Parker Frontier Review

PolarMoonman

Pen: Frontier

Make: Parker

Cost: $17

Nib: Medium

Packaging & Accessories: (6/10)

The pen came in a black plastic clam-shell case with a blue ink cartridge. Pretty standard nothing too fancy. The box looks nice and has the Parker logo on it.

Appearance & Design (10/10)

I love how this pen looks. I originally was going to spray paint the burgundy barrel a matte black, but once I got it in the mail I really liked the finish so I'm not going to spray paint it. The real draw for me with this pen was the black nib. I loved how it looks, it looks very cool.

Construction & Quality (7/10)

I am not a huge fan of plastic bodies with metal caps, it just seems kind of dumb. I wish that the pen barrel was metal as well.... But the redeeming design feature of this pen is the rubber grip which is wonderful! It's much better than the steel smooth grip on my IM. It makes writing with this pen comfortable and easy.

Weight & Dimensions: (9/10)

This pen is nice and light. But without the cap posted I find it is not as nicely balanced. Its grip section is nice and long well which is another advantage of this model. All in all I'm very happy with the pen in this category.

Nib & Performance: (10/10)

This nib is nice.... It writes like butter with a wet ink like Parker and writes smoothly with just a hint of feedback with a drier ink like Sheaffer. The nib is black as I stated before and looks awesome. The pen performs incredibly for the price. It is by far better than my IM and Esprit though they boy cost me almost twice as much.

Filling System & Maintenance: (10/10)

The pen takes mini and regular cartridges and a converter can be used as well.

Cost & Value: (10/10)

This pen is a phenomenal value. If you are going to buy an inexpensive Parker buy this one. Don't buy a Vector, buy a Frontier, the cost is nearly the same. But the pens are worlds apart quality-wise. Get this pen, great value.

Conclusion: (62/70 - 88%)

I am very happy with this pen. I really can't find any real flaws with the pen. Sop I'll just say that this is a wonderful little pen and I wish I had bought one much sooner.

post-96825-0-55259500-1362098324.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry T

• Sherwood Forester

• 2GreyCats

• PolarMoonman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a Frontier for Christmas, all SS (so does that make it a "Flighter"?), and I absolutely love it. Beats the Vector all hollow, IMHO.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I have the flighter version, as well as a deep maroon plastic Frontier with the chrome cap. The flighter has a fine nib, the other is a medium, both are excellent writers. Nice review!

Larry

My Frontier has a translucent green plastic barrel and a chrome or steel cap, the latter being stamped "Made in USA. IP" which I guess dates it as a 1997 (3rd quarter) model.

Despite being a low-cost pen (although I cannot remember it's exact price) it has performed faultlessly and has always started when required. It writes smoothly every time. I had always used Parker cartridges until very recently when another FPN member kindly donated his spare converter, which gave the pen more flexibility to use different colours. It writes just as efficiently with the converter.

The pen has provided me with much delightful writing experience and I hope it continues to do so for many years to come.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

I inked up my Frontier (flighter model, medium nib) with Sheaffer Skrip Black last night.

Great pen.