Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 Or Visconti Homo Sapiens

jujo

Hello, it's time to buy my first expensive fountain pen but I can not decide wich to get:

Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 LeGrand or Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze.

You will help me a lot if you recommend me someone.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• humsin

• jujo

• Misfit

• keymanhattan

Homo Sapiens Bronze for me, I believe the 146 will always be there, not so sure with the Visconti HS.

And between the two.. well let's just say the toss up for me would be 149 (new) vs Visconti HS

Homo Sapiens Bronze for me, I believe the 146 will always be there, not so sure with the Visconti HS.

And between the two.. well let's just say the toss up for me would be 149 (new) vs Visconti HS

I also thought to get 149 but i have small hands and the grip section on 149 is very big so I think it will be uncomfortably for me.

I've held, though not written with, the Homo Sapiens and found it to be quiet heavy for me.

Have you held and written with both/either?

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I've held, though not written with, the Homo Sapiens and found it to be quiet heavy for me.

Have you held and written with both/either?

I haven't held them, if I had the opportunity to try them, then I easily can decide which one to take.

Edited by jujo

I have both pens, and like them both. To my way of thinking the 146 is the perfect size Montblanc, and has all the things I like in a pen: piston filler, superb nib, right paper to section distance, right overall size when posted. The HS is almost indestructible, heavier, also has a superb nib, has my preferred hourglass shaped section, but is top heavy when posted. If I had to have only one of the two, I'd probably come down on the side of the 146. But it is close, and if you don't post, the HS may be a better choice. Check out the Brahms Donation pen from MB - also an interesting choice.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

If you are going to ever buy MB limited writers editions, they are mostly 146s and you'll regret having purchased the plain old 146...

I had the opportunity to try out the 146, and I have bought a HS.

It really depends on what you want for a nib. The HS's nib (I have the EF but also tried M and B) is very nicely flexible, and the pen is very well balanced.

For me, the 146 has a better filling system, as I am not a big fan of plungers. There is also no ink window on the HS, which is not the biggest deal if you get a travelling ink well or if you always have a bottle at hand.

The HS's section is far more comfortable, and the absence of threads where one usually puts a finger is a big plus. The closing system is original, and the pen will never open in your pocket.

The clip is articulated on the HS, and the body material is virtually unbreakable, and will never get a scratch, while the Montblanc precious PMMA is more prone to marking.

All in all, both pens are very nice, but my preference goes to the Visconti, because of the nib, and the durability of the material. It has a less nice appearance in my opinion (I'm not particularily fond of the two rings on the cap), but the nib will make you forget about this.

The 149's nib is better than the Visconti's, but we are not in the same price range.

Also, last but not least, I had the best experience with Visconti's after sales service (on another pen, but still), while my experience with Montblanc's has been disappointing.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I recommend that you not buy either until you can try them. Especially with pens this expensive, you should be sure before you buy. The nibs are very different. And these are larger pens for those of us with smaller hands.

I had the opportunity to try out the 146, and I have bought a HS.

It really depends on what you want for a nib. The HS's nib (I have the EF but also tried M and B) is very nicely flexible, and the pen is very well balanced.

For me, the 146 has a better filling system, as I am not a big fan of plungers. There is also no ink window on the HS, which is not the biggest deal if you get a travelling ink well or if you always have a bottle at hand.

The HS's section is far more comfortable, and the absence of threads where one usually puts a finger is a big plus. The closing system is original, and the pen will never open in your pocket.

The clip is articulated on the HS, and the body material is virtually unbreakable, and will never get a scratch, while the Montblanc precious PMMA is more prone to marking.

All in all, both pens are very nice, but my preference goes to the Visconti, because of the nib, and the durability of the material. It has a less nice appearance in my opinion (I'm not particularily fond of the two rings on the cap), but the nib will make you forget about this.

The 149's nib is better than the Visconti's, but we are not in the same price range.

Also, last but not least, I had the best experience with Visconti's after sales service (on another pen, but still), while my experience with Montblanc's has been disappointing.

+1. I have the Bronze HS, the 146, and the 149. The springiness of the palladium Dreamtouch nib on the HS feels better and more expressive to me. YMMV.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

The HS's nib (I have the EF but also tried M and B) is very nicely flexible

I agree 100% on all counts -- except that I would call the nib springy, not flexible.

My vote is for the HS -- great writing experience and a tactile treat.

Homo Sapiens is similar in size as the 149 but less girthy. The nib is smaller but not as responsive. HS is a heavier pen and the material is interesting. I would say the 149 feels more refined and special though.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

If you're buying brand-new, get the 146. It's a more conventional pen, with very good 2-year warranty, hand-finished nib, and very good out-of-warranty service in Europe and USA, at least. The HS is a more unique pen, and you either love it or hate it.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Owning both, I have to say that in time the HS became my daily favourite while the 149, which I love - don't get me wrong - leaves home much more seldom.

Why? I prefer the soft sensation the HS' nib gives my hand, and I find the pen more personal and peculiar. I'll quote the posts above about the springiness (rather than flexibility).

So I'd choose the HS over the 149 but that'd be a very close call; as I said, I am very fond of my 149 as well.

@akustyk: about the warranty, after 2 years with MB you have to pay a minimum of 70ish euros whichever piece you need to replace (making sometimes unconvenient to repair a pen). As far as I know, Visconti only charges for shipment expenses (in case of overseas shipment), no matter what kind of repair do you need and whether the 2 years are expired or not. I have used their assistance quite a few times, I've never been charged anything, not even when it came to older pens.

Edited by Raskolnikov

@akustyk: about the warranty, after 2 years with MB you have to pay a minimum of 70ish euros whichever piece you need to replace (making sometimes unconvenient to repair a pen). As far as I know, Visconti only charges for shipment expenses (in case of overseas shipment), no matter what kind of repair do you need and whether the 2 years are expired or not. I have used their assistance quite a few times, I've never been charged anything, not even when it came to older pens.

Yes, you're right about that. I also have both pens, and have dealt with warranty service with both. In my experience, for an absolute beginner, the Montblanc service is easier, esp. if you can go to a boutique. But even by mail, they call you, send you an estimate, make the whole process appear easier.

For an experienced user, it's no problem to send the pen to a Visconti representative and they have them send it to Italy for repair, if it's something more serious than a nib replacement.

I have two Visconti pens with the palladium nib, a HS with a medium, and Opera Elements with an extra-fine. Those are wonderful, expressive nibs. However, in my experience, the 146 is just a simpler pen to use. That's a very personal opinion, of course. That's why I recommended he buy the 146.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I own both and they're great pens. As someone said above, 146 will be availabe for many years (probably), but HS bronze is available since 2010 and Visconti usually discontinue their models, even the regular line. HS is a unique pen, heavier than 146, wetter (almost a gusher, 9/10 in my wet scale) and has a softer nib compared to the modern 146.

Visconti every time for me.

Bear in mind that if you wanted the HS Steel version you can choose a smaller sized pen, the bronze only comes as the over sized version I understand.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Without question the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze!

It has a fabulous nib and out sells the Mont Blanc in our Shop.

If you live close to Melbourne pop in and try one out. We are happy to help out with prices also :)

Kind Regards, Pen City

215 Elizabeth St

Melbourne VIC 3000

www.pencity.com.au

info@pencity.com.au

Pen City The Pen Professionals

215 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3000, 03 9670 6775

info@pencity.com.au, www.pencity.com.au

Montblanc has a better nib; the tipping is grinded very well and provides nice feedback. The Homo Sapiens nib isn't very responsive.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.