Varuna Vishal

amantadine

Hello all! This is my first review so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I wanted to review the Varuna Vishal ebonite pen, a recent purchase and a pen that I greatly enjoy!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8071/8413764545_fbb0699c5e_o.jpg

INITIAL IMPRESSION

I had been to-ing and fro-ing for a long time before purchasing this pen. Nevertheless when it arrived needless to say I was very much looking forward to getting it inked and start using it straight away. The delivery box was much smaller than I had imagined - I was expecting something much bigger based on previous pens I had ordered.

The packaging of the pen itself was very simple, and it came accompanied by a pipette, instruction card (for eyedropper usage) and a small pot of silicone grease.

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN (09/10)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8413764641_40d5841338_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8413764599_fd67e73603_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8414863152_d934b5d633_o.jpg

This pen is not subtle by any stretch. I wanted something bold and the red/white/blue combo looked perfect on the website. I wasn't sure also what to expect with the ebonite smell (this being my first ebonite pen). It was definitely an acquired taste - either it has become less strong over the past few days, or I am growing more accustomed to that rubber-y smell!

The pen design itself is rather simple - rounded cap that is continuous with the barrel, tapering all the way to the flat bottom. The finish is smooth and glossy. I opted for the "polished" finish as I have been informed that the textured or "bakul" finish can dull the colours. I tend to clip the pen to my jacket pocket at work and so I opted for a simple gold coloured clip. Takes approximately 4.5-5 turns to remove the cap - it may not be to everyone's tastes for "start/stop" writing.

CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY (09/10)

One of the pros for me was the handmade nature of the pen. The finish on the barrel and cap is excellent - v. smooth and polished. The build quality is excellent. Perhaps one downside would be the black section. I think this detracts slightly from the colour scheme of the rest of the pen. In no way does this pen feel flimsy. Once capped there is no discernible step between the cap and barrel. This definitely feels like it could withstand some damage - something which I am not intending to test at all!

WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS (10/10)

Dimensions

Length: 149mm (capped), 178mm (posted)

Diameter: 15.7mm

Weight: 28g (empty), 32g (full)

For me this pen strikes that nice balance between not so light so as to feel cheap but not so heavy that I cannot use this for long writing sessions. As someone with big hands the diameter of the pen is great and this is very comfortable to hold and use. If I had to suggest an improvement - I would possibly prefer the un-posted length to be longer (I generally write with pens unposted).

NIB AND PERFORMANCE (09/10 - post-adjustment)

I ordered the German nib (Fine) option from Andy's Pens (iridium-tipped). When I inked this pen and started writing I was incredibly impressed with how smooth this nib was. I was also disappointed that the line was too thick for my liking - easily comparable to a medium nib (however slightly less thick than my Pelikan M600 medium).

The nib unit unscrews very easily - giving the option to replace it with the nib of your choice. I (perhaps foolishly) saw this as an opportunity to adjust the nib myself, and gently adjusted the tines. Post-adjustment this is still a wet writer, but much less so thatn previously. The line is also much thinner, not as thin as a TWSBI Vac 700 Fine but far closer to what I prefer using.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8413792441_3356086df1_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8364/8414890376_fa5896231b_o.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE (09/10)

If used as an eyedropper this pen has an enormous capacity. However this pen also came supplied with a piston convertor - which I have chosen to use. I'm not sure whether an eyedropper pen is best suited for my work and want to reduce the chance of leakages/mess.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8413764549_f75b62ce83_o.jpg

COST AND VALUE (10/10)

I bought this from Andy's Pens (no affiliation). This being my first purchase from this company - I was very impressed with the speed with which my questions were answered and also the deliver time. Although not the cheapest pen I have bought I see this as good value for money spent!

CONCLUSION (Final Score = 56/60)

My first ebonite pen. Definitely not my last (in fact I am currently awaiting the Gajendra). This has surpassed my expectations - I love the material and colours, the finish and build quality are fantastic, but most of all this pen is so much fun to use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8413764491_1c5041c64b_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8413792421_0fcf3f0d61_o.jpg

Edited by amantadine

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpeakerToAnimals

• terim

• rwilsonedn

• amantadine

Nice review and very nice photos.

I have a few Varuna pens that are eyedropper only, but in more conventional ebonite colors. I have also bought Ranga pens directly from the manufacturer (Varuna is an export name for Ranga), including a batch of 3 of the wilder ebonite colors. One of the three is exactly the pen you show but in blue/black coloring. They are all eyedropper only and in my case the sections are made of the same colored ebonite as the rest of the pen. The only downside is that they came from India with Indian nibs (Wality nibs in the latest pens) that required a lot of work to get them acceptable. However, the pens came with a medium nib fitted and a spare fine nib and feed (push in). I think that they are a bargain - where else can you get a large handmade pen in very unusual ebonite colors for about $50 (customized about 10% extra in my case). Even if you choose to replace the nib with a German one, it is still a bargain. No affiliation - just a very satisfied customer.

very nice pen...i just found damageable that the design on the cap is not aligning with the one on the body

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

The Vishal (and its brother, the Rajan) are great pens for the money. The ebonite body allows for fixing different kind of nibs and feed if you choose to!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I had a Varuna Rajan and it was definetly a nice pen. Ranga make good pens, especially when fitted with a German or Sheaffer nib. Unfortunately the Indian made nibs don't seem to be up to the same standard as the pens.

^^ I havent really had too many issues with any of the Wality nibs on the Rangas (or with the ones on the Deccan pens). They write smoothly, with a modest amount of paper feedback, which I like.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 8 months later...

very nice pen...i just found damageable that the design on the cap is not aligning with the one on the body

If you notice the threads that extend from the barrel, you'll see why it is not possible to get the pattern to totally align, given that the cap and barrel are being turned from the same single chunk of ebonite rod. There's some of the exterior pattern that you lose when the threads are cut.

If you want perfect matches, don't go for these premium ebonites, where part of the fun is seeing what variation you get -- and I see that Andys does try to accomodate you if you want one end as opposed to the other of these mixes of colours. My blue/red/white version is quite nicely purply-blue on the cap, with larger streaks of white on the barrel. I got mine from Ranga, with the grip section the same colour as the rest of then pen.

Edited by SpeakerToAnimals

I've been thinking about ordering a Ranga pen for some time, but it's a pity that they use Airmail nibs. Based on the non-huge number of samples I have of Indian pens, Camlin, Serwex and Fellowship nibs are usually quite a bit better, and the only Ritter nib I have is really nice, and I've also been pleased with the fine and flex nibs from FPR. I don't know which of these are made by the same companies as the branding indicates, and which are available on the open market, but the point is that there are Indian made nibs that (IMO) are superior to Airmail nibs.

I know that they're available with German nibs from Andy's pens (as the reviewer also said), but I have this irrational preference of having the nib made in the same country as the pen :-)

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Thanks for the great review. I've been looking at the Varuna pens for a while, but undecided between the Vishal, and the Bamboo.

I know they look somewhat different from each other, but I haven't seen anyone on the FP forum mentioning the Varuna Bamboo yet. Can anyone give a comment on it?

I've also been pleased with the fine and flex nibs from FPR.....

Except as far as I can see the FPR nibs are #5, rather than the #6 that I've fitted to my Ranga no 3 models (Rajan in Andys branding). I've used a nib from a Jinhao X750, plus a Knox nib for an X530, which is the Bulow version of the Jinhao 159.

So I guess it depends on whether you like the Jinhao nibs in the first place....................

My current pair have a broad and a medium nib. I'm waiting on a Range model 4 (Vishal), and I'm intending to fit another Knox nib to that, probably a fine, so I'll see how that goes. I've found that the adding a strip of tape (detailed elsewhere) to the ebonite feed is really needed, plus heat-setting the grip section and the nib and feed. Doing all that, I've got a really nice trio of pens for not too much. Plus I'll admit I just LOVE the swirly colours in the premium ebonies -- somedays I just want a big black chunk of metal, other days a sulphur-scented chunk of colour.........................

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the great review. I've been looking at the Varuna pens for a while, but undecided between the Vishal, and the Bamboo.

I know they look somewhat different from each other, but I haven't seen anyone on the FP forum mentioning the Varuna Bamboo yet. Can anyone give a comment on it?

As regards the Bamboo, I have one in premium blue/green/orange ebonite, from Ranga directly. That particular ebonite has enormous variation, so in the 2 pens I already had, one is mostly green, another is mostly orange and blue, so for the bamboo, I asked for mostly blue, and that is what was delivered!

I then fitted the bamboo with a Knox 1.1mm calligraphy nib, and filled it with Iroshizuku kiri-same grey ink. And it is loverlee!!! A perfect pen for writing proper letters to friends that you actually like!

I'm waiting on a hand-carved version, and an enormous model 5. I note that I can't find them on ebay.co.uk at the momentm even when I search, but have to login to ebay.COM. You can also find then on amazon.COM, and the prices are the same across both sites -- if you want them direct from Ranga that is, and you don't mind a bit of fiddling yourself to get the eyedroppers set up. Although it seems that Ranga are now selling them with chinese(?) aerometric fillers, for a little extra.

Peyton street pens have a whole exciting range of Ranga bodies fitted with NOS nibs etc, and various alternatives to eyedroppers (aerometric & blow fillers), although for me the additional cost PLUS extortionate postage rates from the U.S. put the kybosh on that (the postage rates mainly!). Although Peyton does have a model designed specially for them which is really pretty!

I just hope that Ranga are doing good business, they deserve it given these lovely handmade pens. And now with these partnerships putting different nibs and fillers in, seems that you CAN have the best of both worlds -- hand-made, one-off bodies, plus the feed and nib that you want, without having to send your favourite nib to India.

That's one beautiful piece of ebonite!

And to what SpeakertoAnimals says, +1. I had to try one of Peyton Street's blow fillers, just because the filling system is so unusual these days. Works wonderfully. And the nib and feed they use make the pen trouble-free and a fine writer. In general I agree it's great that Ranga is working with others to bring their wonderful workmanship to a broader market.

ron

Hey Ron-

Glad to hear the blow filler is working out for you. We're finding it a really trouble-free system, less worrisome of course than eye droppers. We will be looking for interesting nibs at the L A show to pair up with our blow filler Rangas.

Teri

Hey Ron-

Glad to hear the blow filler is working out for you. We're finding it a really trouble-free system, less worrisome of course than eye droppers. We will be looking for interesting nibs at the L A show to pair up with our blow filler Rangas.

Teri

I have to say I do admire the almost mathematical simplicity of the Soquel version you sell, even if postage rates mean I probably won't be tempted myself! But I can still look and lust..........................

I have to say I do admire the almost mathematical simplicity of the Soquel version you sell, even if postage rates mean I probably won't be tempted myself! But I can still look and lust..........................

Here's one vote for going ahead and doing it. You'll never find a more reliable or interesting filling mechanism, and all that on a beautiful pen with (if you wish) an interesting nib. (No vested interest here except that I really like mine ...)

ron

Here's one vote for going ahead and doing it. You'll never find a more reliable or interesting filling mechanism, and all that on a beautiful pen with (if you wish) an interesting nib. (No vested interest here except that I really like mine ...)

ron

We've just ordered up a version of the Soquel with a clip .... I hope that won't detract from the simplicity, but it will certainly keep the pen from rolling off the desk!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm waiting on a hand-carved version, and an enormous model 5.............

These have turned up, the hand-carved in black, mirror finish, and the model 5 in blue ripple.

Unfortunately, the carved one has a bit of a gouge on it. But apart from that, a really nice shape, like the bamboo but with extra twiddly bits! I swapped in a Knox 1.1mm calligraphy nib (intended to be a desk pen for letter writing), and Iroshizuku asa-gao ink. I had no problems at all with fitting the nib (sliver of tape in feed slot!), and writes beautifully. And a terrific colour as well.

Then I turned to the model 5. The blue ripple looks almost green under my LED desklamp, or does a flip-flop between being blue and being green when I have other lighting on, but that is energy-saving non-incadescents for you...................

I wanted to switch in a Knox B nib. But I had REAL problems with fitting it! First couple of nibs I tried just would not sit right with the feed. I tried the spare feed, but that had a slot the size of the grand canyon, that would have required a whole roll of tape to try and correct it............. After a lot of swearing, inky fingers, hot water, and plain dumb luck, I finally got a B nib fitted that would perform, but still a little prone to burping, even WITH the magic tape in feed slot trick.

Other problem -- ridge at end of grip section was too sharp on my fingers, so I rubbed it down with nail buffer, and now I'm just waiting for stuff to try and polish it back up.

BUT -- let's face it, I don't expect Ranga eyedroppers to be perfect out of the box. From my previous 4, I know that you have to fiddle. But the model 5 is now an ENORMOUS (but light and comfy to hold) desk pen and general scribbler. With a B nib it uses loads of ink, so I've filled it with Rotring ultramarine (cheap as chips from Pilotfish -- no assoc etc etc).

So, I think I should stop at 6. I have model 4 and 2 duofold versions for, EF, M and OB, filled with Iroshizuku Tsut-suji, Iroshizuku Syo-ro, and Rotring ulramarine respectively. Handles most of my everyday work writing & annotation. Then the bamboo and the carved, both with 1.1mm calligraphic nibs, filled with Iroshizuku Kiri-same and Asa-gao for letters & diary writing. And then the model 5 as a home desk scribbler.

But when it comes to writing, I prefer these to my Sailors or even my rotring 600. Yes, the Sailor transports better, but the Sailor resin doesn't have the same feel in the hand as coloured ebonite. The Rotring 600 nibs are terrific for doing maths, but doesn't flow when writing script like a Ranga.

They're not a whip them out of your pocket to do the crossword or write a shopping list kind of pen, but the sitting down and considered, important words kind of pen. Letters? Best of all, I just need to find some more friends so I can write more letters..............................