New Starwalker From Costco

striker27

My wife is quite a Costco shopper and managed to pick this up for me from Costco for the holidays.

Not really too sure how legit they are but it is a nice pen. I have not really tried to authenticate it as of yet. But Costco has been selling a lot of higher end stuff at the store lately so who knows.

Well here are some pics...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/striker27/P1026615_zpse831d069.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/striker27/P1026614_zps6404973b.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/striker27/P1026613_zpsc9982beb.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/striker27/P1026612_zpse0616d46.jpg

Tell me what you think? The pen sold for $199.99 cdn

THANKS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• striker27

• meiers

• Pentulant

That is not an authentic Montblanc Starwalker. It is a Chinese copy. That serial number on the clip is well known as not being an authentic MB serial number.

I don't know if your Costco is the same as ours in the UK, but they would definitely not be allowed to sell a counterfeit designer branded item here.

Edited by Chrissy

Can't imagine Costo (a national chain store) selling fakes. I don't experience with a Starwalker.

That is not an authentic Montblanc Starwalker. It is a Chinese copy. That serial number on the clip is well known as not being an authentic MB serial number.

I don't know if your Costco is the same as ours in the UK, but they would definitely not be allowed to sell a counterfeit designer branded item here.

Yikes! :yikes: Can you bring the pen to MB to have it validated as a fake? I'd return the pen, get your money back and then raise it with BOTH Costco and MB; the former is not supposed to sell fake merchandise and the latter would be very interested in finding out that their fakes are being sold at the former...

I can't comment on the serial number being a well known fake number as I can't clearly see it.

I've checked my 3 Starwalkers (same range as yours), although I have the FP, MP BP I do not have the FL/RB none of my pens (all bought from authentic MB boutiques) none of my pens have a serial number. The pen does look of a good quality to me though as most fakes are poor when comparing to the genuine article.

How much did you pay for this pen? If the price was too good to be true, then it probably is a fake. MB would not let someone sell the pen below the MRRP.

What text is written on the underside of the clip? All 3 of mine have "Germany", "metal" and "Pix" written. If yours have something different this would make me question the pen.

The best advise though is to take it to an official MB boutique and they will be able to confirm one way or another.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I can't comment on the serial number being a well known fake number as I can't clearly see it.

I've checked my 3 Starwalkers (same range as yours), although I have the FP, MP BP I do not have the FL/RB none of my pens (all bought from authentic MB boutiques) none of my pens have a serial number. The pen does look of a good quality to me though as most fakes are poor when comparing to the genuine article.

How much did you pay for this pen? If the price was too good to be true, then it probably is a fake. MB would not let someone sell the pen below the MRRP.

What text is written on the underside of the clip? All 3 of mine have "Germany", "metal" and "Pix" written. If yours have something different this would make me question the pen.

The best advise though is to take it to an official MB boutique and they will be able to confirm one way or another.

I must be going blind. I just double checked my pens for serial numbers, they do all have them.

The FP which was bought in December 2012 and the MP which was bought maybe in 2006 have the serial number of the band which contains the word "Montblanc" and not on the clip like the one in the picture.

I bought my BP when the Starwalkers were first released (not sure when 2002-04 maybe) has the serial number on the clip like that shown in the picture.

I wonder therefore if the serial number was removed from the clip as the clip can be replaced should it break???

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Hi Brandon

If you click on the last picture to increase it's size, you can clearly see the serial number: a) it's on the clip and that isn't standard as it should be on the clip band, and b)it starts with NDL. It's not authentic

I would also take it back to Costco asap. Either Costco sold it not knowing it was a fake, or someone bought one, switched pens and then returned it.

Edited by Chrissy

Yikes! :yikes: Can you bring the pen to MB to have it validated as a fake? I'd return the pen, get your money back and then raise it with BOTH Costco and MB; the former is not supposed to sell fake merchandise and the latter would be very interested in finding out that their fakes are being sold at the former...

You would only need to send Montblanc those pictures and they will be able to confirm it's authenticity or lack of it. If it was me, I would just turn the last picture the other way up so that the serial number can clearly be read.

These pictures from fountainpen.de clearly show the differences between the authentic version and the copy.

Thank you fountainpen.de for these detailed pictures that are a great help.

Interestingly, striker27's box looks like it has an authentic Mb trademark snowcap symbol.

Edited by Chrissy

That's terrible! I quickly glanced at the pen at my local Costco in Winnipeg... Not even considering it might be fake.

Edited by meiers

Here is the serial number of the pen NDL 33966L. I find it strange that Costco would sell a fake to be honest...

So do I. However, as Montblanc will confirm to you, it is.

Here is the serial number of the pen NDL 33966L. I find it strange that Costco would sell a fake to be honest...

That serial number has been around on fakes since 2008, do a search on this forum for that serial number and you will see previous posts that reference it.

Edited by Soulmaker1

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

I find it baffling that counterfeiters will go to such lengths to mimic originals - then use the same stupid serial number over and over again!

If it's an undeniable fake (which previous posters seem to verify) then I'd skip the MB verification and take it straight back to Costco.

Could check out the other serial numbers while you're there?

Worrying that such big names are getting embroiled in this shady side of the market. Fingers crossed that it's an accidental blip.

Good luck.

(Someone, somewhere, probably has the original NDL33966L. Imagine how they feel!)

Costco is a Big Box store and Montblanc would be very interested to know they are selling fake MBs.