Stipula Gladiator (.9 Italic)

ModiHammarstedt

Stipula, although having a very short history in the 'industry' of making pens have quickly jumped to the higher ranks, even among the Italians. There's a reason the Stipula Passaporto is used as an FPN Limited Edition, because it is an extremely well made, versatile, elegant pen. Now this review is not on the Passaporto, but on another pen. The Gladiator. Which for some reason I cannot find a single review of it on here, so I guess I am the first!

History

http://i.imgur.com/AdxAv.jpg

The company Stipula at first was never a company for producing pens, but rather, it was a company that produces silver and gold accessories, it also didn't carry the name Stipula when it was founded in 1973 by Renzo Salvadori. A few years later, around 1977, it began producing accessories for desks, and following that in 1982 began producing pens. Still the name Stipula was not trademarked, that came later in 1991 when the company we know today as Stipula finally came to be, and started producing pens such as the Model T, Passaporto, and Etruria.

http://i.imgur.com/evbWV.jpg

The Gladiator contains many motifs of gladiators and the time and place in which they fought, the clip is a representation of The Gladius, a short sword used in fights, the bottom of the pen contains studs that represent the studs on a shield, the top of the cap portrays a trident, a net, and a helmet. They may have the same connection, but in reality these were two different types of warriors. The quick, agile warrior used the net and trident to stop his foe, while the skilled swordsman danced around his opponent quickly jabbing with his sword and blocking with his shield. All of these took place in the Colosseum which is represented by the band in the middle of the pen, both sides, enemy against enemy, all coming towards the center.

http://i.imgur.com/sxt8k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NtpOS.jpg

First Impressions: 8/10

http://i.imgur.com/0kCNY.jpg

It is all contained in a very simple, unassuming, red, faux leather box with the word Stipula in gold lettering strewn across the top of it. As I opened the box I was quite astonished by the size of the cap of the pen, it is quite a magnificent piece of work. The blue was very dark and rich as I took it out of its place and it went very well with the matte gold trim. I was very impressed by first looking upon the pen and knew that this pen was something to be excited for.

Design: 8/10

It would easily be a 10/10 if it wasn't so, impractical, the cap although magnificent, and a work of art, is just too big and bulky. It's a shame because the detailing on the Colosseum is exquisite and extremely well done, the cap is fantastically detailed and, like I said it's a work of art. The resin is very nice to the touch, cool on contact but not ice cold, and the dark blue color is just amazing paired with the matte gold finish. The bottom portion of the pen is a cigar style but the top is almost like a nail head, exhibited mainly by Graff von Faber-Castell and goes well, almost juxtaposing the style on the bottom half.

http://i.imgur.com/VFaSn.jpg

Which again references the inner battle between the skilled swordsman and agile warrior with the net, two opposites joining as one. It's not a gaudy pen either, yes it's a bit showy but when writing if the cap is taken off it's a very handsome pen, very understated and very, very usable. The only problem is the cap is just, so big. Ingrained in the resin are the words Stipula Gladiator Firenze Made in Italy.

http://i.imgur.com/Rgy6R.jpg

Weight and Dimensions: 8/10

Would have been a perfect 10 if it wasn't for the size of the cap sadly, the top is just too big and out of proportion with the rest of the pen for practical use.

Cap (top) diameter: 17mm

Cap (middle) diameter: 13mm

Cap (bottom) diameter: 16mm

Body (grip) diameter: 11mm

Body (middle) diameter: 14mm

Body (bottom) diameter: 10mm

Body length: 130mm

Cap length: 64mm

Body (with cap) length: 143mm

Body mass : 13g

Cap mass : 17g

Body (with cap) mass: 30g

It's an extremely comfortable pen to use and my hand has yet to get tired from using it, even after a good 3 hour stint from writing. It doesn't slide about in my hand from writing as my sweat does not make the grip slippery, in fact this pen is extremely well weighted. Except of course if one were to post the massive cap, which in turn make the center of balance of the pen in the cap, so it will be physically impossible to hold comfortably with the cap posted, so don't. It also looks ridiculous when it's posted.

Nib: 13/15

http://i.imgur.com/F5vIB.jpg

Every time I look at it, I keep falling more and more in love with it. At first when I saw it, I thought it looked pretty nice, but the one toned nib just didn't seem to suit me, but after awhile the elegance and simplicity of the single toned nib was wonderful. The leaves so meticulously put into place, with Stipula written across the top, I'm in love.

http://i.imgur.com/EHWzN.jpg

Now for the way it writes, the good part. It writes extremely well, very smooth with just a hint of scratchy feedback, almost like a Parker 51 or Parker 21 Super, just so that it tells you that you're writing with a pen. Even across the best paper I own (Leuchtterm1917) to the cheap loose leaf wide ruled paper I used in Elementary School, it performs magnificently on both of them and it is a dream to write with! I flushed the nib out after I got it with detergent and warm water and it worked wonders, I do not know why I have not done this with pens in the past, it would have spared a lot of heart ache.

http://i.imgur.com/B1h2a.jpg

There are 3 or 4 different nib sizes, I do not know really because there is a confusion between the 1.1mm italic and the 0.9mm italic. The nib I own measure to be 0.9mm, but Stipula claims it as a 1.1mm, either way there is an italic size, it also comes in fine and medium. The nibs are gold plated steel, although a 14k nib, 18k nib, and a 'T-Flex' titanium nib can be obtained in those sizes as well. I have the gold plated steel version and it works magically. In comparison to other nibs this one is not too big, it is not as big as a Pelikan M1000 or a Montblanc 149, but it is quite a sizable nib.

http://i.imgur.com/1Hftg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lEfuu.jpg

Filling and Maintenance 7/10

The one thing I wish this pen could've done differently is not be a C/C filler. It's a shame because the Stipula Vedo is a piston filler, and comes at a lower price than this pen. Is it a shame? Yes it is but that won't detract away from the fact that this pen gets the job done. Sure it may be a C/C filler but the ink capacity is bigger than of my other pens which are C/C so I give it props to that, and the converter itself is very well made. Yes it's made out of plastic but it's not cheap and flimsy plastic, it's easy to use, and it fills full almost every time I use it. Could they have done better? Yes, but it's not that big of a deal, and if this is a deal breaker than that's a shame.

http://i.imgur.com/apKkt.jpg

Value 10/10

http://i.imgur.com/tXtnK.jpg

Note how it is not, cost and value, but rather just the value of the pen. There is a reason certain pens are worth the amount of money they are, that is the value. Value is bigger than the dollar signs. This is where the Gladiator shines as it is a wonderful value for the money that it is worth ($195 is you must know). The amount of gold that is on this pen is astounding and not only that, the immense amount of detail that went into this pen just puts it over the top, the resin is extremely durable and over all it's very well made and a very, very nice pen to be had. Not only that but when it's sitting in a pen case, peoples eye's will be drawn to it since of its imposing cap, so it's a conversation starter and perhaps a way to branch out to people and make the fountain pen users.

Final tally: 83.67% B+

First Impressions: 8/10 (10%) - 8%

Design: 8/10 (20%) - 16%

Weight and Dimensions: 8/10 (10%) - 8%

Nib: 13/15 (40%) - 34.67%

Filling and Maintenance: 7/10 (10%) - 7%

Value: 10/10 (10%) - 10%

A: 100-89

A-: 88-84

B+: 83-77

B: 76-70

B-: 69-65

C+: 64-60

C: 59-55

C-: 54-51

F: 50-0

Edited by ModiHammarstedt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ModiHammarstedt

• His Nibs

• watvolk

• da vinci

Thanks for the review.

I am wondering what series of Stipula models does this pen belong to ?

Also, in other pics on the Internet, there seems to be quite a significant 'shoulder' on the pen - the part where the barrel starts after the screw thread for the cap.

What's your writing experience with this?

Does it get in the way of your grip?

The nib - is it an 18K nib?

Attractive price I must say.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Thanks for the review.

I am wondering what series of Stipula models does this pen belong to ?

Also, in other pics on the Internet, there seems to be quite a significant 'shoulder' on the pen - the part where the barrel starts after the screw thread for the cap.

What's your writing experience with this?

Does it get in the way of your grip?

The nib - is it an 18K nib?

Attractive price I must say.

I do not know what series this belongs to sadly, the shoulder does not bother me at all and it is very comfortable to write with.

An 18k nib is available if you order an 18k nib from Stipula, or else it comes with a gold plated steel nib I believe. I have the gold plated steel nib.

very nice review of a very nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for the review and the history of Stipula. Your photos are amazing! It is a beautiful pen. Motivates me to get out my Etruria and fill it up. By the way, what ink did you use?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for the review and the history of Stipula. Your photos are amazing! It is a beautiful pen. Motivates me to get out my Etruria and fill it up. By the way, what ink did you use?

Black Swan in Australian Roses, such a good ink :notworthy1:

That's a wonderful, thorough review Modi -- with terrific photographs!

I've been using the Gladiator, with various nibs, since I started carrying it several months ago. It's become a regular pen in my personal rotation, as well as being very well received by my customers. I thought I'd add a photo of the three colors available:

http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Stipula/Gladiator/StipulaGladiatorGroupRandom.jpg

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

This pen should have been nominated for the pen of the year award through Goldspot pens. It's a well designed, fairly price entry level pen that easily beat any other similar offerings from competing brands at its price point.

Nice review, thanks for sharing. I saw this pen a few months back but went for the Stipula Etruria Rainbow instead. That stub looks super awesome though... Don't know how I feel about celebrating bloodsport between slaves, but it is a nice pen for a fair price. Nib options are excellent. Companies like Stipula embracing steel and titanium nibs keeps prices down and performance very high.

I got my Gladiator from Austria 3 days ago and I am happy with it.

First impression has not been fine because of the light weight, pen seemed to be made of cheap plastic. But after the first writing tests I am happy with it. Nib is signed as 1.1 but writes like 0.9 as Modo already told us.

post-92183-0-35556700-1357815603.jpg

post-92183-0-00587700-1357815615.jpg

post-92183-0-82720700-1357815624.jpg

post-92183-0-17757300-1357815636.jpg

it's wonderful,i look at this pen this evening thinking it will be good to have a review on it and i fond it.;)

thanks a lot

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Fantastic review. I love your grading system

Thank you for the kind words! It actually took a long while to figure out, because while the High School grading system is most common, it doesn't really work with pens that well really I thought! So I just did my own that weighted certain things on the pen more, and when one of the main parts of the pen scored poorly, the rest of the pen did!

So something like filling, or cost won't detriment the entire score of the pen! Rather a poor nib or poor design will help or detriment it more!

I think it works quite well!

• 3 months later...

Definitely going to give this pen a much closer look.

Excellent review, btw.

I would have to test the different nibs - 1.1/0.9 italic versus a fine. I can be very fickle when it comes to those two nibs. The only thing I can be sure about is I really don't enjoy medium or broad. Just not that kind of writer.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 3 years later...

What an astoundingly thorough review! Beautiful photos, detailed descriptions, just wonderful. But, pens are highly individual things, like extensions of one's hand. I saw the Stipula Gladiator, basically at half-price everywhere. I love Stipula and the Gladiator looked quite nice. But why on sale? I bought it and have been trying it out for a few days. I ordered the italic nib. I can't say what size it is, but it writes like a medium. My first impression was that the decorations - the Colosseum, sword, etc. - looked really cheesy, as if they were stamped out of plastic. I also found that when I posted the cap, the pen felt very unbalanced, too heavily weighted at the back end. And heavy. Since I use fountain pens all day long, the Gladiator is not one that I would rely on, not an everyday pen. The weight made my hand tire very quickly. Disappointing, because I like the way the italic nib writes.