The Dumbest Most Idiotic Thing You Have Ever Done With A Fp

PolarMoonman

Mine would be putting a vanilla scented oil in my fountain pen.... It took forever to unclog..... :gaah:

What have others done?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Scrawler

• PolarMoonman

• Dimitry V.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least what you did was repairable. Try removing the nib unit of a 252 without the nib tool devised by fountainbel. I had a very expensive dart at the end of that escapade.

I've taken a pair of pliers to several Esties, put some nice scratches in them with the jaws then practiced heat lifting the marks out. Someday's you're he hero, someday's you're holding a road flare. :rolleyes: It's a high risk repair, you're going to loose patients so you might as well use caps and barrels that are for one reason or another otherwise unusable.

It's pretty freaky though when it works.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I put iron gall ink in a metal pen even though I knew it shouldn't go in a metal pen. I figured it was going into the converter, not the barrel. Didn't think what it would do to the cap... Thank goodness F-C fixed my pen for me.

Recently - Probably trying to pull the feed from my Safari.

I've done LOTS of stupid things, but this one is around for a photo op.

fpn_1361594601__lamy_broken_feed.jpg

I HAD pulled the feed, hacked it a bit, still wasn't JUUUUST right though, and instead of coming out the second time, the feed broke. Ugh...

Driving down the highway trying to uncap a Pelikan 140 with one hand to jot a note (pretty dumb on the face of it, writing while driving) and not realizing I was turning the blind cap as well as the cap; imagine my surprise!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I once had a VERY VERY VERY cheap fountain pen (it was from Daiso... and was $1.50)

it was meant to be disposable but I kept putting ink in it anyway and reused it over and over again.

It wrote really crappily but still looked better than pencil or any other pens.

I didn't realize what I was doing wrong...

...I HAD BEEN PUTTING PIGMENTED INK IN IT

so later on it got completely clogged

and then I lost it haha.

Carpentry work and a Lamy safari. At first it was just little marks where to cut small boards which did a great job with PR Fiesta Red. Marking a cut line on plywood was to much.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

I put my Lamy 2000 in a water resistant backpack and as that pen has a snap-on cap which can be uncapped very easily without much resistance, the pen uncapped itself and bent its nib and released the ink in that bag.

Conclusions:

Bag -> I was able to clean it somewhat. It was difficult as that bag was made for water sport and water will stay in there. So, I pour some water in that area and dump it out and I did that repeatedly for some time. There is still some stain. But, the good thing was the Lamy was inked with WM Florida Blue. If it was with any of Noodler's, I would have much messier disaster in my hand.

Pen -> Nagahara-san at a Sailor Pen clinic was able to fix the bent nib like a child play. :) I asked him to make Lamy's F nib much finer at the same time. So, my bent Lamy nib came back to life as a true F nib.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Selling a special pen.

I have done that one! I will never forgive myself for selling the Montblanc Marcel Proust that I found in a little pen shop in San Francisco

i rammed the tip of a white pelikan M100 (black nib) into the surface of my desk. that means, yes, i deliberately attempted to destroy a fountain pen. you may account as mitigating circumstances, that this pen refused to write. it was the nastiest pen i ever had in my hands. the nib was scratchy and too soft for my writing, the whole pen too small and light, and its ink flow ... lets say, it was accidental? random?

i was writing a letter, and this (bleeeeeeeeep) pen would refuse to write the loveliest words i was about to throw in. i was deeply frustrated.

of course i should not have destroyed this pen. in cold blood, i should have sinked it!

or burnt. or whatever would lead to eternal damnation of that infamous -- something.

well, maybe this was not so stupid, after all. i could never have sold such an incompetent attempt in a writing instument, even less given away. so, it was probably better to give it an end.

ok, scratch that.

the most stupid thing i ever did with an FP was ... buying that besaid pelikan. it was wasting 48,- DM of my scarce student pocket money. i could have had delicious tea instead! or a book! 4 to 5 times cinema!

(you bet, i am still furious, although this episode is almost 30 years ago ...)

Edited by sebastel23

Mine would be putting a vanilla scented oil in my fountain pen.... It took forever to unclog..... :gaah:

What have others done?

Just out of curiousity, why would you do that?