Sailor 1911 Profit Hakone Yosegi Zaiku

nicholasyeo

Hello again! My name is Nicholas and this is my seventh review on FPN. You may have read my reviews of the Sailor Professional Gear here, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 here, Namiki Origami Crane here, Sailor Chizusugi Cedar Wood Sapporo here, and most recently, the Omas 360 Vintage Turquoise LE here and the Pelikan Souveran M800 Tortoiseshell Brown here. If you'd like to know more about my pens and collection you can find out more about me here at my profile. This review contains some high-resolutions photographs which you can view below the post.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/0-1.jpg

INTRODUCTION: I know I’m not the first to get my hands on this pen, as I have only recently been so free as to pick up pens and review them in great detail, but I hope I can offer a different perspective and be as comprehensive as possible. I also focus on photography and I do hope you enjoy reading!

Anyway, before we begin the review of the pen and I start to lavish praise on how it is oh-so-lovely, I thought that many would be interested in the history of the traditional Japanese Yosegi technique and therefore I have put together a short summary just below.

Yosegi-Zaiku is a type of traditional Japanese parquetry or wood mosaic used for decorative effect. You can read up more about it on Wikipedia, and you’ll realise that it is very similar to the geometrical veneer patterns found on furniture and flooring. Another great source of information is Engeika's website here.

Or you could read my summarised version below:

The Japanese Yosegi-Zaiku originated in the Edo (Tokugawa Shogunate) period from 1603 to 1868, which saw a golden age in Japanese culture and artistry. This marquetry technique was created in the late Edo Period by a master craftsman, Nihei Ishikawa. The 200-year-old art of mosaic woodwork is created from a variety of natural fine grained and textured wood. It was recognised by the Japanese Trade and Culture Ministry as a traditional Japanese art work in 1984.

Japanese Yosegi-Zaiku is found in Hakone, where it first originated. Hakone is a town in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. The mountains of Hakone are well known for numerous varieties of trees, most fall in protected natural reserves. Some species of trees used for Yosegi woodwork include the spindle tree (white), katsura tree (black), mulberry and Chinese lacquer tree (yellow), camphor and maackia (brown). Rods of timbre are glued together to form geometrical patterns. Yosegi veneers are commonly found on Japanese puzzle boxes like the ones found here, here and here. They are also used to decorate trays, chests and photo frames.

Now with that out of the way - we press onward: The Sailor 1911 Hakone Yosegi-Zaiku is one of the pens in the Sailor Wood Collection and is styled as a 1911 or Profit. This means that it comes with torpedo shaped ends. It was announced sometime in the middle of 2012. The intricate parquetry was what first attracted my eye, the mosaic design is not common and I have never seen a pen in this refreshing finish before. Better still, it was made of a natural material.

The pen comes in a brown velvet box enclosed in a golden cardboard sheath. Inside, there are cartridges, an instruction manual, converter, the pen, as well as a small storage box that holds five Sailor cartridges. The box is also finished with Yosegi Zaiku, and looks absolutely brilliant.

Anyway, here’s my background - I've long been an advocate of Japanese pens. I am a serious Sailor fan - I started out with my first pen, a Lamy Vista, many years ago. Eventually I progressed to the Lamy 2000 and a Sailor Professional Gear which I still write with daily today. Recently, I got hooked on Omas pens and I got an Arte Italiana and 360.

1. Appearance & Design (10/10) – I thought I saw everything I could see. I thought I knew everything I could know about wood pens. But I was in for a surprise when I came across the Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku. I was mesmerised by the intricate mosaic that came in varying shades of wood, and how it was all put together by hand.

There is something dazzling about the design - it is traditional and elegant at the same time, elegant yet edgy, and simply like no other I have ever seen. I think it could be described as puzzling, whether literally or metaphorically speaking.

The pen body and cap is comprised of four kinds of wood, from a really deep dark brown to light brown, yellow and white. I was fascinated by the level of expertise required to craft this pen. It is sophisticated in appearance but also clean looking at the same time.

It’s matte finish doesn’t scream for attention but is sure to be eye catching especially among fountain pen enthusiasts. The pen is treated with a surface coating, and in this aspect it differs from the more raw feeling Precious Wood of the World range of pens.

The little cartridge box included in the package is quite novel. I’m unlikely to use it anytime soon and likely keep it as part of my collection. It is a nice touch by Sailor, and can hold five cartridges. It is not surprising, given that puzzle boxes are one of the more widely known Yosegi-Zaiku products available for sale.

The clip and accents are plated like traditional Sailor pens, and I forgive the 24 karat gold plating because it blends perfectly with the wood. The nib is also 14 karat gold, and that tells me one thing - the pen is the smaller version of the 1911. The 1911L is a larger version that is longer and comes with the 21 karat gold nib.

The Sailor 1911 Yosegi-Zaiku is the epitome of Japanese ingenuity and craftsmanship. As another reviewer aptly pointed out, it is “One Pen, to rule all other Wooden Pens”. I agree wholeheartedly and I dare say that this pen has already booked its place in the history books - because there is simply nothing like it!

2. Construction & Quality (10/10) – Often, we see the dazzling Yosegi-Zaiku mosaic being used on puzzle boxes, flat surfaces and (according to my observations) generally rectangular objects. In the case of the Sailor 1911, the mosaic had to be shaped with rounded edges and I am certain that would take much more effort than simply decorating a square object as commonly done. (Of course this also means a substantial price difference for us!)

The barrel of the pen is like any other Sailor pen, made of resin/plastic. There is definitely a necessity to place a more stable material apart from wood mosaic, because in the case of a pen, the mosaic would be really really thin and fragile! It still eludes me how the four types of wood were shaped into the 1911.

Apparently, the normal process of Yosegi-Zaiku would be to cut different coloured timbers into rods for the desired sections, after which they are glued together to form geometrical patterns and sliced into thin plates. However, this Sailor pen is rounded, therefore it still evades me how they were able to apply it to the resin 1911 base structure below. I suspect that they could have started out with a block containing identical sized bits of the four woods and rounded it to shape instead.

Running my fingers along the barrel, I could not detect any joints along the intricate inlays, and the mosaic was joined flawlessly. If you try hard enough, the fine wooden texture may become perceptible. On very close examination one would observe that the wood has a beautiful natural grain and texture to it. The torpedo edges of the 1911 were also nearly identical to any resin version in terms of shape, and every single part of the pen is wooden.

Wooden pens really require lots of skill to manufacture and therefore I have more respect for them than other resin, plastic or metal pens. One of the most interesting touches I have seen thus far is the Graf von Faber Castell Intuition Platino in Pernambuco and Grenadilla, which have a gentle concave grip area. It is a nice touch to the otherwise seamless and finely fluted barrel.

Lastly, wood is nature’s gift to mankind. Wood is a tough material, reliable and resistant. It will definitely last many many years because it is very well treated by the craftsman and I think it is great that many of these are sourced sustainably in Japan. There is, of course, an element of mystique surrounding natural materials like wood, some of which are centuries old.

3. Weight & Dimensions (8/10) – As noted in existing reviews on FPN, the current range of Sailor pens are all pretty small - my Chizusugi is barely large enough for my hand and the new Precious Wood of the World series is no different. I am just able to write with them and prefer posting the cap. Thankfully, the Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku is a longer pen, a welcome change.

The pen is wooden and thus fairly light. It is not as light weight as the Chizusugi in my earlier review. However, posting the cap is sure to make it rather imbalanced and top heavy. I therefore do not recommend posting the cap. I also fear that posting the cap would damage the wood so I guess I’d use it as it is. The pen is slightly smaller than a 1911L and larger than a 1911M, so it is a really comfortable size and definitely more friendly for long term writing than the Chizusugi could be.

Here are some technical specifications for people who are interested:

Weight : 18.4 grammes

Length without cap: 11.7 cm

Length with cap closed : 13.5 cm

Length with cap posted : 17.5 cm

Diameter : 1.75 mm

4. Nib & Performance (8/10) – The Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku fountain pen comes with a gold plated 14 carat solid gold nib that matches the trims. The nib writes like any other Sailor nib, fine and generally smooth with a slight bit of feedback. The tines were well aligned and I need not explain any further how much I love Sailor nibs. Haters gonna hate!

The nib is fairly small considering it is the 14K version and not the 21K version seen on the larger 1911L. Nevertheless, that has almost no impact on performance of the pen and the pen writes like any other Sailor - reliable, smooth and consistent.

Buying this pen, I think one has to be clear that the focus is on the finish of the pen body rather than the nib. I don’t think Sailor should fix things that don’t need fixing, but they should provide more unique nib choices on their lower end pens. So far, I have not seen a Naginata Togi nib or other specialty nibs on pens like the 1911 Profit and Professional Gear. I hope to see them in the near future, especially on the Realo body.

I personally intend to add the Yosegi-Zaiku to my collection because of its sheer beauty. Nevertheless, the Sailor nib is arguably among the best if not the best available in the fountain pen market today. My nib is in M size and it lays down a fairly fine line similar to a Western/European F. It is smooth and I am certain it will get smoother with use.

5. Filling System & Maintenance (8/10) - Having used Sailor pens for years, I think it is fair to now comment on their reliability and the often criticised cartridge converter filling system. I am not a cartridge user but I find them reliable for use when writing for long periods or during exams. They serve their purpose.

I use Sailor converters and thus far I think they are among the best in the world. My Pilot CON-70 converter has threads that strip easily. The CON-50 is too small in capacity. The CON-20 is not see-through. So the Sailor converter solves all my problems. It is simple and reliable, I often open it up by unscrewing the piston to add lubricant or to clean the residue from carbon inks.

Surprisingly, Sailor C/C pens have become one of the most easy filling systems for me to deal with, despite the fact that I have a fair amount of piston fillers around. I must therefore say that I do respect the choice of Sailor to build a C/C system into many of their pens because they have generally provided a reliable system.

Finally, the nib of the Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku is just like any other Sailor, friction fit. Therefore, it is fairly easy to pull out and clean especially for those who use carbon inks often and are afraid of the ink drying and clogging the pen. It is always good to give a nib section a good cleaning after prolonged use, ensuring many more years of reliable performance!

6. Cost & Value (8/10) – The Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku fountain pen is unique in terms of the mosaic finish. However, I would not recommend it for those who are rather careless and have inky fingers. Wooden pens can get stained, unless you don’t mind.

The bottom line with pens like these is that you are starting to pay for the craftsmanship and design rather than the writing experience, because any entry level Sapporo would write the same way. Thus, I would say that the pen is great for people who appreciate artistic work, puzzles, or wooden pens. I happen to like stuff like these, so this pen checks off the boxes for me.

The pen doesn’t scream for attention but it definitely looks intriguing. It is not labelled as a limited edition or come in very limited numbers, though it definitely looks fascinating and if discontinued, would probably be in greater demand. The packaging is also classy and understated, though I would have wished for one of those wooden boxes. Yosegi-Zaiku, no?

7.Conclusion (Final score, 8.66666666667/10) - The Sailor Yosegi-Zaiku is a keeper. I am now slowly moving my collection towards wooden pens and I am glad to have come across one of these. I think these aren’t cheap, but considering the level of technical expertise and attention this pen demands to construct, I believe the cost is generally justified.

I’m also not too sure whether or not this is a limited-time production. Should Sailor not produce more pens like these with the artisans in Hakone anytime in the future, I believe that the pen would be even more special because this woodworking technique has never been applied to a fountain pen, at least not in my memory or knowledge.

I really really love wooden pens. I have been trying to bid for a few wooden pens online since I am not able to get them locally - I guess that’s a forlorn hope. I’ve now given up, with much consternation. My infatuation with wood started after I realised that many of my pens were very industrial and lacked a certain character.

I’m happy that my collecting has taken this turn. You may have read in my Chizusugi review that I have wanted a Platinum Yakusugi and Pilot Custom Iichi. I needed to get my fix and get it fast, so in comes the Sailor Profit Hakone Yosegi-Zaiku. Problem solved!

In conclusion, if you’re looking for something unique for your collection, something wooden and tactile, something that you could enjoy to look at and feel, I highly recommend the Sailor 1911 Hakone Yosegi-Zaiku fountain pen.

Till my next review, here are some pictures! Enjoy...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/1-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/2-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/3-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/4-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/5-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/6-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/7-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/8-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/9-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/10-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/11-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/12-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/13-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/14-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/15-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/16-1.jpghttp://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/17-1.jpg

Edited by nicholasyeo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• TassoBarbasso

• Bigeddie

• sargetalon

Another fantastic review, but what a horrible pen. I just can't imagine what they were thinking about at Sailor when they turned out this pen. Sailor's sterling silver fountain pen is one of the most beautiful of non-decorated pens. How could this come from the same manufacturer?

I actually love the look of this pen. I have no idea what it cost but something like that surely looks out of my price range. Very nice. Congrats and enjoy.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I wish one day to be able to craft such a fine pen review (both words & photos).

Looks like a beautifully constructed pen. Congratulations.

Do you know if the pen body is made of wood veneer glued on top of resin (in a way raden is applied to pens) or it is turned from a solid blank made up of a glued wood composite?

Maybe looking into the barrel or cap will give a clue.

I've seen this pen in my book: "Fountain Pens Of Japan".

Just curious.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thank you everyone for your kindness and comments. This pen is indeed provocative in its design. I, for one, am a fan of simple, clean designs usually but I thought this pen would be interesting because the mosaic is never before seen and very delicately applied. It's almost as if Sailor is saying "Look what we can do, beat this!" Looking inside I see plastic all around, all the way up to the top of the cap.

The veneer is applied with such precision that if they were really added piece by piece I feel absolutely no joints in between tiles. It is the curvature of the barrel and pen body that is most bewildering - the uniformity of tiles makes it appear glued on but how can the individual tiles be bent into the shape of the 1911? I was under the impression that gluing the wood pieces together in a wooden block and grinding it into a rounded shape could produce a similar effect, but wouldn't that destabilise the finish? This may prove to be one of the great secrets of their artform. They are so intricately laid out that they conceal all trace of production.

If anyone is interested, this pen doesn't have any smell or fragrance to speak of, unlike the typical wooden pens from Sailor.

Edited by nicholasyeo

What an informative review!!

You always did review as if you were Japanese. :)

Thanks for the sharing this.

Thank you very much... You are too kind. :thumbup:

To be fair, I think the internet was a great help!

Edited by nicholasyeo

Sailor is known for using a variety of materials for their pens. I think this model is following that corporate tradition (or marketing approach), which is good.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thank you for your detailed review. By the way, i am anxious to have the storage box.

rokurinpapa

Edited by rokurinpapa

Thank you for your detailed review. By the way, i am anxious to have the storage box.

rokurinpapa

Haha, you want just the cartridge box? I doubt they come with the pen. I would love to get some of these products though. Someone showed me his Yosegi box today and it was beautiful. Quite fascinating how you guys make this stuff.

You have managed to capture and actually convey the beauty of the pen very effectively. This is a very beautiful pen that I had been ignoring for long. Thanks much! You pictures are much better than even the Sailor pictures. Congratulations!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

You have managed to capture and actually convey the beauty of the pen very effectively. This is a very beautiful pen that I had been ignoring for long. Thanks much! You pictures are much better than even the Sailor pictures. Congratulations!

Thank you for your kind words! I had also been ignoring the Yosegi-zaiku simply thinking it was out of my reach. Turns out I had a chance at getting one... So it sat in the display for ages. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but undeniably a unique piece.

Dear Mod, if you ever see this, do not hesitate to correct the grammar - "high-resolutionS photographs" because it really makes me distressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fantastic review, but what a horrible pen. I just can't imagine what they were thinking about at Sailor when they turned out this pen. Sailor's sterling silver fountain pen is one of the most beautiful of non-decorated pens. How could this come from the same manufacturer?

From the review and history lesson it sounds like they maybe were thinking about history.. mosaic woodwork.. So it's different than non-decorated pens.. different creative traditions of history.. not every artistic/creative trend or movement in history appeals to everyone. Sounds like the mosaic thing eludes you. No problem. Enjoy what you like.. simplicity is great! I happen to love elegant simplicity and also things that are a little more "busy" .. I marvel at the design savvy to pull something like this mosaic pen off without it falling apart. :) There are probably some real interesting manufacturing secrets behind this pen. To me it would be interesting to know quite how they do it.

- pin

Edited by pinbs JP

I know this pen isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I find it strangely appealing. It reminds me of a beautiful, freshly mopped parquet floor.

From the review and history lesson it sounds like they maybe were thinking about history.. mosaic woodwork.. So it's different than non-decorated pens.. different creative traditions of history.. not every artistic/creative trend or movement in history appeals to everyone. Sounds like the mosaic thing eludes you. No problem. Enjoy what you like.. simplicity is great! I happen to love elegant simplicity and also things that are a little more "busy" .. I marvel at the design savvy to pull something like this mosaic pen off without it falling apart. :) There are probably some real interesting manufacturing secrets behind this pen. To me it would be interesting to know quite how they do it.

- pin

I'm 20 ... and this is a young man's pen. It is no dress pen, seems too busy to be one. But it sure turns heads!! :roflmho: