Mont Blanc Meisterstück Le Grande Mechanical Pencil

longweight

I hope that this review is ok, it is my first so please do give me some feedback if you feel that I need to do a better job! I have tried to follow the forum instructions as well as I can.

INTRODUCTION:

I received this pencil for Christmas from my father, it completes the set that I have been hoping to own for a few years now, the other two pens being a 149 Meisterstück ballpoint and EF fountain pen. All are Le Grande size, I have quite large hands and in the past I have found that smaller pens make my hands hurt after prolonged use. The Meisterstück pencil came in the standard Mont Blanc box and warranty booklet.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8218/8419016851_d7fca7b20f_b.jpg

WP_20130127_001 by alongweight, on Flickr

Appearance & Design (9/10)

The 149 mechanical pencil has a classic design which I love, my first Mont Blanc pen was the ballpoint which is resin with gold highlights and therefore I picked a matching fountain pen and mechanical pencil.

The Le Grande pencil is only available with 0.9mm lead, the standard size version is available with 0.5 or 0.7mm leads, it would be nice to have a choice with the Le Grande, I prefer 0.5mm lead but my major priority was the larger body size.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8420116066_4466e50c53_b.jpg

WP_20130127_008 by alongweight, on Flickr

A very nice detail is found under the lid, a punched or laser cut lead diameter in the metal casing, this is offset nicely by the crosscut (gold?) eraser holder.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8420116582_19e6127937_b.jpg

WP_20130127_020 by alongweight, on Flickr

Weight & Dimensions (9/10)

The pencil weighs ~50g with the rubber and 8 leads which is a very comfortable weight, I've used it for 3 hour exams and the weight was not an issue. The pencil measures 15cm in length, this matches the fountain pen when it has it's cap screwed on.

I find that the dimensions and weight of the pencil work really well for me, the large size fits well in my large hands.

Nib & Performance (8/10)

The pencil performs well but the 0.9mm lead makes it hard to keep a consistent line thickness. If I pause to erase a mistake and then continue writing the different position of the lead changes the sharpness and thickness of the line, this isn't a huge problem but it is a little bit frustrating.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8420115688_718e9bda38_b.jpg

WP_20130127_052 by alongweight, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8419017905_0fe56809e5_b.jpg

WP_20130127_003 by alongweight, on Flickr

Filling System & Maintenance (5/10)

The biggest disappointment for me is the filling system. The lead has to be loaded from the front, this means taking the lid off, removing the rubber, sliding a single lead out and then inserting it into the nib. Then I have to wind the lead back into the body.

Changing the eraser is simple, all that is required is to slightly bend the holder outwards and the eraser drops out.

Replacement leads come in a pack of 10, the plastic casing is quite nice:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8420116236_7563cd1d94_b.jpg

WP_20130127_014 by alongweight, on Flickr

Replacement erasers are sold individually:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8419017355_c4e4f656f3_b.jpg

WP_20130127_016 by alongweight, on Flickr

Cost & Value (8/10)

The Le Grande Meisterstück mechanical pencil retails for £270.00 in the UK and I feel that this a reasonable price for the pencil, after using it for a month I am very happy with it. Refill leads cost £3.90 for a pack of ten and the erasers are £1.90 each, not unreasonable prices in my eyes.

Conclusion (6.5, 39/6)

Overall I do really like this pencil, it fits well in my hand, looks superb and has a good eraser. I would buy the pencil again but only because it completes my set, I'm not sure that I would buy it if I didn’t already have two other Meisterstück pens nor am I sure that I would recommend it to a friend.

The method of replacing the lead is quite disappointing, I may be doing something wrong but I have searched the web but I found nothing.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8505/8383153815_3cc0dfc534_b.jpg

WP_20130115_009 by alongweight, on Flickr

key-bored.net - longweight's mechanical keyboard site

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longweight

• Blade Runner

• SamKl

• jkingrph

Thank you for an excelent review of a beautiful pencil. The photos are great! I often use pencils at work, and love carrying matching fountain pen and pencil sets. I don't yet have any as high-end as a MB, and I haven't acquired any three-piece sets yet, though there have been times that would be handy.

Inserting the lead through the tip is the standard method of filling twist advance pencils like this, so I don't think you are doing anything wrong. One advantage of the 0.9 mm lead is that a single piece will last much longer than a piece of 0.5 mm lead, so you won't have to refill as often!

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Hi,

That is indeed a nice pencil. Yes, you do have to feed the lead in the front of the pencil. It's standard procedure for these propelling pencils. If you like the propelling mechanism, it's worth it. I happen to like this mechanism a lot. I think it has its charm

Enjoy!

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

The Cross that has the same mechanism, the 0.9mm one, which is discontinued, is filled the same way, through the front. Only the newer twist ratchet ones refill through the back.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

That's a nice grey ink

:ltcapd:

OK, seriously, nice review. You don't see the pencels reviewed often so thank you. Try rotating the pencil in your hand as you write so the lead wears down more evenly. Another option is to get a harder grade of lead like H or 2H. Look for them in an art supply store.

I have three, black/gold, black/platinum and Bordeaux. They are excellent old style pencils with a nice heft and feel.

Regards

Jeff

Thank you for your nice review.

I think all pencils starting at 0.9mm are refilled the same way. I don't see that as a problem, it's just the way they are.

My opinion is that it is a good decision of MB to offer this bigger pencil only with 0.9 leads; it does not make much sense to me to have a big pencil with a thin lead. A bigger pencil is used more to sketch than to write, so what you need is a thicker lead, a 0.5 is no use for that.

If you're not so happy with the 0.9 writing, maybe you should just try to writte bigger so that line thickness is not an issue.

Congrats on you pencil, I find it really nice :thumbup:

Thanks a lot guys! I was a bit nervous posting this as some of the other reviews are so well written!

I actually don't mind the refilling from the front now, I found out about it during the run up to an exam so I was quite stressed! I have the 149 ballpoint and fountain pen which I could review but I would imagine that there are already lots of reviews for those.

key-bored.net - longweight's mechanical keyboard site

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review. I have one of these pencils on order. How does the loading work? Do you just drop the lead in? Or do you drop it in then push the lead against a hard surface until it "clicks" or something along those lines?

Also, a clarification:

I have the 149 ballpoint and fountain pen which I could review but I would imagine that there are already lots of reviews for those.

Do you mean 149 Diplomat fountain pen and 161 LeGrand ballpoint?

Thanks for the review. I have one of these pencils on order. How does the loading work? Do you just drop the lead in? Or do you drop it in then push the lead against a hard surface until it "clicks" or something along those lines?

Also, a clarification:

I have the 149 ballpoint and fountain pen which I could review but I would imagine that there are already lots of reviews for those.

Do you mean 149 Diplomat fountain pen and 161 LeGrand ballpoint?

First make sure that all the lead is removed (pull the short used piece out of the retract sleeve), Next turn the cap to the completed retracted position. Next slowly insert the lead and gently push all the way in. Finally propel the lead out a little bit maybe 1/8 inch ( 2-3mm) and gently press on a hard surface to engage the propelling sleeve, and you are done.

Regards

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. But how on earth can you give this an 8/10 in terms of value? This costs between ten and hundred times more than other good quality mechanical pencils. There's even a Japanese-made pencil, less than $25, that automatically rotates the lead to give you an even line. And regardless of how much you pay for the pencil, the lead does the writing.

Why is this worth 10 times more than a high quality Pentel? It isn't as a pencil. As a status symbol, maybe it is.

Edited by SamKl

Thanks for the review. But how on earth can you give this an 8/10 in terms of value? This costs between ten and hundred times more than other good quality mechanical pencils. There's even a Japanese-made pencil, less than $25, that automatically rotates the lead to give you an even line. And regardless of how much you pay for the pencil, the lead does the writing.

Why is this worth 10 times more than a high quality Pentel? It isn't as a pencil. As a status symbol, maybe it is.

Because value is in large part a personal interpretation. For many here the experience of writing is more than the ability to make a line. How a pen/pencil feels in the hand and its appearance and other factors such as rarity, vintage status, sentimental value, and even social status can be important factors in choosing a pen, and if it's worth it to them, it has value.

Edited by Blade Runner

Because value is in large part a personal interpretation. For many here the experience of writing is more than the ability to make a line. How a pen/pencil feels in the hand and its appearance and other factors such as rarity, vintage status, sentimental value, and even social status can be important factors in choosing a pen, and if it's worth it to them, it has value.

+1 Perfect :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Then maybe instead of calling it "value" we should call it "how much I like it." There's nothing wrong with liking something that's not a bargain, but liking something and its being a bargain are two different things.

Edited by SamKl

Then maybe instead of calling it "value" we should call it "how much I like it." There's nothing wrong with liking something that's not a bargain, but liking something and its being a bargain are two different things.

The majority of my MBs are bargains, second hand pens or new pens at significant discount from list.

But sometimes I don't mind paying list if that means I can have a pen sooner than later and I have a warranty and don't have to pay for the potential problems of second hand pens (which are not always a bargain). It really depends on how much and how soon I want that pen and how much I have to spend.

Edited by Blade Runner

Value mean Value not Bargin. I have a Porsche, which certainly is not a Bargin, but I think that it is a has great Value.

Check the dictionary.

Good luck with your Pencil