Waterman Inspired Blue

Sandy1

☞ For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

☞ Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below. As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

As Photo*ucket unwisely eliminated the functionality to depict thumbnails as required, there is a need to conserve bandwidth, so Hi-Res scans will be provided on request only.

-}÷{-

Nota Benne:

Despite changes of name & packaging we have been told that Inspired Blue is the same ink as Waterman South Sea Blue. As there was no furore about the ink itself, I thought to append the following Written Samples to my previous Review of WSSBl as comparison exemplars, but to support ease of identification, indexing, retrieval, etc., I chose to post this as a new Ink Review.

Fidelity

• One may compare the ink depicted here to the representation on the waterman dot com site, though at time of writing this ink was listed under 'South Sea Blue'. LINK
  • Those who have nothing better to do or are bored beyond belief may avail themselves of the Waterman Vitual Writing facility to generate an 'official' written sample. (Nothing naughty!) LINK

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK094_zpsef521d7b.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK103_zps2457f89e.jpg

L → R: M200, TWSBI, 1911.

WRITTEN SAMPLES: Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

As we have a plethora of WSSBl Reviews and other depictions, the extent of the Written Samples is a bit lean, though with enough meat on the bone to serve as an overview, and to support comparison to other inks of a similar colour that I've reviewed.

Figure 3.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK091_zpse566d658.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK092_zpse86a8b26.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK093_zpsefb2d33e.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK087_zps51f00567.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Clairefontaine Triomphe.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK086_zps036eeb25.jpg

Comparison Exemplars

These were done up to enable on-the-level comparison of WIBl to Blue inks that I've reviewed. These samples were written with the M200+EF, which is a likely pen in common.

Figure 8.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK085_zps0296ce8f.jpg

Figure 9.

Papers: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK090_zps446de1ff.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK095_zps80e2bc62.jpg

Figure 11.

Bleed- Show-Through on Staples.

(Obverse of Figure 6.)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Inspired%20Blue/INK089_zps553868b2.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available at time of writing.

Daily writer?

• Quite possible.

A go-to ink?

• When a departure from Basic Blue would be refreshing.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Will handle most downward & lateral business correspondence, but nothing dour. For upward correspondence, more gravitas or stealth may be preferred.
  • The writing experience is OK, but those who write at length with narrow nibs may prefer an ink with higher lubricity.
  • Readability is good, though I find it just a tad vibrant for extended sessions.
  • Line quality suits tiny marginalia & annotation.
  • Enough zip for dedicated forms work; and the colour is much preferred for editing & mark-up of material printed in Black.
  • Lacks the zap for error correction & grading.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• For charts & graphs this will be a good default as the Aqua for both area & line formats.
  • Will do the necessary for taut lines, but may be a bit wan for labels.
  • As a watercolour, there is the temptation to dip right into the bottle. *tsk tsk* The colour is quite uniform, without separation of the dye/s, so smooth gradients are possible. As expected, the hue shifts a bit towards Green as the value becomes lighter. After exposure to water, there was an inky remnant, so WIBl may not be sponged away completely.

Students:

• Tempting.
  • Certainly OK for general notes, and mark-up of material printed in Black, but it shares the usual shortcomings of most FP inks: low water resistance and likelihood of bleed- show-through on 'lowest bidder' papers.
  • Might be just the thing for assignments - WIBl may enliven the mood of the person grading the paper, resulting in somewhat lenient treatment.

Personal:

• Quite easily.
  • A bit of history: I gifted my nearly full bottle of WSSBl to a friend, who quite enjoyed the ink; and the letters I received written in that ink looked very nice indeed. So even though I didn't care to write with the ink, I did enjoy it as a recipient. (Was I more impetuous than usual in gifting the ink? Or had I desired to receive letters written with WSSBl?)
  • For pro forma personal business writing, it may be a bit 'flimsy', so could be a good pick when one chooses to distract unwelcome third parties by sending mixed messages.
  • As ever, I could see using WIBl for writing about routine pleasant, trivial and amusing topics.
  • WIBl can be manipulated to generate a range of looks without misbehaving, so the field seems clear for a wide range of nib width shape & wetness, and writing papers

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Moderate.

Nib Dry-Out:

• Not noticed.

Start-Up:

• Reliable.

Lubricity:

• Adequate.
  • Narrow nibs on toothy papers may be less than inviting.

Nib Creep:

• None.

Staining (pen):

• None after five days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed - Show-Through:

• Staples: As shown in Figure 11.
  • HPJ1124: A few freckles from the C74.
  • All other pen+paper combos were OK for two-sided use.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Very faint.
  • Slightly sharp olde tyme inky goodness.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not apparent.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Fast and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated limitation.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Relaxed yet alert.
  • Convivial.

Saturation:

• A fully-inked line takes a bit of effort.

Shading Potential:

• Pervasive and modest.
  • Possible from narrow nibs. :)

Line Quality:

• High throughout.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit less than expected, though only three pens were used.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected, even though six papers were used.

Malleability:

• Just enough.
  • While WIBl is not highly responsive, the performance envelope is large enough to accommodate quite a range of pens & papers.
  • I reckon the wily practitioner would choose their pen to establish the value (light - dark), then consider the papers' absorbency and influence on shading.
  • As expected, the dry hard surface of the Natural White G Lalo caused some colour-shift. Since I have a penchant for Turquoise inks on Natural White papers, I found the results rather pleasant: the ink is Blue-leaning, so the perceived colour does not shift into Green territory.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Crisp whites & natural whites.

Trip-Wire Papers:

• I would avoid dirty whites, and sizzling papers loaded to the gunnels with optical brightening agents, OBAs.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• As mentioned above, I really didn't care for the feel of the narrow nib on C/P papers.
  • The overall quality of what was written was very good indeed, with less line-width gain (spread) than usual. (Compare Figure 6 to Figure 7.)

Tinted Papers:

• Could manage most modest tints from a slightly wet pen.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Those running narrow nibs may well appreciate the comfort of smooth coated papers, as would those who are in hot pursuit of greater shading.
  • I very much enjoy WIBl on the Original Crown Mill 100% cotton.

ETC:

Majik:

• Not really.

Billets Doux?

• Not from yours truly.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• One might think I'd choose something on the G Lalo, but no - none of the pens were wet enough to overcome that paper's hard ink-repellent surface. So the 1911 on Rhodia gets the nod.
  • The wide wet nib gives high coverage of the page, which combined with the shading of the ink, gives an overall 'rippling' effect.
  • The Rhodia promotes the shading, and isn't so snappy to interfere with the rippling effect.

Yickity Yackity:

• If the ink has in fact changed, then I reckon its for the better.
  • Ah kushbaby, do you recognise your darling in its new kit?

=== ===

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens:

Written Samples:

A. Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib.

B. TWSBI 530 + steel M nib.

C. Sailor 1911 + 14K MS nib.

Lines & labels:

◇ Pelikan 4001 Brown from a Pilot Penmanship + XF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Clairefontaine Triomphe: brushed vellum, 90gsm.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figure 2 was scanned at 300 dpi, other Figures at 200 dpi.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Other Inks

◇ This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Turquoise and Blue inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

◇ Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Post depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, solar flare activity, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Waterman Inspired Blue Waterman South Sea Blue Turquoise Aqua 2012 2013

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Frank C

• cellmatrix

• wastelanded

You know, strange it may be (and it is to me now that I've thought about it), I don't think I have ever tried a Waterman ink. I'll have to fix that. This looks like a nice, lively ink, a less eye-searing turquoise, kind of like the Pelikan Türkis your enabling delightful review convinced me to try.

Top notch as always, Number 1.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Great review Sandy! This ink is a bit light for my tastes but I really enjoy mixing this ink with Watermans black (1:1 or 5:4 blue:black). Pendleton Brown showed me this mix which he calls blakwa. If you ever have a chance try it, I bet you would like it. Keep up the great work on the reviews, I always learn from them!

You know, strange it may be (and it is to me now that I've thought about it), I don't think I have ever tried a Waterman ink. I'll have to fix that. This looks like a nice, lively ink, a less eye-searing turquoise, kind of like the Pelikan Türkis your enabling delightful review convinced me to try.

Top notch as always, Number 1.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words! :)

Ah yes - too often 'standard' inks are overlooked in our search for something more unique / personal.

I think this ink would be a pleasant addition to the array of those using a Blue that leans slightly Violet-Indigo, such as Waterman's own Serenity or Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

I hope you're enjoying the P4T!

Bye,

S1

____

Pelikan 4001 Türkis / Turquoise My Review

Great review Sandy! This ink is a bit light for my tastes but I really enjoy mixing this ink with Watermans black (1:1 or 5:4 blue:black). Pendleton Brown showed me this mix which he calls blakwa. If you ever have a chance try it, I bet you would like it. Keep up the great work on the reviews, I always learn from them!

Hi,

Thanks! :happyberet:

I think that the performance profile of WIBl could handle a wet pen to give a darker value.

Adding Black will not only alter the value (light - dark) but lower the chroma (vibrancy). As I don't use Black FP ink, I think I'll have to take a pass on trying the blakwa mix, but as WIBl is a 'safe' ink, it would be a good candidate for mixing.

I'm glad you are learning from these reviews! Not all my chatter is factual, so be sure to form your own opinion based on the Written Samples; and keep them in context of other ink/s that you have which I've reviewed.

Bye,

S1

It was the first shading ink I got. (under the old name).

I still have a 1/3rd of the bottle.

I do occasionally test it against another new turquoise ink. I seem to have 5 or 6 of them now.

It is still a very fine fun shading ink, and affordable.

When the ink bottle goes empty, it will be refilled ASAP.

The old ink bottle is quite serviceable, tilting for ease of filling when low.

If you don't have it, you should.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm glad you are learning from these reviews! Not all my chatter is factual, so be sure to form your own opinion based on the Written Samples; and keep them in context of other ink/s that you have which I've reviewed.

[/font]

Dont worry, I definitely have my own opinions, which often but don't always reflect yours, like the difference in our attitude towards blakwa. Anyway, your reviews are fun to read, keep up the good work. Your logo rocks too (one day I really hope to surf cape saint francis).

Edited by cellmatrix

I hope you're enjoying the P4T!

____

Pelikan 4001 Türkis / Turquoise My Review

Very much so, thanks! It's brightened more than one winter day.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks for the review. The old South Seas Blue was one of my favorites. I still have a bottle or two around. I have a bottle of the Inspired Blue, but have not yet opened it. (I always liked the phenol smell of the old stuff, the new is, well, boring.)

I had Mr. Brown work on the nib of my new Edison pneumatic filler at the LA Pen Show. When he finished, he filled it with his trademark "BläkWä". Basically, it is black with just a hint of blue. I liked it, but I did not mix up a batch for myself. Here's a link.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

It was the first shading ink I got. (under the old name).

I still have a 1/3rd of the bottle.

I do occasionally test it against another new turquoise ink. I seem to have 5 or 6 of them now.

It is still a very fine fun shading ink, and affordable.

When the ink bottle goes empty, it will be refilled ASAP.

The old ink bottle is quite serviceable, tilting for ease of filling when low.

If you don't have it, you should.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with WIBl. :thumbup:

I'm glad that it remains one of your 'must have' inks.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review. The old South Seas Blue was one of my favorites. I still have a bottle or two around. I have a bottle of the Inspired Blue, but have not yet opened it. (I always liked the phenol smell of the old stuff, the new is, well, boring.)

I had Mr. Brown work on the nib of my new Edison pneumatic filler at the LA Pen Show. When he finished, he filled it with his trademark "BläkWä". Basically, it is black with just a hint of blue. I liked it, but I did not mix up a batch for myself. Here's a link.

Hi,

You're welcome!

WSSBl does have a very strong following, and I hope that this ink is in fact the same stuff in terms of appearance & performance, and that no one is disappointed.

Thanks for the link to "BläkWä". Even though I do not use Black FP inks, MB Albert Einstein, (a neutral Grey with high shading potential), is/was on the cusp of being relegated to the Mixing Corral, so if it is sent into limbo, perhaps I'll try a mix with WIBl - Gräquä?

Bye,

S1

Hi,

You're welcome!

WSSBl does have a very strong following, and I hope that this ink is in fact the same stuff in terms of appearance & performance, and that no one is disappointed.

Thanks for the link to "BläkWä". Even though I do not use Black FP inks, MB Albert Einstein, (a neutral Grey with high shading potential), is/was on the cusp of being relegated to the Mixing Corral, so if it is sent into limbo, perhaps I'll try a mix with WIBl - Gräquä?

Bye,

S1

That's a good idea. I have some of the Einstein ink—I am always on the look out for a gray I like and this wasn't it.

Maybe I'll mix it with MB "Ink of Friendship" and make "Friendenstein" ink.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

That's a good idea. I have some of the Einstein ink—I am always on the look out for a gray I like and this wasn't it.

Maybe I'll mix it with MB "Ink of Friendship" and make "Friendenstein" ink.

:roflmho:

• 1 month later...

good review :thumbup: and looks close to the Omas turquoise

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

This is a beautiful ink to use in personal correspondence.

I first used it in a Parker I.M fountain pen and on the page it had a tendency to darken and appeared nearly green on the page. (The I.M did have a over-generous size Medium nib.)

However, on switching it to an 88 model, that medium nib is more F - M, it writes with a lighter hue. A gorgeous shade of turquoise.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

good review :thumbup: and looks close to the Omas turquoise

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

Ah, I consider Omas Turquoise to be one of the 'true' Turquoise inks which lean towards Cyan, while WIBl leans much more Blue.

(OK, that claim is suspect: My contradictions as to the Blue-Turquise-Cyan boundaries are well known and thoroughly documented. :wacko: )

Omas Turquise is of a lighter value, so in combination with the colour, it has good loft - as if it could become airborne.

I've taken a look at Omas Turquoise, most recently depicted in a set of Comparison Exemplars at Post № 21, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/157392-omas-turquoise/page__view__findpost__p__2368198

The TWSBI 530 is a pen in common with the WIBl samples shown in this Review, so on-the-level comparison is facilitated.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 2 months later...

Post deleted by author; question answered elsewhere. :D

Thanks,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• 2 months later...

I have two vintage bottles of Waterman's South Seas Blue and, to me, this is an exact duplication. Plus, I LOVE the artwork on the South Seas boxes. Quite peaceful and reminds me of our second home on the beach in Florida

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL