#1 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:22

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in 'Repairs' but both seemed valid enough! ;)

I recently acquired a Visi-Ink FP for £5 on Ebay. On arrival, it's quite nice. I can't see any markings on cap or clip at all. The blind cap to the bulb-filler is marked 'VISI-INK Pat No 439182 Made in England'. That's it. The pen has a Warranted 14CT nib with no other markings. Dipped, the nib is quite nice, although the tines are misaligned.

There was some of the bulb of the bulb-filler left but ossified and I can clean that up easily enough, although it'll need a pretty wide-mouthed sac to replace it. The dilemma comes up the other end of the barrel. There is a breather tube which didn't extend into the bulb. I suspect it was broken off at some point (I may have done it when I removed the remains of the bulb), but it was left flush with the bulb end of the barrel. The tube runs up through into the barrel but falls short of the section end, where it looks to have broken off. But looking at the end of the section, I can't see how it would have attached anyway..... It almost looks as if the section itself once had a sac as well....??? There is also a hole drilled through the section 'nipple' from one side to the other.

So, with my poor description and my poorer photos, can anyone tell me about this pen and whether it's possible to repair it?

Edited by Aysedasi, 07 January 2013 - 14:23.

#2 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:42

The Visi-ink is a Mentmore/Platignum model. It's a well-thought-out patent, very similar to the Auto-Tank that Langs made for National Security. It should repair quite easily. The breather tube probably isn't broken at the bulb end as it was never intended to extend into the bulb. When you reassemble it, ensure that everything is sealed really well so that no air can get in anywhere except through the breather tube. A few squeezes of the new bulb will fill the barrel. I apply silicone grease to the threaded section, as that's the part most likely to draw air.

It does look as though the breather tube may be broken at the section end, in which case it will need to be replaced.

Edited by red52ripple, 07 January 2013 - 15:49.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

#3 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:57

You might find thishelpful, as the design is similar.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

#4 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:06

Thanks Deborah. So (probably a silly question) should the tube connect to the section end somehow? And any ideas where I might find a replacement tube?

#5 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:29

Thanks Deborah. So (probably a silly question) should the tube connect to the section end somehow? And any ideas where I might find a replacement tube?

Yes, I think it should. Your section looks different from what I would expect. I wonder if there's part of it missing. Plastic tubing shouldn't be too hard to come by if we can establish the size needed and how it's fixed.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:37

That's my fear - there's something else gone astray here. But then again what? And I wonder when it went astray - it took great effort to get the section unscrewed, so I don't reckon it had been done for a long, long time. But having said that - nothing could have fallen out the other end.....I fear I may have to chalk this one down to experience....

#7 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:45

Would it be possible to get a well-lit photograph into the inner end of the section? That might give a clue to how the breather tube could be fitted.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

#8 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:49

Here's another couple of shots. The second shows the section from the side with the hole running through what appears for all intents and purposes to be a sac attachment end.....

Then first just shows the solid inside to the section from the rear.

I have the breather tube out. Hard rubber that appears broken at both ends, with what looks like a fairly standard sized channel. The tube is however a snug fit into the bottom of the barrel where the bulb would attach. No clues at all as to how the tube could fix to the section, so the 'something's missing' idea seems the most credible.

Edited by Aysedasi, 07 January 2013 - 19:50.

#9 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:10

I agree. I'll ask around and see if someone more knowledgeable than me can explain how this pen works.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

#10 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:19

Thanks Deborah, much appreciated. :)

#11 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52

Some of these bulb fillers, are as you appear to have and the breather tube is attached to the bulb end of the barrel stopping short of the feed, I've only had a quick glance at this thread but the hole in the side of the section/feed showing, suggests it is of this type. There will be a helical track around the feed whereby air is expelled out and ink drawn in, very dissimilar from the normal breather tube arrangement, and rightly so quite confusing when first seen.
Eric
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)
http://eckiethump.webs.com/
http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#12 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:35

Many thanks, Eric.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

#13 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:46

Apologies - double post

Edited by Aysedasi, 10 January 2013 - 17:49.

#14 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:49

Some of these bulb fillers, are as you appear to have and the breather tube is attached to the bulb end of the barrel stopping short of the feed, I've only had a quick glance at this thread but the hole in the side of the section/feed showing, suggests it is of this type. There will be a helical track around the feed whereby air is expelled out and ink drawn in, very dissimilar from the normal breather tube arrangement, and rightly so quite confusing when first seen.
Eric

Thanks a lot for that Eric. I guess the best thing for me to do is to reassemble, having found a sac large enough to serve as the bulb filler (any ideas on which size I might need - the diameter is 8mm?). I presume I'd best lightly shellac the tube into the bulb end? And then see if it works!

#15 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:20

The tube actually goes back nice and tight into the bottom of the barrel, so I don't think I'll need to actually fix it in place. But I could still do with a spot of advice as to the size of sac I need to use for the bulb filler.....?

#16 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,650 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:44

TBH I cannot exactly recall the size of sac I have used for these bulb filler pens, #20 sounds about right. I do have a tendency to use a larger type sac and as well as shellac, wrap shellac impregnated cotton thread around the sac at the nipple to affix, as I use generally silicon type sacs on these pens and there is a ridge on the nipple the sac will squeeze into where the thread is.
Eric
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

#17 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:36

Thanks again for your help Eric, much appreciated. :)

#18 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 20:03

You have to shellac the end of the sac tight. Other wise by and by it will pop off and squirt ink on the one shirt you can't afford to replace.

Look up sac replacement in repair section.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 12 January 2013 - 20:04.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#19 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:59

TBH I cannot exactly recall the size of sac I have used for these bulb filler pens, #20 sounds about right. I do have a tendency to use a larger type sac and as well as shellac, wrap shellac impregnated cotton thread around the sac at the nipple to affix, as I use generally silicon type sacs on these pens and there is a ridge on the nipple the sac will squeeze into where the thread is.
Eric

You have to shellac the end of the sac tight. Other wise by and by it will pop off and squirt ink on the one shirt you can't afford to replace.

Look up sac replacement in repair section.

Hi Bo Bo, I think I was quite clear in this.
Eric

#20 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Member - Gold

• 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:29

Thanks guys - I'm left in no doubt about the need to fix it securely! :)