My Fountain Pen Tumbler

maryannemoll

I find that it's easier to keep and carry my daily-use pens this way. The tumbler is purely transparent, very sturdy. It has double walls, because it's made for hot drinks). The pens are always nib up, limiting bleed-outs that happen with pens that are banged around inside a purse or a pen case. I can always see if the pens are complete.

post-2512-0-71088200-1357024645.jpg

post-2512-0-68373600-1357024661.jpg

post-2512-0-82739300-1357024631.jpg

Also, when I get to the house or the office, I just take the lid off, and I get an instant pen cup! No more transferring of pens onto desk holders, ergo, no more forgotten pens.

Inside are the following:

- A yellow Lamy Safari (currently empty, awaiting an orange ink that I haven't decided on yet. Diamine Pumpkin, perhaps?)

- a red Lamy Safari (currently empty, awaiting my decision whether to still use Antietam in it again)

- an apple green Lamy Safari (currently empty, awaiting the Diamine Kelly Green)

- a white Lamy Safari (currently filled with Waterman South Seas Blue, but almost empty, to be filled next with the incoming Diamine Graphite)

- a glossy black Lamy Safari ( currently filled with Noodler's Zhivago)

- a Lamy Safari Vista (currently filled with Visconti burgundy)

- a Pelikan Grand Place filled with Omas Sepia

- a Pelikan White Tortoise M400 filled with J. Herbin Vert Reseda

- a Pilot Vanishing Point chrome finish filled with Aurora blue

- a Taccia Ta-Ke bamboo currently filled with Waterman South Seas Blue, but I might retire the pen soon, so I am in the market for the original packaging for it, since it was just handed to me by a friend, who I am no longer in touch with

- a Parker Sonnet twist ballpoint pen in marble finish that I've had for years and years

- an all-white Faber Castell mechanical pencil

- an eraser pen

And all are safe and intact in the tumbler. In my daily go-bag, the tumbler also sits perfectly upright beside my cable-and-small gadgets bag.

post-2512-0-37186000-1357024676.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maryannemoll

• 51ISH

• dickydotcom

• Brian C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Each to their own.

I see it as a recipe to scratches with so much metal agains plastic.

I carry my pens in pouches, usually two two pen pouches and maybe one single in my messenger bag.

That goes in the top box on my motorbike. The journey varies, but often 30 miles.

So far no leaks. An that's over a couple of decades and a couple of hundred, thousand miles. (one bike alone did 100,000 in 3 years)

For me those Pelikans are far too precious to risk banging agains each other.

Dick D

Oh, shoot. Thanks for reminding me. The Pelikans are now in their individual Pelikan leather pen cases, and they both still fit in the tumbler. Whew!

Checked them for scratches and so far found none yet. (or none that my eyes could see.)

Edited by maryannemoll

There are some inexpensive, felt sleeves that would prevent "pen cup rattel".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I started carrying mine in a glasses case, it fits 3-4, which for the moment is fine with me. I fill the extra space with a tiny piece of a sponge. :)

I was thinking of other non-traditional ways to transport them, and this one seems really cool!

I will not be too worried about scratches, I don't imagine they get jostled around that much, besides with that many pens inside, the probably do not move a lot! Nice idea!

Hmmmm :hmm1: I clip mine to my shirt. I sometimes feel like the odd man out here.

Oh, don't be. It's just that some of us are such trollops for fountain pens and inks. :rolleyes:

I started carrying mine in a glasses case, it fits 3-4, which for the moment is fine with me. I fill the extra space with a tiny piece of a sponge. :)

I was thinking of other non-traditional ways to transport them, and this one seems really cool!

I will not be too worried about scratches, I don't imagine they get jostled around that much, besides with that many pens inside, the probably do not move a lot! Nice idea!

I've actually been looking around my drawer of random small stuff to find a thin and long roll of sponge, or some scraps of felt cloth that I can roll up to limit the rattle, but for now, the two leather Pelikan cases pretty much do the job already.

Edited by maryannemoll

Certainly beats leaving them scattered hither and yon.

I recently received a pen wrap from EXB pens. It's very handy and I can fit six pens in it. It is also beautiful.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Each to their own.

I carry my pens in pouches, usually two two pen pouches and maybe one single in my messenger bag.

That goes in the top box on my motorbike. The journey varies, but often 30 miles.

So far no leaks. An that's over a couple of decades and a couple of hundred, thousand miles. (one bike alone did 100,000 in 3 years)

Dick D

Dick D ....you average 33,000 miles a year in the UK on a motorbike....hats off to you Sir.....can I ask was it a BM ...

a Pan European.....just curious.... :thumbup:

Each to their own.

Dick D

Dick D ....you average 33,000 miles a year in the UK on a motorbike....hats off to you Sir.....can I ask was it a BM ...

None of the above. I did have a Kawasaki ZZR 1200 which was a bit of beast, but when I retired from the police in 2005 and changed sides to defending people I joined an agency on the other side of London. I found the ZZR a bit tiring in London traffice so I bought a Honda Deauville 650. That's the one that clocked up 100,000 in three years. I was also doing about 7,000 a year on the ZZR. I then decided I would stop the agency work and now work much more locally as a free agent and I now run a Honda CBF1000GT which is a nice compromise between the two. But I am hankering after another Kawasaki, a GTR1400, but I need to get my holiday out of the way before I make any more changes.

Dick D

Each to their own.

Dick D

None of the above. I did have a Kawasaki ZZR 1200 which was a bit of beast, but when I retired from the police in 2005 and changed sides to defending people I joined an agency on the other side of London. I found the ZZR a bit tiring in London traffice so I bought a Honda Deauville 650. That's the one that clocked up 100,000 in three years. I was also doing about 7,000 a year on the ZZR. I then decided I would stop the agency work and now work much more locally as a free agent and I now run a Honda CBF1000GT which is a nice compromise between the two. But I am hankering after another Kawasaki, a GTR1400, but I need to get my holiday out of the way before I make any more changes.

Dick D

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

A classic case of having the right tool for the job maybe ???

Maryanne, I LOVE this idea!!! Like you, I put my more valuable pens in separate leather cases, but this tumbler enables you to see what you've brought to work that day! Funny how it's never enough to bring one or two... :thumbup:

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood