Edison Beaumont

Nebelmeer80

Hello everybody, this is my very first post on FPN and my first review.

Some days ago I was browsing the forum in search of some info on my upcoming purchase, and nothing shown up on this specific model. So, now that the pen is in my hands, here we go with a brief review of the Edison Beaumont in Black Onyx Flakes acrylic.

Appearance and Design: 9 / 10

The pen presents a very classy design, both elegant and understated yet eye-catching because of the acrylic pattern. Although the black/gray/white pattern looks dull in the photographs, the semi-transparent acrylic has a great depth, you can actually spot more layers of flakes, and it sparkles under light. The acrylic being extremely polished, gives the impression of a glass barrell full of little silvery rocks. The oversize nib makes a bold statement on this pen, and is probably the feature I like the most.

Construction and quality: 8 / 10

Outside finish is top notch, everything is polished and perfectly assembled, there's really no sense at all that the pen is made of different pieces. For example the blind cap looks and feel like it's part of the barrel, yet it's a separate screwed in piece. Threads are precise and the fit of the cap and section is snug. Overall a very solid pen (gets a 10/10)

Inside things get worse, and I mean really worse... There's a strong smell of burnt acrylic inside the cap and barrel, but that's ok, it will vanish in time. The real problem is that there are also residues, in form of yellow-brownish dust. Had to clean them thoroughly with a bath in water and dish detergent. That's not what you expect from a 130,00 euros pen. (gets a 5/10)

Weight and dimensions: 10/10

Being lightweight, it feels nice both posted and unposted. With the cap posted you benefit a larger size for long writing sessions, unposted it still feels comfortable for taking quick notes. Capped is a medium sized pen that fits almost everywhere.

Nib and performance: 10/10

The nib is gold plated steel in medium size. This model was supposed to have the rhodium coated nib, but I guess that the shop just screwed in the medium nib they had in stock when I placed my order. Good for me, as I really like this two tones nib.

It's extremely smooth at basically all angles and gives little feedback (depending on paper). Not so wet actually, but also no skips or scratches on the paper. It will probably benefit from a couple of flushes with water.

Filling system and maintenance: 8/10

Not much to say here: standard cartridges or the provided coverter. A simple plug&play pen.

Cost and value: 8 /10

At 130 euros is not cheap, but the overall quality, expecially on the nib side, is worth the price.

I'm really satisfied with this pen, I like the colour (better than expected), I like the warm feel in the hand and I expecially like the nib! A good daily writer that I hope will stay with me for a long time.

And now the pictures:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3033/sdc14895y.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3946/sdc14896.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3115/sdc14897g.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7660/sdc14902p.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2716/sdc14903.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nebelmeer80

• schwartz54

• anaximander

• humsin

Thanks for reviewing this pen. It's one of my favorites and it's surprising that no one has reviewed it previously.

Hand-fit, of course, is an individual thing, but I find this to be one of the most comfortable pens I own. I think it's a combination of the hourglass-shaped section and the large nib.

Brian's acrylic pens are often a little stinky when you first get them, but in my experience the acrylic smell fades pretty quickly. I've never experienced the brownish residue that you mention. Sounds like a step got skipped.

I can't say enough about the material on this pen. I have a thing for pens in the grey/silver range and this one is right up there with my Pelikan Chicago. Like many of Brian's acrylics, the depth is hard to capture in photographs, but I think you did a pretty good job in the third photo above.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I look forward to more reviews from you.

I think the price is very good especially considering how this pen is hand turned by one person!

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Thanks for reviewing this pen. It's one of my favorites and it's surprising that no one has reviewed it previously.

Hand-fit, of course, is an individual thing, but I find this to be one of the most comfortable pens I own. I think it's a combination of the hourglass-shaped section and the large nib.

Brian's acrylic pens are often a little stinky when you first get them, but in my experience the acrylic smell fades pretty quickly. I've never experienced the brownish residue that you mention. Sounds like a step got skipped.

I can't say enough about the material on this pen. I have a thing for pens in the grey/silver range and this one is right up there with my Pelikan Chicago. Like many of Brian's acrylics, the depth is hard to capture in photographs, but I think you did a pretty good job in the third photo above.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I look forward to more reviews from you.

That silvery grey is indeed awesome. At first I was captured by the Bedrock Flakes model, but, apart not being a fan of gold trims, the more I looked at it the more I noticed the additional green/grey tones, which give it a earthy feel. I'm more into red/amber/brown tones. The blue/black of the Sapphire model was too dull so I tried the Black Onyx, which if anything at least had a continuos shift in tones from black to white. I saw some potential, despite the official pictures looking like they were taken from an old black ad white magazine.

To be honest I'd exchange it anyday with some brownish/amber acrylic in the signature line, but still this is a great looking pen

Very nice review. I have a quick question. I love the designs for the Edison pens, but the one Edison I bought (the Nouveau from Goulet Pens) has had some hard starting problems. I got an additional nib, but that has the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just this one pen. Thanks!

Very nice review. I have a quick question. I love the designs for the Edison pens, but the one Edison I bought (the Nouveau from Goulet Pens) has had some hard starting problems. I got an additional nib, but that has the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just this one pen. Thanks!

Along with the pen I purchased a can of Visconti black cartridges, just to try the ink. It took one minute or so for the nib to receive the ink and it wrote well, but as soon as I laid it down for a moment it had problem restarting, sometimes even during writing. Dunno if it was the ink (which was very wet by the way), the cartridge, or the fact that it needed a lot more time to fill the feed. Or maybe the nib/feed were dirty. Anyway, since I wanted to try the pen, I immediately got rid of the cartridge,gave it a flush, put the converter on and filled with Parker black Quink. No problem at all. Once the converter is empty I will retry with Visconti cartridge to see what happens and report back

If you have an issue with one of our nibs, don't hesitate to reach out. We'll take care of you!

Brian at Edison

If you have an issue with one of our nibs, don't hesitate to reach out. We'll take care of you!

Brian at Edison

Another reason to get an Edison right here. The Company (ie Brian) cares. Doesn't get much better than this. :thumbup:

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Definitely get up with Brian about this issue. But also try flushing the pen thoroughly - and maybe try a different ink to see it it's the problem.

One of the things I LOVE about my Edisons is that they write first time, every time. I even have some that will start right up after weeks of non-use (I hate hard-starters).

But Brian will take care of you! Try flushing and another ink, and contact him if problem persists.

HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Brian at Edison

I purchased one of the Bedrock Flake models and found the nib was hard to start up as well, although it wrote perfectly one I got started. I contacted Brian via e-mail and within the hour he replied with an offer to fix the problem. The pen is currently at Edison Pens, and I can't wait to get it back and start using it again. This kind of commitment to customer is one of the great things about Edison Pens, and Twsbi as well. I can assure you I will be a repeat customer at both companies in the future.