Omas "new" Gray

maverickmage

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/maverickmage/OmasGray_zps0e69911a.jpg

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/maverickmage/OmasGrayshade_zpsd01dad20.jpg

This ink was a pain in the butt to scan. It's very light so the scanner didn't want to pick up the color. Had to adjust it a bit in photoshop to make it look like what I'm seeing.

BTW, if you're having a hard time reading the overview, this is what it says:

"After seeing the color swab on Goulet.com, I wanted to try this ink out. It is an interesting blue gray color. It shades, but is somewhat subtle. While I do love the color, I feel that this ink is too light for a daily carry ink. I think that it might be more suited for sketches. It shades very nicely in increments.

This ink flows wet and takes some time to dry, but strangely dries quickly in the nib."

Edited by maverickmage

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maverickmage

• sarahfar

• Sandy1

• flowerville

Right now, I'm loving gray ink because it is close to black and (some) shades very nicely. I wanted an ink that I can use in more "official" setting, which basically narrows down my choices to blue or black. I like black inks more than blue, so I decided to try my options. I would have gone black, but after coming from a dip pen/india ink, I have yet to see a black fountain pen ink that I like as much. Gray colors seemed to be a nice compromise.

i like grey too and while this is light it has its own special beauty.

i was wondering about the name, "New" Grey, is it any different from the Omas old grey? because that old one seems to be a bit darker.

Hi,

Many thanks for your time & effort to review this ink. :)

For me Grey ink is tricky; and one so pale as Omas falls beyond my useful range.

Your efforts have allowed to me avoid an unrewarding purchase! :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Absolutely, Omas worst ink, is so watery as to be basically useless. I think Gray's are exceptionally hard to pull off. The one I like isn't really gray, Iro's new ink. I also may try MB Einstein but not sure there either....

Clear review though and fine job, just the ink is thin and watery, had it, and gave it away....

Yeah I have a bottle of it and maybe need to try darkening it with just a TOUCH of a black ink? I really really like it, but it is just a TOUCH too light to read easily. The shading in a big fat nib is just gorgeous though. It is so silvery. An ink I want to like very, very much.

i like grey too and while this is light it has its own special beauty.

i was wondering about the name, "New" Grey, is it any different from the Omas old grey? because that old one seems to be a bit darker.

Beats me. That's the way it was listed on Goulet's website. I would assume that it's a new formulation of their gray. It seems a lot of their inks went through some changes.

Hi,

For me Grey ink is tricky; and one so pale as Omas falls beyond my useful range.

Bye,

S1

lol. No problem. Part of the reason to do these reviews is so that others can make some use of it in their purchases.

Absolutely, Omas worst ink, is so watery as to be basically useless. I think Gray's are exceptionally hard to pull off. The one I like isn't really gray, Iro's new ink. I also may try MB Einstein but not sure there either....

Clear review though and fine job, just the ink is thin and watery, had it, and gave it away....

I love the Iro grays too. Not true grays, but that makes it very interesting as well.

Yeah I have a bottle of it and maybe need to try darkening it with just a TOUCH of a black ink? I really really like it, but it is just a TOUCH too light to read easily. The shading in a big fat nib is just gorgeous though. It is so silvery. An ink I want to like very, very much.

I agree with you. It's an ink I WANT to like very, very much. It's interesting when the color gets layered so as to become darker. It might be okay for dip pen users that uses fountain pen ink since dip pens lays inks a bit thicker.

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Agree, Noodlers Lexington (have) or Diamine Grey (would get if I need another bottle and couldn't get Lexington) is about the limit for me.

YMMV

Agree, Noodlers Lexington (have) or Diamine Grey (would get if I need another bottle and couldn't get Lexington) is about the limit for me.

For me gray(ish) inks are all about the shading. Noodler's Lexington Gray doesn't really shade much in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

very ncie gray, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I find it much paler than my old Omas Grey. Still, the new one seems to be more subtle, the old one almost too "plain" a grey.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)