#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:12

Camlin is a very old stationery goods manufacturer based in my city Mumbai in India. The majority stake of the company was sold last year by the son of the founder, to the Japanese stationery giant Kokuyo. Speculation was rife about the future of Camlin, but it appears that under the Kokuyo management, Camlin is going to continue to make more fountain pens. The Elegante is the first new model to come out, and the Sharad Dandekar aka SD pen has also been re-issued with some price adjustments.

The Elegante is a cartridge converter pen, features a plated brass snap cap and can be filled as an ED in addition to C/C, thanks to the fine section threads. The nib is gold plated steel with a nicely finned modern plastic feeder.

The pen comes packed in a simple triangular carboard packing with a slide out cardboard pen tray. i immediately discarded the packing after taking pics :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Pen:
Posted Image

Uncapped:
Posted Image

Opened to show the slide converter:
Posted Image

The GP steel nib:
Posted Image

Finned Plastic feeder:
Posted Image

Fine section threads permit use of the pen in ED mode:
Posted Image

Glamour shot!
Posted Image

Writing sample:
Posted Image

The pen is very well built in my opinion, considering the 180INR (3.5USD approximately) that I paid for it. The pen wrote consistently well from the first stroke itself. Superb achievement Camlin-Kokuyo!

Cheers!
Hari

#2 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:32

Hari:
This seems to raise an interesting question. Can Kokuyo bring stronger manufacturing and marketing resources to Camlin while allowing them to continue making pens that have genuine Indian character? Or will the purchase mean that Camlin has to start making generic low-priced pens and will end up competing head-to-head against the Chinese?
ron

#3 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:57

Great review Hari and as usual excellent photographs. Can't wait to try one!

#4 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 00:44

Thanks Hari. Great review and photos. This pen looks very promising at a very reasonable price.
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:07

Hari:
This seems to raise an interesting question. Can Kokuyo bring stronger manufacturing and marketing resources to Camlin while allowing them to continue making pens that have genuine Indian character? Or will the purchase mean that Camlin has to start making generic low-priced pens and will end up competing head-to-head against the Chinese?
ron

Ron, I hope it is the former and it looks like the former also. Earlier the pens like SD were not marketed adequately, there was shortage and not many shops were carrying the stock or even interested since the thinking was that no one would buy a 600INR Indian pen, they would buy a Parker instead... Kokuyo seems to have expanded the marketing and now many online retailers in India carry the pens, which is a good move. FP inks, the main product of Camlin in the school stationery business still continues to be made with revamped Kokuyo branded packing. Things look positive. I think Camlin cannot compete with the Chinese, the volumes and price points are very different. The costliest Hero pen that one would buy in India would cost just 60Rs for example. anything costlier than that would not move... The USP of Camlin would be reasonably priced, long lasting stuff, attributes that the Elegante should be able to deliver.

Best
Hari

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08

Great review Hari and as usual excellent photographs. Can't wait to try one!

Thanks Hari. Great review and photos. This pen looks very promising at a very reasonable price.

Thanks Jayant, Keith.

#7 shrujaya

shrujaya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:55

Hi Hari...good pen, buddy...I was in two minds actually when I visited their site to place my order for SD...I actually placed an Elegante in my cart before taking it out...anyway, one of these days...your post has inspired me...yeah, coming to the pen itself, I thought there were some similarities with the Camlin Trinity...the triple filling system for instance...of course, for the Trinity, they highlighted the triple-filling system on the pack itself...and the packing itself...and the feeder is similar too, except that the Trinity has 8 stamped on the circular indentation and the Elegante has 13...maybe the feeder size number...just some observations...

The writing sample tells me that the pen writes well...and you have mentioned it too...enjoy using the Elegante...

Jai
Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

#8 ashwinsitaram

ashwinsitaram

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 16:18

Nice pictures and review Hari. I'm actually waiting for a Camlin SD in the mail after ordering from one of the 2 sites you had recommended.:vbg:

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 16:47

Thanks Ashwin, Jai. Jai, I had forgotten that the trinity had a plastic feeder, this is a good chance for me to pull the trinity out and compare the parts. Now I am tempted to buy the blue and maroon Elegante too. But will resist for the moment, haha.

