Parker Im

usk15

This review is for a ballpoint alternative of fountain pens. In the last 15 years I was looking for the best ballpoint pen with the best G2 standard refill (Parker style). In all these years I own so many ballpoint pens from plastic to metal and from cheap to branded ones. For me, after this entire search, this is the ultimate ballpoint pen: Parker IM. I own 3 standard, different colours and 2 premium version.

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/5136/p1110796wpp.th.jpg

1. Appearance & Design (10/10)

I think this is a mix of classic and modern design in the same time. The premium version looks so good, like an executive expensive pen. I’ve notice that is a bit thicker then Parker Classic or Jotter, or classics Cross and Waterman ballpoint pens. It’s a great pen for everyday use.

2. Construction & Quality (10/10)

It’s all made from Brass metal; only plastic part is present on the barrel joints and really good quality plastic. Depict the fact is produce in China, the materials and construction are on high quality.

3. Weight and Dimensions (9.5/10)

I don’t have a scale but I think is about 25 grams as weight. So this mean is quit heavy, but well balanced. Some people may find the pen a bit too heavy for their taste, but some other people with big or long hands will like it. It’s measure 13.6 cm and 1.2 cm width, so not too long o big.

4. Nibs & Performance (8.5/10)

Usually G2 standard refills come in fine, medium or broad nibs, but I heard there are some refill with needle point as well (don’t know witch one). All Parker IM BP come from factory with Parker quink or quinkflow refill in medium size nib and blue colour. In all these years I’ve been try a lot of different refills and I’m still considering the Parker are the best ones, specially the Quinkflow (start immediately and write very smooth). Of course there are some not that good Parker refill, that why I think the percentage of good ones is about 70-80%. I have try also the Parker Gel refill, but not for my taste, and run out of ink pretty fast. In one of my Parker IM I have a Schmidt P950M Megaline Pressurised Refill Medium and are far more better then Fisher Space Pen Refill SPR4 Medium. Due that there are so many variety of producer and colours I cannot say witch one suit each person.

5. Filling System & Maintenance (9.5/10)

Easy peasy. Just unscrew the barrel and replace refill with one that you like it! I suggest cleaning the barrel once In a while with a soft semi-wet cloth.

6. Cost & Value (9.5/10)

The price range is from £9.00 standard version to £15.00 premium version, witch make them cheap for value. I believe that value is set by individual preferences, for me is the best ballpoint pen.

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/3803/p1110802res.th.jpg

7. Conclusion (9.5/10)

Classic design, all brass metal, hard to break, huge range of refills, good grip on brushed barrel, click top action means easy to operate with only one hand, strong clip for pockets, good weight and balance. Also the premium version look so good, but this is the only difference with standard version.

More pluses for IM series: you can mix and match with fountain pens, roller balls, pencils and even 5-th technology.

Another ballpoint that got my attention was Parker Dimonite (impressive grip), close enough to all my request for a BP pen, only minus was the clip start moving aside after a while…

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/3159/p1110795res.th.jpg

For a wide selection of alternative Parker-style refills :

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/PenFinder.php#g2

FEEL FREE TO ADD NEW INFORMATION REGARDING REFILLS OR WHATEVER IS RELEVANT WITH THIS TOPIC. ALL THIS REVIEW IS MY PERSONAL OPINION.

NICOLAE

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usk15

• OcalaFlGuy

• jacksterp

• lumberjak

Good looking pens. Thanks for the review.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Thank you!

I would like to be more interactive regarding experience with refills or other's pictures.

• 9 months later...

Your pics did not come across as anywhere near your original sizing on them.

WAY too small.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I do like the IM style. I just wish the nib wasn't so skinny and elongated. It would be perfect if it had a fatter Parker nib such as found on the Sonnet or Frontier.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

I have one IM ballpoint and it's nicer to grip than the Jotter. There are already fake IM fountain pen in the market so beware if you are buying the fountain pen version.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a necro revival this.

I'm just waiting on one of these in the ballpoint so just found your review via another topic. Better than the amazon ones because of the real pictures.

I could not tell if the pens are all alu or are the colored ones plastic?

I'm also glad after seeing your pictures that I went for a 'premium' one. They look a lot better in real light too. I was a bit worried the chrome would look too shiny, but it looks pretty nice on the table, but after seeing the gen 1? Next to the fountain pen the gen 2 looks less desirable.

I expect I'll change my mind again when I get it in my hand.

Are these the IM? :) discovered one hiding in my pencup amongst the Jotters

its a blue body clickball... it's pretty hefty so its likely blue plasticky coating over metal tube. Blue has survived ok after many years in pencup, no missing paint.

Anybody found a datecode on these?

The blue one is NICE.

Too bad they don't have a matching FP...or do they.

I ordered a 'royal blue' IM fountain pen, and I got a purple pen. I guess for some, royal blue is purple.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Pictures update:

15064409072_5844449c4e_c.jpg

11006105776_63954fa979_c.jpg

16715183755_2c5d9ba4f3_c.jpg

16715230585_1228fe182f_c.jpg

So, I give up with the FP and RB and two of the BP I gift them to my colleagues. In my current rotation is the silver one with Schmidt 9000 EasyFlow blue ink. In the blue pen I have a red Quink refill.

The nib unit of the fountain pen is host by the Pilot MR!

14313475644_67fdc13aae_c.jpg

Also can fit into Pilot 78G

14127561037_43fb230f3e_c.jpg

I have one IM ballpoint and it's nicer to grip than the Jotter.

That's the reason I like IM over Jotter!

The blue one is NICE.

Too bad they don't have a matching FP...or do they.

I ordered a 'royal blue' IM fountain pen, and I got a purple pen. I guess for some, royal blue is purple.

Indeed, the blue is more to purple side. But there's a blue-black premium version:

http://beste.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/PKR-IM-Prem-Blue-Black-BP-WEB.jpg