Montblanc Meisterstück 146 Ramsès Ii

sny

Review of the Montblanc Meisterstück 146 Ramsès II

Introduction

I have been searching for one of these Montblanc 146 Ramsès II for quite a long time. The prices were very high or the pen wasn't in decent condition. Until I found a pen that was both in very good condition and fairly priced. I can only say I didn't regret my purchase at all.

Appearance & Design (10)

The design of this pen is brilliant. The lapis lazuli and its intense blue and its gold particles is a perfect match to the vermeil body.

_36E8938.JPG

The cap is made of lapis lazuli, a semi-precious stone prized since antiquity. It was the pharaohs' favorite stone and was often used for amulets and ornaments. The rest of the pen is in Vermeil (which means gold plated sterling silver).

_36E8946.JPG

The pen is named after one of the greatest and most powerful pharaoh of the Egyptian Empire (Nineteenth dynasty). Ramses reigned during the 13th Century BC. The whole design easily identifies with the ancient Egyptian culture. The only downside of this design is that the pen isn't discrete at all. It's nearly impossible to use it in public without getting some remarks from the people around you.

Construction & Quality (10)

The pen feels quite heavy in the hand and although the materials aren't hard as granite, the pen feels more solid that one would think. The construction is perfect, it's a true special edition Montblanc. I would say that the quality is more one of the PoA Series than one of the Writers Edition Series (maybe because of the weight).

_36E8943.JPG

Weight & Dimensions

The 146 Ramsès II is based on the Meisterstück 146 and retains its proportions, although being a bit bulkier (especially the cap).

The Ramsès II feels noticeably heavier than any resign & gold Meisterstücks. It's comparable with the Solitaires Meisterstück. The pen feels very nice in the hand, it's quite big after all and mostly suited to those who have relatively large hands.

Nib & Performance (10)

The Nib is made of 18kt gold and is partially rhodium plated. It's a regular 146 Nib with no particular decoration.

_36E8956.JPG

The pen came with a fine (F) nib which I didn't like. I had the nib exchanged by Montblanc for a BB Nib. The pen came back with what I would call a BBB nib. This nib is really one of the bests I've ever written with (on par with my Gaius Maecenas). It's very smooth and wet while not being slippery. It lays down a very nice amount of ink.

_36E8963.JPG

Because of the nib size, this pen is used to write letters or documents in which my writing is quite big. Writing with it is a pleasure, and I can write for hours without any complaint.

Filling System & Maintenance (8)

Since the pen is based on a MB 146 it's a piston filler. The piston moves smoothly and the pen holds a decent amount of ink (especially considering the nib size).

Regarding maintenance, the nib disassembly requires some special tools. Therefore I give it a 8 out of 10.

Cost & Value (10)

The pen is quite expensive. I had to wait for very long to find one that was both in good condition and reasonably priced. I paid 1500$ for it. Although the pen is still very expensive (for me at least), it's such a joy to use and to look at that I think it's worth what it costs.

_36E8951.JPG

Conclusion (9.7/10)

I love this pen nearly as much as my Gaius Maecenas. I am passionate about Greek / Roman and Egyptian culture so this pen is a really nice adding to my growing collection.

I hope you'll enjoy this review and forgive my approximate English.

Regards,

S.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sny

• Inked

• vondauster

• lintonwang

Stunning.

"As the purse is emptied, the heart is filled." -- Victor Hugo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/centurycigar/2j26aaa_zpsf21706be.png

The combination of lapis and vermeil is very pleasant to look at. It's a low priority but one of these pens would be a nice addition to my collection.

An excellent review sny, :clap1: and I must compliment you on your choice of nib, which really suits your attractive handwriting (gorgeous ink :thumbup: ).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Pavoni.

Thank you for a stunning review of this breath-taking pen, and for sharing something of such exquisite beauty. Congratulations, and may it bring you thousands of hours of joy!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

OMG - that pen will take your breath away...stunning!

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

the pen is very nice,congratulations.Just can you tell me how old is this pen??And you've said it's the standard 146 nib but i see here is a 18K nib where the 146 is filled with a 14k since a while!You're lucky they've changed your 18k ef with a 18k BB they could have fit a 14k one wich would have be dammageable i think...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Beautiful pen, great review and photos, and your English is just fine! :)

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Very nice. From the writing sample I woul have guessed a "B", not a "BB".

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Thank you for your pleasing comments. The Ramses II was available since 1998 I think, I have to check that.

the pen is very nice,congratulations.Just can you tell me how old is this pen??And you've said it's the standard 146 nib but i see here is a 18K nib where the 146 is filled with a 14k since a while!You're lucky they've changed your 18k ef with a 18k BB they could have fit a 14k one wich would have be dammageable i think...

You are absolutely right. The nib is 18kt not 14kt as the normal 146. My Montblanc Boutique has been very helpful and told me they would put the same nib with a BB tip. I'm glad they didn't put a 14kt nib instead. I think the 18kt nib is smoother and flexier than the 146 14kt nib.

Very nice. From the writing sample I woul have guessed a "B", not a "BB".

That's surely because I write with the tip of the nib not being parallel to the line I'm writing. The writing sample is also quite big, if I write smaller characters the width becomes more obvious.

I love BB nibs and I can assure you that this one is noticeably wider than my other BBs, which was a very nice surprise as the pen came back.

Regards,

S.