#10 abhishek

abhishek

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:27

i have got one of these.loved the finish ,packing.but somehow the nib is not that smooth.can u please suggest which ink to use(please only inks available locally and not to costly).I had tried camel and quink.
thanks
Lamy Safari,Wing Sung 233,Camlin Trinity,

#11 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:32

i have got one of these.loved the finish ,packing.but somehow the nib is not that smooth.can u please suggest which ink to use(please only inks available locally and not to costly).I had tried camel and quink.
thanks

Hi I have inked three Elegantes to date, one for me and two for my colleagues. All three were excellent writers thankfully, the nib is not buttery smooth but has a small amount of pleasant feedback. If the nib is scratchy, just look at the tip under a magnifying lens, pref 10x. see if the tips are lined up correctly. I think the ink will not make much of a difference. I am using Camel blue in it. HTH

Hari

#12 abhishek

abhishek

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:25

thanks

Hi I have inked three Elegantes to date, one for me and two for my colleagues. All three were excellent writers thankfully, the nib is not buttery smooth but has a small amount of pleasant feedback. If the nib is scratchy, just look at the tip under a magnifying lens, pref 10x. see if the tips are lined up correctly. I think the ink will not make much of a difference. I am using Camel blue in it. HTH

Hari

Thanks.will try it.
Lamy Safari,Wing Sung 233,Camlin Trinity,

#13 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 16:10

Gr8 review and pictures ..

Its nice to see that Indian FPN manufacturers r coming with new designs .

I will get one soon ..

Regards ,

'BAAZ'

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 16:42

Baaz, following is a good source for these pens in India.

http://www.stationer...tain-pen/p/2610

NAYY.

#15 Inky Tom

Inky Tom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 17:20

Hari, have seen the pen and handled it in a shop - surprisingly well built for the price as you said. Been in two minds about buying it but now it seems I'll be Rs200 poorer tomorrow now that I've read your review :(.

#16 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:39

Hi Hariji ,

Are Camlin nibs available in local Indian market for this pen ??

Pl.revert ,

Regards ,

BAAZ

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:40

Hi Baaz, Have not tried, my guess is that they are not available.

#18 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 13:51

Hi Hariji ,

Are Camlin nibs available in local Indian market for this pen ??

Pl.revert ,

Regards ,

BAAZ

Camlin has stopped selling stock nibs for its fountain pens. However, if you wish to buy approx 50-100 nibs then you can contact Ambitious Pens Private Limited, Delhi. They used to manufacture nibs for Camlin. But I'm not sure for these days.

Cheers,
Binod

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 16:41

But I'm not sure for these days.

not in a long time, AFAIK. :)

I have also not seen spare Elegante and SD nibs on the Camlin website. Maybe if we send in the pen to Camlin, they might replace for a fee?

#20 kapilapshankar

kapilapshankar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:09

I got a new Camlin Elegante yesterday in Navy Blue. Looks very sleek and stylish, writes wonderfully well. Very close to a M nib, leaning on the F side. Nearly butter smooth out of the box with only a whispery rustle. Couldn't have been happier for the price. 

Tried using it in the ED mode, and got my hands smeared in blue ink. It leaks from the tail end. Apparently there's a metal pin that goes at the tail and that is where the leak is. Not sure if that's by design - or a defect.

Has anybody else tried using this pen in the ED mode with success?

@Hari: Your original review seems to suggest that this pen does work in ED mode. Should I try exploring a repair route for the pen? I don't mind continuing to use it in the CC mode - as long as I can get a day's writing with it. (I am a heavy writer).

Cheers.

Kapil 

#21 Aramchek

Aramchek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:41

I tried filling the barrel of mine with water and, sure enough, it leaks. So, i looks like your pen is not faulty, the model (unlike, say, the Trinity) probably just was never intended as an eyedropper.

I'm unable to unscrew the metal disc, otherwise it might have been possible to use some silicon grease.

