#1 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05

I am finding it hard to get hold of Simichrome in the UK, without paying to have it shipped from the USA. Solvol Autosol is readily available here. Does anyone know if it does the same job as Simichrome? Both are described as metal polishes. Are they similar? And are either or both of them better/different than Weenol or Peek metal polishes? Any advice appreciated.
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#2 hilsedwards

hilsedwards

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 14:00

I am finding it hard to get hold of Simichrome in the UK, without paying to have it shipped from the USA. Solvol Autosol is readily available here. Does anyone know if it does the same job as Simichrome? Both are described as metal polishes. Are they similar? And are either or both of them better/different than Weenol or Peek metal polishes? Any advice appreciated.

Lorna check out UK ebay seller chillipea. Not cheap but has Simichrome @£10.99 plus postage

#3 lcoldfield

lcoldfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 14:31

Simichrome is an American metal polish - there is no reason to think that it is any better at the job than UK metal polishes. However, they do not all have the same size abrasive particles, for instance Silvo for silver and Brasso for brass are very different. Auto T-cut is good on a range of metals and also for the cellulose car paint finishes for which it was designed.

By the way, just in case you are thinking of polishing plastic pens, none of these are recommended for vintage plastics because they contain solvents which could cause long term damage. An ultrasonic tank will help to get rid of residues, but it is not certain how effective this is. For vintage plastics, always use a water based polish such as MicroGloss (an American product developed for polishing plastic aircraft canopies). This is available in the UK.
Laurence

#4 EdwardL

EdwardL

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:57

I've been experimenting with Polywatch polish ; sold for use on plastic watch glasses. It seams OK. It's available off ebay at around £5 a go.
Confused ?...You will be !

#5 brownargus

brownargus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:14

I've been using a product called MAAS Metal Polishing Creme which is available from Lakeland stores £8.99. It seems to be effective.
Favourite eight pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F, Caran d'Ache Leman Black/Silver F; Kaweco Dia 2 F; Parker 51 Aerometric, Parker Sonnet Black Laque F, Large Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium F; Waterman Carene Essential Gold 14Kt F

#6 rhosygell

rhosygell

Twpsyn llwyr !

• Member - Gold

• 1,923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:24

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Simichrome and Solvol are one and the same thing exactly but for a regional variation in trade name.
Iechyd da pob Cymro

#7 ShallowJam

ShallowJam

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:40

By the way, just in case you are thinking of polishing plastic pens, none of these are recommended for vintage plastics because they contain solvents which could cause long term damage.

I was under the impression that many people used simichrome on vintage plastics and just washed off the residues. Of course if you leave it on there bad things will happen, but is it really going to cause long term damage from a short exposure?

VINTAGE PENS FOR SALE! Various brands all restored and ready to go! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any questions.

#8 PhatMan

PhatMan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:45

Lorna,

+1 on the MAAS polish; I use it extensively on my straight razors scales (celluloid, acrylic etc.) and have found it to be excellent.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

#9 TMLee

TMLee

448 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,476 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:41

I am not sure what you intend to polish , whether metal or plastics.

This was my experience ....

http://www.fountainp...ost__p__1368650

HTH

#10 MikeForester

MikeForester

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:49

Simichrome is an American metal polish - there is no reason to think that it is any better at the job than UK metal polishes.

Hi, Laurence,

German, actually, made by a company called Happich. Apparently its first big success was with US bikers in the 60s, as a chrome polish for Harley Davidsons. http://www.happich.d...s_sub.php?id=27

-Mike

Edited by MikeForester, 05 February 2013 - 22:51.

#11 VeloVintage

VeloVintage

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:01

Hi Lorna, I had the same problem till I accidentally stumbled upon it on Amazon UK.

Shipping is pretty fast and FREE;)

#12 Paul80

Paul80

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:55

Hi

I am also in the UK and use the following three polishes with good results on all my Vintage pens

Simichrome from the eBay seller chillipea

Peek, make sure you shake the tube first though as its much more liquid the Simichrome which is a thick Paste 

Plastx Polish

I find all three work well but find the Plastx to give the highest shine.

Peek is available from most hardware stores and Plastx is available from most Halfords Auto Stores.

Not tried Solvol Autosol but suspect its on par with Simichrome.

Paul

#13 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:03

Simichrome is fantastic at restoring gold filled trim and does a much better job than Autosol which is too harsh for the sometimes delicate trim. Autosol is great on stuff like the metal parts of aerometric filler units as it is more abrasive than simichrome. I also use autosol for removing fine scratches from gold nibs, utilising its greater abrasiveness. In my view it is well worth getting simichrome - buy it from a US seller and get 2 or 3 tubes at once - works out cheaply - one tube goes a very long way.  If you're working on a great many pens I believe it advisable to have a supply of several metal and plastic polishes to give yourself the best chance of doing a good finishing job!  :happyberet:

So much time, too few fountain pens! Oh...wait.... :facepalm:

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?" - (Henry David Thoreau)

Posted Image

#14 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 1,688 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:33

There's different types of autosol. The one I have is called "Autosol Brilliant Chrome Aluminium and Metal Polish.They also do "Autosol M1 cleaning polish for chrome-plated plastic" which I presume is less aggressive. It's pretty great stuff - here's a before and after of an old Summit J bar.

th_SummitS125JBarRemoval010.jpg th_SummitS125JBarRemoval014.jpg

For plastics I use Greygate plastic polish, after reading a recommendation here at FPN (I've never found Novus at a sensible price here in the UK). They do a separate polish specifically for cellulose acetate too.

Edited by Flounder, 04 September 2013 - 16:34.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Jinhao 321 giveaway