Sheaffer Centennial Commemorative Fountain Pen

kpyeoman

Good morning all,

Sheaffer has posted their new centennial logo on Facebook and it looks pretty good! It prompted me to wonder if the company will be producing a pen to commemorate their 100th anniversary? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Have a good day,

Paul

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kpyeoman

• RMN

• raging.dragon

• Nathaniel Harter

:thumbup: I like the new logo, but had to think a bit before I recognized what appear to be targa nibs missing their vent holes. Are they going to make a commemorative pen? If so what would it look like given the commemorative they made with the oak box emblazoned with the lever patent.

I love Sheaffer's pens. Vanness always carried a great selection of them because they are great pens. Last year Sheaffer was very supportive of the Arkansas Pen Show. Please note our dates this year are March 8-10.

Henry Simpole and Deborah Basel will be at the show so come on down y'all it's gonna be a party!

Happy pen hunting,

Fernando

I'm a big fan, too! I'd like to know if there will be a centennial pen in order to start saving up for it. My assumption is that they'd do a finish on an existing pen, rather than introduce a one year production of a different pen (although, if they still had the tools for the late 1990s Sheaffer Balance II...).

There doesn't seem to be anything on their website about a centennial pen, though. It would be a shame if they didn't do one (even a different coloured Prelude or Legacy Heritage would work...)

Yes, Sheaffer did make a commemorative pen for their 100th anniversary.

Sheaffer is going to have examples of them at the upcoming Philadelphia Pen Show.

It's a Legacy Heritage model with a sterling silver barrel and cap with a special etched design and it will be a limited edition of 1913 examples for the year that Sheaffer was founded.

There is a picture of it on the Philly Pen Show website:

http://www.philadelphiapenshow.com

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thanks for this! I also kindly received a note about this from Dan at FP Geeks.

Not sure if I'll be able to get one given the low production model (and the likely steep price), so since the Taranis is going to be released in 2013, maybe I'll make that my pen to commemorate.

Not sure if I'll be able to get one given the low production model (and the likely steep price), so since the Taranis is going to be released in 2013, maybe I'll make that my pen to commemorate.

Speaking of the Taranis, is there a projected release date yet?

I personally am tired of these unimaginative re-hashes of the Legacy model, which in itself is a reworking of the PFM. I'm sick of this pen and the overpriced special editions produced from it. The PFM is a great example of design c. 1959, but isn't very appropriate to illustrate Sheaffer's 100th anniversary. They would be better off bringing back the Connaisseur or something similar and pricing it so that people could actually afford to buy it.

Dave

maybe something like a flat top?could be nice i think.Or maybe reintroduce a snorkel mechanism?well everything is possible.They'll surely do something but what?

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I personally am tired of these unimaginative re-hashes of the Legacy model, which in itself is a reworking of the PFM. I'm sick of this pen and the overpriced special editions produced from it. The PFM is a great example of design c. 1959, but isn't very appropriate to illustrate Sheaffer's 100th anniversary. They would be better off bringing back the Connaisseur or something similar and pricing it so that people could actually afford to buy it.

Dave

Agreed. I was also disappointed in the Legacy Heritage LE as I don't think it properly celebrates Sheaffer's anniversary due to the limited numbers available. I had my fingers crossed that they might have been able to dig the Balance II molds out of storage (if they still have them) and do another production run (given that the Balance II was a homage to arguably Sheaffer's most successful/influential pen).

I guess it all boils down to economics -- we fountain pen users are a relatively small market in relation to the costs associated with the production of a special, one-time "new" pen.

What is the taranis?

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

What is the taranis?

It a new Sheaffer model that has been pre-announced and is expected to be available sometime in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

I called my B&M shop. He contacted the Sheaffer agent for the Netherlands. The Taranis is apparently due September 2013. There was no information yet about weights and measures.

I like the Taranis, especially the white one. So I will hold my money for that one and probably not buy the Sagaris.

Interesting names btw. I wonder where they got them.

Makes me think of "Middle-Earth"

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think they should re introduce the lever filling system. I think a nice one like the ones from the 30s.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

I called my B&M shop. He contacted the Sheaffer agent for the Netherlands. The Taranis is apparently due September 2013. There was no information yet about weights and measures.

I like the Taranis, especially the white one. So I will hold my money for that one and probably not buy the Sagaris.

Interesting names btw. I wonder where they got them.

Makes me think of "Middle-Earth"

D.ick

Taranis is the name of a Celtic god of thunder. The sagaris was a pick axe wielded by ancient Persian cavalry.

Well, I have heard pens described as nails, and pitchforks....

but pick axe??? really.... :hmm1:

But Celtic indeed seems close enough to Middle-Earth to me.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

New pen announced on Sheaffer's Facebook page...a blend of a flat top and Legacy Heritage (can't seem to link to it with my IPad). Only around 500 of the silver and 45 of the gold versions available world wide...good odds there...