14 replies to this topic

#1 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:11

I have often heard that Esterbrooks are "like chips," in that you can't have just one.

Bah, I wish. I have three of the things and have yet to find one I really like. Will likely sell them all and I've stopped looking for them.

But Pelikans? These birds flock, and they just keep inviting more! I started with a little M200 from Greg Muniskin, super cheap. (How was I to know what that $25 would lead to???) Darn little enabling pen. That led to trolling eBay and buying an antique 140 green stripe with a flexible nib. THOSE TWO invited home a gorgeous tortoise shell 400NN with a flexible nib. Now I'm thinking that the red one sure is pretty, and wouldn't a BLUE pelikan be nice to have, just to round things out you understand?

So they accumulate like a sweet, adorable, don't-you-dare-try-to-take-them-away, flock. But unlike Esties that I could get cheap for a few bucks, restore and play with... Well, these birds aren't cheap! Le sigh. I'm doomed. At least there's a whole forum of folks here that look equally doomed.

Hi, I'm Jo, and I'm going to be "that crazy Pelikan lady."

#2 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:43

Yeah, Pels are like that, and Lamy Safari/Al-stars, Sailor 1911s, Montblanc writer's series pens..... Pels are still cheaper than Montblancs;)

#3 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:25

Welcome to the club! Pelikans are truly wonderful pens which (like Esterbrook) have a distinct advantage over most pens: easily interchangeable nibs. No only that, but you can interchange nibs from pens made 60 years ago which makes it possible to use a vintage nib on a modern pen or a brand new nib on a vintage pen... It all depends on what you want to try out at any given time. Unfortunately I can't do that with my Montblanc 146. :crybaby:

Pelikans aren't inexpensive like Esterbrooks or Lamy Safaris, but if you are patient, you can get some very nice vintage pens for reasonable prices from other FPN members.

And just wait until you try out a vintage B nib... :cloud9:

#4 kalali

kalali

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:39

An M200 for $25? Where?

#5 suexilin

suexilin

Fascinated

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:44

I wish I could find a M200 for $25...

Here they are sold for $195, and through slightly grayer channels - read no warranty- for $72 at the lowest.

Sigh.

Esterbrooks are non-existant. Though I found one on a shopping site, for about $150, but decided to pass.

(prices are converted from CNY)

#6 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:45

Keep your eyes peeled on Greg Muniskin's website. He had this one randomly on offer. With shipping was just over $30. You have to snap his stuff up FAST cause it sells in minutes but worth being vigilant! I believe all his pens are used pens he's rehabbed and tuned the nibs.

Here M200s go for around $100 from nibs.com (that's with a Binderized stock steel nib). You can still get them off Amazon for around $80 I'm told.

Edited by tandaina, 29 December 2012 - 16:46.

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:41

The prices some folks ask with 'buy now' is astounding.

PT Barnum has come back to life, there is a sucker born every minute....who don't know how to look up past auctions.

They are starting Geha School pens at €19, getting 35-45 last year 12 was pretty high as an end price. I think I just saw one with a start price of €70. :headsmack:

Prices asked are now double or triple of what pens went for, in that some folks will pay too much...now we all have to.

Doesn't any one know how to look up past auctions?

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#8 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:50

Ebay has made it MUCH harder to look up past auctions than in the past. I used to do it all the time, was a simple search filter on the left hand side. Not any more, I think you must use advanced search now.

#9 peterpen53

peterpen53

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:05

Ebay has made it MUCH harder to look up past auctions than in the past. I used to do it all the time, was a simple search filter on the left hand side. Not any more, I think you must use advanced search now.

Last time I looked they still had "Completed listings" in the left panel. Maybe you need to extend it a bit.

Anyway, don't put those Pelikans too close to each other. They may breed....Posted Image
May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

#10 whych

whych

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:42

Unfortunately, Ebay have changed their past listings to the last 15 days, so unless you check regularly, you don't get a longer trend in sales.
In the last month some sort of madness has struck on ebay.de with mediocre pens going for double what they would have got 2 months ago.

The nice thing with Pelikan is the easily interchangeable nib so you can always get a replacement nib at a reasonable price. Something you can't do with MB and only a few Parkers. If you do find an MB nib, it is probably cheaper to buy the whole pen!

Plus, the M200/400 cap will fit the old 120 and 140!
Theoretically, as long as the body is good, you can get the rest to work.

There isn't much that can go wrong on the Pelikan so as long as the body is fine (and cap if you want original) you can replace or fix the rest.
As Tandaina says, you can still get good deals out there if you are patient and keep your eyes peeled!

#11 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:42

...Here M200s go for around $100 from nibs.com (that's with a Binderized stock steel nib). You can still get them off Amazon for around $80 I'm told.

Please pardon the liberty, but I'm sure you meant that Richard Binder sells Pelikans at Richardspens.com. Nibs.com is a great seller, too. And indeed there are many options for new M200s. The used ones seem to hold their value fairly well, except for the odd amazing $25 bargain. :)

#12 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:06

Woops, yes that one I'm blaming on the cold medicine!

#13 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:42

Pelikans reproduce themselves if left in dark places. That's what I tell my wife, anyway.
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.

#14 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:44

I wish they would. Imagine little baby Pelikan M200s growing up to big special editions with gold bills, err nibs. ;)

#15 johnmetta

johnmetta

Builder of the digital, lover of the analog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58

Hi, I'm Jo, and I'm going to be "that crazy Pelikan lady."

I know what you mean! I think I may be destined to be a "crazy Pelikan guy."