New M800 & K800 Tortoise

daenghafez

Hi all..

I have just received these two gorgeous tortoise fountain pen and ball pen. This latest addition of the tortoise pens came in M800, K800 and R800 range.

The tortoise stripes are now simmering with pronounced orange colours. You can only see it clearly at the close up. IMHO, it was beautifully done.

The pen cap is adorned with the gold plated pelikan logo to mark the latest version of the Souveran series.

However to my surprise I notice that the tortoise piston filler is not using the brass mechanism anymore as it is now replaced by a black plastic mechanism.

There is no special edition box for this M800 / K800 tortoise unlike the M101N lizard but the usual 'coffin' box with the plastic pen wrap (with Pelikan medallion).

Anyhow, enjoy the photos together with its other siblings' group photo shots.

Regards

Daeng

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo1_zpsf7883851.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo3_zps0b50ea25.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo2_zpseb0451a3.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo4_zps1a53ecea.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo2_zpsd33b5387.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo1_zps489c7ed4.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo4_zpsdb45ba38.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo3_zps7bfbb5d0.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/photo5_zps3c046907.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daenghafez

• Nibwitz

• hari317

• enricof

Wonderful Daeng, thanks for sharing!

Do you see the flat slots on the plastic filler like the flat slots found on the brass ones? This is just to determine if the filler is press fit or screw in.

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Had I known of the plastic filler, I would NOT have booked mine :mellow:

Like Hari, I hope at least it is NOT a press fit.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Hi guys.. Fortunately there is a flat slot on the plastic filler. So I guess this mechanism can be removed by using the appropriate 'fork' unlike the press fit piston filler.

Seems that Pelikan is being 'cheap skate' by going low budget to this souveran range. I remember that Montblanc did introduce the plastic filler from brass filler to their 149 range and then they made a u-turn by re-introducing the brass filler to the current 149 pen.

Hi guys.. Fortunately there is a flat slot on the plastic filler. So I guess this mechanism can be removed by using the appropriate 'fork' unlike the press fit piston filler.

Seems that Pelikan is being 'cheap skate' by going low budget to this souveran range. I remember that Montblanc did introduce the plastic filler from brass filler to their 149 range and then they made a u-turn by re-introducing the brass filler to the current 149 pen.

Thanks for confirming that this looks indeed removable, Daeng. I am very familiar with Montblanc's so called plastic threads filler, it has brass in the correct area, it was a superb design combining strength and lightness. I hope the pelikan plastic filler also has brass in the appropriate area. maybe the more daring among us will reveal by a strip down in the coming days...In a way this might be a positive development, people have been demanding a less back heavy pen for a while, maybe Pelikan has responded to that.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Perhaps the website is not up-to-date with the 28,7 gr?

This picture posted above is clear enough to see that, at least the visible part of the brass components is gone, in favor of plastic...

That is a disappointment, paying a much higher price for a lesser pen...

Perhaps even a reason to return the thing when I get it...

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

I am just the opposite. I love the M800, but the weight of the brass piston makes it too uncomfortable for long writing sessions with my medium to small hands. It's not the pen's weight, but its balance, that doesn't work for me. Preferences are so personal.

I wonder if the OP can weigh the body of the pen?

I am just the opposite. I love the M800, but the weight of the brass piston makes it too uncomfortable for long writing sessions with my medium to small hands. It's not the pen's weight, but its balance, that doesn't work for me. Preferences are so personal.

I completely agree. If the new pen has a little less weight at the back, I'll be quite happy. Actually, I'll be fine with whatever the outcome. I've no reason to try to compare it with something from the past so as long as I can write with it, that will do me.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I can write with a M200 very well too. It's piston mechanism works very well, and very reliable. But when I pay M800 money, let alone M800-Tortoise money, I am 'not amused' when substantial simplifications are made to the design even 'ordinary' M800's have.

But, perhaps I am too early with my judgement.

Georges Braque

I don't think it's fair. A lot of people here say they prefer a less back heavy pen, although I believe them, of course there are also a lot people who are perfectly happy with it's current balance-- like me. It's just weird "if" they change it on an SE pen instead of starting first on the regular lines.

M800s becoming more like the 540, hahahaha

Is it possible that the filler sleeve is not black plastic, but rather blackened metal (brass or aluminum)?

Mark

Edited by MarkTrain

I just placed an order with Regina Martini for one plus she is going to get a matching ballpoint for it.

Regards

Jeff

Is it possible that the filler sleeve is not black plastic, but rather blackened metal (brass or aluminum)?

Mark

It is possible, Mark. Can be verified if someone can open up the mechanism filler and vouch same. From my view of the filler it seems to be a black plastic. Nonetheless I might be wrong. I'v never opened up the filler nor attempted to do so. :)

I'm sorry. I dont havethe correct weight scale to weigh the pen. But the weight seems to be similar like other M800 brass filler.

Aesthetic wise i prefer it to be a gold colour mechanism if it isnt the brass filler. It might have looked better then just plain black.

With the yellow, it makes me think of those Moore 92/94 striated pens. Different. Nice. Think i prefer the greens.

(Aside: i wonder how many more years until Pelikan does away with that ugly "new" button? Okay, i know some people do like it ... but for me, it just looks like "Whatever--who cares? It's a FA-HANCY pen!" and ruins what made the clip and crown look so totally perfect before. Now it just looks like an odd swab of gold dangling on the end of the cap.)

(Further aside: Hey, i wonder what temperature or, ummmm, solvents would be needed to get the button off? i KNOW they just stick 'um on with glue. i mean, it's right there in the promotional video. Maybe i could buy an old cap and hack myself a custom M800 tortoise?!)

Returning to the thread: It really is pretty nice--and congrats to those who've got one, or are getting one. :thumbup:

Edited by inBOIL

Plastic piston?

Say it ain't so...

Because brass is so expensive, I guess.

I'm glad I haven't ordered one...

...sprang into being, town and garden alike from my cup of tea. - M.Proust

If the weight, holding the pen in your hand, seems to be the weight of a M800 with brass piston mechanism, the only explanation is that the brass has been covered with black finish to mach the brown color(?).

If it would be plastics, the weight difference would be so substantial you would feel it even without weight scale.

Georges Braque

This comment received in an e-mail from Pelikan in response to my concern:

The Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell Brown is equipped with the well-known brass mechanism with an added cover in black chrome.

As I thought: a proper pen and I await its arrival with breathless anticipation.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"