STR:12 DEX: 5 CON:7 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3 Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

#22 kapilapshankar

kapilapshankar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:47

Thank you Aramchek for the confirmation. My mind is more at ease now that I know my piece isn't defective.

Cheers!

Kapil

#23 notimetoulouse

notimetoulouse

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2013 - 22:32

I've tried Hari's link, and they only ship within India...does anyone know another site that sells Camiin elegantes and SD's? I love giving Kevin at FPR my money, but $50 for an SD from Kevin compared to $10 locally makes me want to initially look elsewhere if at all possible.

Hope there's someone out there who can help.

Safe Never Starts - Perfect Never Finishes

#24 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:22

I've tried Hari's link, and they only ship within India...does anyone know another site that sells Camiin elegantes and SD's? I love giving Kevin at FPR my money, but $50 for an SD from Kevin compared to $10 locally makes me want to initially look elsewhere if at all possible.

http://www.ebay.in/i...=item3a864a2e1d

Enquire with them if they are willing to ship abroad, they are very nice folks to deal with. NAYY.

#25 Taurean

Taurean

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:45

Nice review as usual, Hari. I got hold of a couple of these recently. Both write flawlessly out of the box, must say I'm impressed.

Parker VS (rust)
Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)
Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)
Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

#26 Kesava

Kesava

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:04

I finally got a Camlin Elegante! I ordered one online yesterday and today I stopped at a stationary shipped and they had them, so I got one from them. So soon I'll have two.

The pen is great quality for the price. It feels strong, the cap fits and clicks well. The nib is fantastic, very smooth with just a hint of resistance which is exactly how I like it.

It definitely feels of far better quality than the 190 rupees ($3) that I paid for it. The Hero 616 is a similar price and I would say that this pen looks, feels and performs 5 times better.

#27 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:08

ASApens seem to have them available and willing to ship worldwide:

http://asapens.in/eshop/

NAYY and hope this helps.

#28 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:09

I finally got a Camlin Elegante! I ordered one online yesterday and today I stopped at a stationary shipped and they had them, so I got one from them. So soon I'll have two.

The pen is great quality for the price. It feels strong, the cap fits and clicks well. The nib is fantastic, very smooth with just a hint of resistance which is exactly how I like it.

It definitely feels of far better quality than the 190 rupees ($3) that I paid for it. The Hero 616 is a similar price and I would say that this pen looks, feels and performs 5 times better.

thanks for confirming my impression of the pen. :) I fully agree.

#29 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:10

Nice review as usual, Hari. I got hold of a couple of these recently. Both write flawlessly out of the box, must say I'm impressed.

Nice to hear from you Shubham. Nice pen, this Elegante...

#30 vibs

vibs

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:48

Camlin is a very old stationery goods manufacturer based in my city Mumbai in India. The majority stake of the company was sold last year by the son of the founder, to the Japanese stationery giant Kokuyo. Speculation was rife about the future of Camlin, but it appears that under the Kokuyo management, Camlin is going to continue to make more fountain pens. The Elegante is the first new model to come out, and the Sharad Dandekar aka SD pen has also been re-issued with some price adjustments.

The Elegante is a cartridge converter pen, features a plated brass snap cap and can be filled as an ED in addition to C/C, thanks to the fine section threads. The nib is gold plated steel with a nicely finned modern plastic feeder.

The pen comes packed in a simple triangular carboard packing with a slide out cardboard pen tray. i immediately discarded the packing after taking pics :smile:

IMG_8086.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

The Pen:
IMG_8089.jpg

Uncapped:
IMG_8090.jpg

Opened to show the slide converter:
IMG_8091.jpg

The GP steel nib:
IMG_8092.jpg

Finned Plastic feeder:
IMG_8093.jpg

Fine section threads permit use of the pen in ED mode:
IMG_8094.jpg

Glamour shot!
IMG_8095.jpg

Writing sample:
IMG_8097.jpg

The pen is very well built in my opinion, considering the 180INR (3.5USD approximately) that I paid for it. The pen wrote consistently well from the first stroke itself. Superb achievement Camlin-Kokuyo!

Cheers!
Hari

Really Hari, I bought two of these and they are really great writing instruments.