, are about the same length, both are slim and simple.

Closer inspection shows that one is a smooth hexagonal body while the other is a round ribbed body and a "nail" cap. The clips (and we will return to them later) are also different, one being a simple spring and the other a heaver hinged clip.

http://www.fototime.com/015EE91D2B09877/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1DA341397FECC7A/medium800.jpg

Both pens have screw caps and there you find more differences, the GvFC Classic takes only about three quarters of a turn to cap or uncap while the Cd'A Varius takes just over two full turns.

http://www.fototime.com/CA6EB51690AF1A5/medium800.jpg

Both pens are cartridge converter pens and the GvFC Classic takes over ten full turns to separate body and section while the Cd'A Varius takes far fewer turns but has an o-ring to keep the section and body secure.

http://www.fototime.com/9C53FABEC192A2F/medium800.jpg

The GvFC is slightly longer, wider and heavier than the Cd'A Varius.

http://www.fototime.com/0622A25FB2706E4/medium800.jpg

Also, while both sections are slim and concave, the section on the GvFC Classic is longer. In addition, you can order different sections for a Graf von Faber Classic pen, the standard Platinum plated one, a Sterling silver section or a resin section.

Now let me go back a moment to the clips. Both slide over fabric easily and hold securely but as I mentioned, the one of the GvFC Classic is hinged and spring loaded. In addition, underneath the sprung part of the clip GvFC has cut a series of ridges to help keep everything secure.

http://www.fototime.com/551375AE342C4F8/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/8A112CCA4E08662/medium800.jpg

Both pens post securely and when posted the GvFC Classic is just slightly longer.

http://www.fototime.com/58137C40EDE16A3/medium800.jpg

Another difference is that the converter on the Caran d'Ache Varius is a screw in type while the GvFC uses a push fit converter.

Both write smoothly, are reliable, come in a variety of nib styles and widths, both carry a lifetime warranty but only Graf von Faber Castell has an online link to buy spare or repair parts.

Which do I prefer?

Well I own more GvFC Classics than Cd'A Varius and the GvFC has a lower MSRP than the Cd'A products, but I keep finding one of my Varius pens inked and when I have both a Classic and a Varius inked it always seems the Varius runs out sooner. Since both are equally wet and it doesn't seem to matter whether the Classic is a fine and the Varius a medium or the Classic a medium and the Varius a fine, I feel like the Varius must get used more.

Regardless, it would be hard to go wrong with either.

Edited by jar

My Website

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• da vinci

• bcbg

• Audit This

Interesting review, thank you.

How do you find the wooden barrels wear compared to metal or resin? Are they more prone to scratches an scrapes?

Own a Varius Metwood and have to say, it's my favourite pen. I find its nib stiffer to that on the GvFC.

From memory though, the converter on my Varius is a push fit.

bon chic bon genre

How do you find the wooden barrels wear compared to metal or resin? Are they more prone to scratches an scrapes?

How do wooden tables and desks wear? How does an old cane wear?

My Website

Own a Varius Metwood and have to say, it's my favourite pen. I find its nib stiffer to that on the GvFC.

From memory though, the converter on my Varius is a push fit.

Yeah, it's surely a running change. My Ecridors are push fit and my older Hexagonal Chinablack is also a push fit converter.

My Website

It is always a pleasure to see and read about your pens, jar. Thank you for exhibiting these two beauties.

Thank for the comparison. Interesting to see the C'Da is more enjoyable experience.

Jar - you must have a serious collection of pens, good pens. Have you ever listed them on FPN?

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Thank for the comparison. Interesting to see the C'Da is more enjoyable experience.

Jar - you must have a serious collection of pens, good pens. Have you ever listed them on FPN?

Actually I don't have all that many pens; compared to many folk here at FPN I have a relatively small collection, under 300 pens. Considering that I've been accumulating pens since Ike was President that's not all that impressive. Some folk here have more desk pens than I have pens total, more Sheaffer pens than I have total, more Parker pens than I have total, more Montblanc pens than I have total.

And yes, I'm certainly surprised by the Cd'A pens myself.

http://www.fototime.com/E2B1633572D95C4/large.jpg

Edited by jar

My Website

I dont really know about a cane although I can probably guess. Wooden furniture wears well when subjected to the rigours of every day life as a piece of furniture. I dont own any resin furniture though so I wouldn't know whether one wears better than the other - which was the point of my question.

I dont really know about a cane although I can probably guess. Wooden furniture wears well when subjected to the rigours of every day life as a piece of furniture. I dont own any resin furniture though so I wouldn't know whether one wears better than the other - which was the point of my question.

But you have your answer; which is "better" is irrelevant. They are simply different and so will wear differently.

My Website

thanks for the interesting review. in your experience, are the wood barrels absorbent, staining permanently from ink smudges or skin oils?

My Varius has darkened slightly with age ( visible lower down the barrel). I like that organic, evolving quality: it gives life and character to a pen.

No doubt, the skin's natural oils help condition the wood, too.

Edited by bcbg

bon chic bon genre

nice comparaison but as i can see the Caran d'ache is slimmer thant the graf no??

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

nice comparaison but as i can see the Caran d'ache is slimmer thant the graf no??

Yes, the Caran d'Ache Varius is a little slimmer than the Graf von Faber Castell Classic. As I said in the OP the GvFC is slightly longer, wider and heavier than the Cd'A Varius.

http://www.fototime.com/0622A25FB2706E4/medium800.jpg

I'm really surprised since I generally find myself using wider body pens at how often it seems one of the Cd'A pens is what I end up choosing but they are so well balanced, the sections so matched to my hand, the nibs so reliable, wet and controllable that they seem to end up in rotation even when I try to put them away.

My Website

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for guiding me here jar! These are my two favourite wooden pens of modern or recent issue. I have to agree, I'd probably find myself reaching for the Varius more, going by my satisfaction with the Leman.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism