#1 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:14

My wife took my very broad hint for Christmas, and bought a bottle of Zhulong Red as a Christmas gift for me. I've been looking for a nice red for use in grading papers and for margin notes, and this looked like it would fit the bill. However, there's been very little mention of it here on FPN so this was definitely taking a small chance.

First impressions - this is a really nice ink. Flow is good, feathering has been non-existent on even cheap paper, and there's virtually no show through on copy paper, Staples bagasse, or Moleskine. The initial color is fairly bright red, and as the ink dries it begins to show some brown tones and darker highlights. I haven't tried any drip tests yet, although there is no claim to water fastness on the box or various web sites.

#2 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:50

I have been using it in a fine nibbed pen and agree with what you have said. In general it is a nice medium red, with decent flow and adequate lubrication.

Edited to add: It also dries fairly quickly, at least from my fine nibbed pen...just finished a journal entry and did not need to wait for it to dry to close the book.

Edited by WOBentley, 04 January 2013 - 19:56.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:40

I've suggested it for grading papers a few times. I just had a Waterman 55 with a flex nib inked up with Zhulong and it worked great and still hardly feathered on cheap paper. The pen was very wet so there was some show through but no bleed through (unlike the previous ink in this pen).