Delta Gallery Doue Rollerball

Braindrain

I was looking around for a "different but classy" pen a while ago. While reading through my WatchTime magazine, I noticed this pen through their fountain pen column (back when they still had one). The writer was talking about his first impressions of the Delta Gallery, and specifically, the Doue.

I tried to see if I could source it locally (within Canada and US) but was told it was a Euro-only pen. I was finally able to source it via a retailer on this forum for a VERY reasonable price (shout out to Frank at fontoplumo!).

First impressions - The pen comes in a very nice (and large) box with thumb screws to remove before allowing access to the pen. It seems standard Delta issue for their higher end pens. When opened, Delta also provides an extra refill on the side. Frank was nice enough to include 1 more refill! The first impression of seeing the box and the pen is definitely first rate.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery7_zps6939c029.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery6_zps85616358.jpg

Appearance and Design - 10/10 - This pen "renders homage to Drip painting, a form of abstract art on which paint is dripped or poured onto the canvas. This painting style has been used since 1946 by various famous american artists who defined it as: 'expressive power through material outbreaks in a frenetic vortex of signs'. " I rather like the Doue since it encapsulates both ends with black. The metal trim is gold plated while the central ring (supposedly made of solid sterling) is particularly well made with some patterns deeply engraved into it.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery5_zps08bc2cc0.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery3_zpsebc61857.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery4_zpsa0000766.jpg

Construction and Quality 9/10 - This pen may not be for everyone. It's quite a "thick" pen but allows people with larger hands to get a good grip on it. However, when my wife first saw the pen, she didn't comment on the design but rather than how thick it was. Having said that, it only takes a couple of turns to unscrew the cap and it feels solid (for a resin pen). The clip is a great design and is one of the few pens I can clip onto my shirt pocket without playing with the clip to get it on.

One thing that irked me when I first got it was that there was some "looseness" with the rollerball refill (which takes a Parker refill, by the way). Meaning, when I used the pen, there was a micro-gap between the refill and the end of the pen so there was an ever-so-slight clicking sound. I took out the refill, turned the spring around, and it seems to have stopped. I've used it for well over two months now and can safely say that it no longer does that.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery2_zpsc139b515.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/gallery1_zpsf6f95a11.jpg

Weight and Dimensions - 9/10 - This is really hard as nobody seems to have the official dimensions on this guy. Looking around, it seems to be identical to the Dolce Vita so here are the specs from that: The overall size is 5 5/16 in. x 11/16 in. (135mm x 17mm). The body is 4 1/2 in. x 9/16 in. (115mm x 14mm) while the cap is 2 9/16 in. x 11/16 in. (65mm x 17mm). The overall weight is 35 g. While I don't post my pens, it seems fairly well balanced and not top-heavy if you do so.

Nib and Performance - n/a - Since it's not a FP, I can't comment on this.

Filling System and Maintenance - n/a - Again , not a FP.

Cost and Value - 9/10 - The list price on this is $325 USD. That's not a great deal for a rollerball, even one as nice as this. With that price, I'd put the cost/value ratio at around 7/10. However, Frank was able to get me a great deal on this, so the ratio increases to a very respectable 9/10!

Conclusion (Final Score - 5/6) - This is a really, really nice pen. My EA, who is the "gate keeper" to stuff I send to my office, sees many of the pens I buy. Her first reaction to this one was "Wow, nice pen!". (Her normal reaction is "another one?" :ltcapd: )This is not a stealth pen and it is one that exudes quality while being restrained. People will not know what it is as it isn't sold in North America. This has quickly become one of my favourite pens in my rotation.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Braindrain

• jandrese

• FrankvK

• jacksterp

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing writing instrument. Beautiful - unique, and I'm sure quite the conversation starter. Use it in good health.

Looks like the wax is still on the refill?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the wax is still on the refill as I took the pics as soon as I received the pen. I waited until now to post the review to see if the "micro-gap issue" with the refill and barrel would be resolved. And yes, it has.

Thanks for the nice review. I've recently added a couple of roller ball pens to my lineup. I like the Monteverde ceramic gel refills. They write smoothly, and the ink is black black black and is quite water resistant.

The review is very nice to read and some good pictures to.

Very glad to read you enjoy the pen as much as you do!

Frank

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl