Pilot G2

Dillo

Hi,

I have a few Pilot G2 pens in my pen cup. These are very common in the states.

First, a picture. This is the second pen down:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8342563501_1451dfc97f_b.jpg

Next, for the handwritten review:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8361/8343484790_4a8c391b86_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8498/8343485322_ff3d6ec4bf_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8342427493_924e29f320_b.jpg

Conclusion, it offers not so many advantages over a fountain pen. Carry on and use your fountain pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• ethernautrix

• JohnS-MI

• bphollin

The G2 is still one of my favorite gel pens! Uniball gel pens do write smoother, but I think they are too smooth, like 'out of control' smooth...

Get the G2 in many colors, and mix up the parts... You get an awesome looking G2:)

The G2 is not a fountain pen, but it is the fountain pens of gel pens and rollerballs.

I think it's funny that some people try to hack their G2s to take a Montblanc refill. I try to hack my Montblancs and other rollerballs to take the G2 refill.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

The G2 is not a fountain pen, but it is the fountain pens of gel pens and rollerballs.

I think it's funny that some people try to hack their G2s to take a Montblanc refill. I try to hack my Montblancs and other rollerballs to take the G2 refill.

Yes, indeed, the G2 refill does write much more nicely in my experience. There is actually a spring in the tip of the G2 refill that pushes the ball to seal the tip when the pen isn't being used to prevent dryout. Pilot did a good job at making that tiny spring just the right tension so you don't need to use too much pressure to write with the Pilot G2.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

+1. After trying the MB rollerball refill in a few pens I was surprised how well the G2 performs. I do prefer some of the FP-ink rollerballs..but barring those it's the Schmidt 888 and G2 for me.

Cheers,

NM

I can't see why you would put a MonteBlanc refill in one of these, quite the opposite.

I like these as well, my only problem, when I drop them they ALWAYS land tip first, and then it's a done deal. (yes I know, same problem with fountain pens!)

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I prefer the Zebra Sarasa Clip and Uni Signo DX and RTs to the G2, but, yeah, just use fountain pens. :thumbup:

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I, too, prefer the G2 over other roller-ball refills. I use them in capped roller pens like the Sheaffer Balance II (have to trim the refill a bit) and the recent production Conklin rollers like the Nozac and Duragraph. I always keep one of these pens handy in my office in case someone needs to "borrow" a pen to sign a document, or if I need a pen to write on papers that are not FP-friendly.

I didn't realize that there was a spring that closed the tip of the G2 refill. Thanks, Dillo, for the insight.

I prefer the Zebra Sarasa Clip and Uni Signo DX and RTs to the G2, but, yeah, just use fountain pens. :thumbup:

The Sarasa is excellent. I have one as you can see from my picture. It's very smooth. I also have a lifetime supply of refills for it. (well sort of)

Dillon

Dillon

Several Rotring rollerballs take G-2 refills, good pen to have in a drawer or on a desk that you don't have to worry about drying out like a fountain pen

I also think the G2 works better than a Mont Blanc refill. However, I buy my G2s from Costco in a large pack, and the whole pen is (considerably) cheaper than buying a G2 refill anywhere else. I'd prefer to just buy refills and minimize plastic waste, but I'm not willing to pay a large premium. (Since you like black, you'd like the Costco 15 pack, 10 black, 3 blue, 2 red for about $8.)

The G2 does amazingly well in some circumstances where fountain pens do poorly.

(Since you like black, you'd like the Costco 15 pack, 10 black, 3 blue, 2 red for about $8.)

I think I deplete a gel refill about every... um, have I ever? Hold on. Once. I did once, about four years ago. :-)

While I do love that bargain, I wouldn't want to keep all those refills around, languishing, maybe even evaporating (would that happen?) over the many years. I appreciate the suggestion, JohnS; thank you!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'm pretty sure gel refills have a limited lifespan, so it don't think it would be a good idea to keep them around.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Dillon

G2s fit well in the Waterman LeMan rollerball. It's nice to have a refill for these readily available in various widths, and I prefer the gel ink to the regular ink in the Waterman refills.

I use a G2 refill in my Lamy 2000 and it writes beautifully!

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

I have several hand made pens that were made specifically to use the Pilot G2 refills. I have

had more than my share of problems with the Parker Gel Refills, hard to start writing and then they

run out of ink at the most inopportune moment. My first choice is always a FP but when I need to use a pen for signing

thru multiple pages (copies) at once I revert to my G2 refilled pens they have never let me down. As with everything else this is just my humble opinion.

Edited by Merrib

I like the G-2 in a broad point the 1MM vs. the 5 and 7, they only come in a few colors and they're hard to find as Pilot itself was out of the black refill. The Pilot V7 RT and V-Ball grip are nice by Pilot also. I'm waiting on G-2 for my Pilot Metropolitan Gold Dot Gel pen, the G-2 that came with it was so-so at best.

(Since you like black, you'd like the Costco 15 pack, 10 black, 3 blue, 2 red for about $8.)

I think I deplete a gel refill about every... um, have I ever? Hold on. Once. I did once, about four years ago. :-)

While I do love that bargain, I wouldn't want to keep all those refills around, languishing, maybe even evaporating (would that happen?) over the many years. I appreciate the suggestion, JohnS; thank you!

I'm pretty sure gel refills have a limited lifespan, so it don't think it would be a good idea to keep them around.

Dillon

I buy the 15 packs and haven't had any problem. The unused pens may be sealed in some fashion, as they don't seem to dry out. Once a pen is "started," if it is then set aside and forgotten, it may be dry. Even so, if you "squiggle" on scrap paper, once it restarts, it is fine. Can't comment on other brands but this seems a minimal or non-existent problem for G2s. I lose them, loan them out to people, etc. One of these 15 packs last my wife and I 2-3 years.

If I needed a G2 refill for something else, I would dismantle one of the pens from the pack and steal its ink. The pens in the pack are less than $0.60 apiece, and the over-priced refills are over a buck everywhere I've seen them.