Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Newbie Advice : From Rotring To Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GuerreFroide

GuerreFroide

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:09

Dear All..
I hope I post in the good topic part...

Actually, I'm using for a certain amount of time some ROTRING isograph, but they are full of dry ink very fast, even with care ( i use it to draw on a daily basis, but not for plans).
I was thinking about having another pen, but I got a ROTRING ARTPEN ( plastic new model). The seller told me it was the same ink than isograph, but in little plastic recharges.
Unfortunately, even if I like a lot the smooth artpen use, the black is not BLACK :)
Not isograph black..:)

So my real question is :
- Can i put isograph/rapidograph ink ( refill it into plastic thing) into an artpen ?
- there is a better ink more dark to put into the rotring art pen?

Or I need to dig into the forum to find the better tool ? :)

Thanks a lot and greetings.

#2 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 13:37

I don't think you should use Rapidograph/Isograph inks in a fountainpen.
These are Indian inks (German: Tusche) not designed to use in a fountain pen.
I also own a Artpen 1.1, it's a very decent nice writer.
I use it with a converter (mine is a Rotring converter, the international converters like from Pelikan work also but fit not very tight).
With a converter you can easily use any fountain pen ink in your Artpen.
You only have to choose from thousands of available colors. :-)

#3 jyaan

jyaan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:45

You really shouldn't use technical pen inks in the ArtPen... It will definitely clog. I don't know where that guy got his info, but the Rotring ArtPen cartridges simply aren't the same ink. It's a water-based fountain pen ink made with dyes. The color is a nice dark black, but the ink is not waterproof at all.

Platinum Carbon Black and Sailor Nano Black (Kiwaguro) are two pigmented inks that you _can_ use. That's about as close as you'll get to technical pen ink without certain disaster. Just be careful not to let the ink dry out! You'll need to use the pen frequently, clean it on a regular basis, and _never_ leave the pen filled for extended time periods without use. These inks are also on the expensive side, but it's the closest thing to india ink that can be used safely in fountain pens.

Noodler's Black is another option, and requires very little maintenance -- meaning you'll probably like this choice best. It's a "normal" fountain pen ink, but is also permanent and pretty waterproof. It dries slowly, but it is _very_ dark black. It might even be as dark as Rotring ink. Costs about the same as other fountain pen inks, too.

They'll all pretty good inks. I'd suggest trying to get some samples so you can see what you prefer.

Edited by jyaan, 25 February 2013 - 01:48.

#4 sebastel23

sebastel23

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:17

i can positively confirm, that the rotring black ink for isograph pens is NOT suitable for fountain pens. i tried it ... and i just got along without major catastrophe, except my mom's very clear words about the mess i produced in her bathroom (when i cleaned up my cp1 from that nasty black stuff).

but, in order to add some value to this thread: i recently discovered duke black ink cartridges. no idea whether they are available outside china.
also a very black black ink is hero 234. that's a carbon based ink, and it will clog, too - just not as badly as the isograph stuff. like with all inks containing pigments, you need to expect regular cleaning to be necessary. better use it only in pens that are easy to clean!

the difference to isograph (and other indian) inks is, that carbon inks for fountain pens do not contain a binding component (i.e., gummi arabicum). the binding component actually works as glue, and thus can destroy a fountain pen.

you may also want to read richard binder's article about different level maintenance inks.