Sheaffer 100 Review And Pics

linuxid10t

Well, guys, this is my first post here on FPN, but I have lurked a bit in the past. Anyway, I posted this to reddit earlier, but I wanted to post it here too.

Link: http://imgur.com/a/zivGg

http://i.imgur.com/aNdbaQs.jpg

Pen: Sheaffer 100 Chrome

Nib: Medium (larger than I expected)

Ink: Sheaffer Skrip Blue (Slovakian)

Paper: 20 lb copy paper

Writing sample

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Thoughts and Notes

This is only my second fountain pen, and I'm kind of new at this so thank you for the support. That being said, the first thing I noticed is just how wide this is for a medium nib. In comparison to my Parker Urban, it is quite a bit wider.

Parker here -> Not quite as wide

Going on, it is also very wet and smooth for a $29 stainless steel nib pen. I really enjoy how heavy it is, but when it is posted, it is practically unusable. Right now I'm just using a cartridge it came with but I like the piston converter it comes with and the thought it was lubed out of the factory. I have also been pleasantly surprised about the included ink since there are mixed reviews on it. Lastly, the clip is tight, and when I mean tight, I mean REALLY tight. That being said, it makes me feel comfortable while I'm riding my motorcycle with it.

Enjoy!

http://i.imgur.com/cmtjyUI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EdOlUUN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FvkWaRu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WOUpSoG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DJk07uV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uMbmmFT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GnRK2pn.jpg

Edited by linuxid10t

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• linuxid10t

• Vendome

• lovemy51

• jacksterp

Nice review.

How do you find the grip section? Is it slippery or become slippery with extended use?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

linuxid10t:

Great review and photos. This is a pen I was interested in and your review has helped me make up my mind.

I appreciate your efforts.

Enjoy your pens.

Don

Nice review.

How do you find the grip section? Is it slippery or become slippery with extended use?

This is a bit tough of a question for me to answer due to the way I hold my pens. That being said, it probably is to a degree, but the kicker is that you really don't need to apply any pressure. Any amount of contact with the paper results in ink gushing forward. My final answer would be that it really isn't a problem at all and not to let it discourage you from buying one. I actually feel the all metal build of the pen makes it feel VERY premium.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like an easy to use and very enjoyable pen.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

:W2FPN: and thx for the review. nice pen!

my only complaint is the metal section (i had to sand mine to a rougher feel). the nib is quite smooth!

congrats!

• 4 weeks later...

A workhorse of a pen! I have mine with a F nib and used for daily writing (got the Ferrari Edition because of the lovely Rosso Corsa color). Smooth writer and pen has good weight and balance - does not make your hands tire easily. I prefer using it unposted for a lighter feel. To me the steel grip poses no issues. A must have pen :thumbup:

I was thinking of picking one of these up and now I think I will. It was a great review and great pictures to go with it as well....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great review. I keep looking at the 100's. After reading the reviews, I think I might have to add one to my collection.

Now, how to sneak it into the house undetected? ;)

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Now, how to sneak it into the house undetected? ;)

Once you figure it out tell me how :P

They have some great matted versions of this pen that I would love to get. This post definitely convinced me to gt it next!

Thanks for the review.

May look at it after the New England pen Show, if there is any money left over :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I have this in matte blue, M nib and love it. So smooth.... Right now it's inked with Noodler's LIberty's Elysium and the pen and ink get along fine.

It's not often that we see people doing reviews of cheaper pens around here, and as a student on a limited budget, I fully appreciate the efforts of those who do. Good to see you doing reviews of your pens as early as the second one :D As for the pen, I own a Sheaffer 300 and I'm quite please to see how similar the performance of this 100 is to mine. I may consider getting one if ever I sense inner qualms only a new fountain pen can satisfy, as I frequently do. ;)

Keep it up!

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

Cheers for the review of the 100.

I'm using a couple of vintage Parker fountain pens, but fancy a change to a more substantial pen.

I've already got an Intensity in Ultramarine, so may opt for the 100 in matte blue and black.

Jason

Long reign the House of Belmont.

• 5 weeks later...

I am a proud owner of the Ferrari version in its glorious red.

What attracted me was the looks and since it is my first Sheaffer I didn't know what to expect.

Impressive, solid, writes well....? Glad to say it is all of the above !

The cap closes with a reassuring click and M nib is smooth sailing all the way. I must say the finishing is top class for what most consider as an entry level FP. Because of this I just got another Sheaffer and it is the 300 straightline chase chrome FP beauty. Enjoy everyone!

nice review of a nice pen not too expensive.

Steve Teoh can we have pictures of the Ferrari version?

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Once you figure it out tell me how :P

Same here!

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

after having this pen for a while, i must say that i am not happy with its performance. i could have spent my money better on one of these: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer/imperials/sheaffer-330-imperial-fountain-pen-nos.html (no affiliation -it doesn't have to be from this vendor...)

the section is absolutely "slippery and a half" and the nib -tho' smooth- is not wet enough for my liking. not worth the $38 i paid -IMO, not even the price the OP paid!