Lamy Red ... Cartridge Vs Bottle Ink

neuro23

I thought I'd show a comparison of the "red" LAMY ink from both the cartridge and the bottle.

Big surprise ... they're the same colour; however, if you've read the reviews on the forum you already know this ink doesn't write in red.

The good:

• I like the bottle: it's a glass inkwell that tapers at the bottom. The taper will be useful to those who will actually use this light pinkish-orange down to the last few drops ;)
  • A plastic reel that snaps onto the bottom contains a 1.5 m strip (thirty 1.5 cm x 5 cm segments) of blotting paper, perforated every 5 cm. Now that's something I'll use!
  • It looks nice on a shelf

The bad:

• The packaging says Lamy red but it isn't red ink.
  • Whether from a cartridge or bottle, this ink is watery thin and doesn't lubricate the nib very well at all.
  • There is ink creep even with Lamy nibs (I've tried this ink with both medium and broad Lamy nibs)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqZ,!hYFDvHereoMBRBBQU87yQ~~48_20.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqYOKocFDwEk(PU-BRBCPmV2Kw~~48_20.JPG

post-97392-0-10309500-1359232647.jpg

P.S. The ink skates on 90g Clairfontaine paper.

the fantasy of inviolacy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neuro23

• Dioxazine

• NedC

• notVirtuThe3rd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hate was a strong word, but I bought it for work on the recommendation of a salesperson who really knows pens. Might give the mix a try. Does Lamy mix only with Lamy or could a J.H. work as well?

the fantasy of inviolacy

Hate was a strong word, but I bought it for work on the recommendation of a salesperson who really knows pens. Might give the mix a try. Does Lamy mix only with Lamy or could a J.H. work as well?

I don't have much experience with J Herbin but I've heard that the inks generally vary a lot when it comes to pH, and Noodler's tend to be pH 7 and I have a pretty good amount of experience with those. Mixing this with Noodler's Yellow produced great results, mixing it with Apache Sunset was disappointing/underwhelming, mixing with 41 Brown was okay. Haven't really worked with it a lot, though. Mixing it with Noodler's Blacks were okay.

I think Lamy red is carmine, and it seems to be pretty stable when mixed with stuff. What matters is avoiding mixing inks of different pH in general, but uh, can't be really specific there :B I've never had problems mixing Lamy inks with each other, just unsatisfying ink at the end.

I think maybe adding fluorescent chartreuse to it will create sparkly chunks (like Noodler's Dragon's Napalm which is part carmine and part fl. chartreuse) but I haven't actually tried doing that myself.

Maybe adding a bit of blue or Turquoise will make it look more serious and easy to read?

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

I mixed Lamy Red with De Atramentis Christmas Red 2012 and also with some Pelikan Brilliant Black in some 3cc syringes. The closest I came to a passable red was with ~0.3cc Christmas added to ~1cc Lamy.

I have no idea of the composition or pH of the Christmas Red but, at the risk of gumming the feed, I tried the mix in a pen anyway. Under incandescent light, its hue was more saturated than Lamy Red and appears similar to Mont Blank Bordeaux on my monitor (see below).

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqR,!hgFDVNuPh8pBRC7g8Q0j!~~48_20.JPG

After skimming the "Index of Ink Reviews" thread, I'll probably buy Waterman Red for work.

Aiden

the fantasy of inviolacy

Nice review!

Thanks for sharing so much. :)

Hey thanks Virtu, I bought another red (one that I can use at work on legal documents). It's a strawberry red. Looking forward to reviewing it!

Aiden

the fantasy of inviolacy

Nice review!

Thanks for sharing so much. :)

Hey thanks Virtu, I bought another red (one that I can use at work on legal documents). It's a strawberry red. Looking forward to reviewing it!

Aiden

Looking forward to that review.

You can never have enough red ink.

And thanks for the review, I was thinking of buying some Lamy red.

Now I think I'm going to look elsewhere, my next red has to be, well, redder.

M.

Nice review, thanks :)

Used sparingly on white paper against black text it looks pretty red. I use it for marking undergraduate assignments in a fine nib; it's cheap and it handles the cheap paper quite well too.

The lucky students get Montblanc Winterglow Red, not that they notice :(

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan