Edison Mina In Midnight Acrylic

tandaina

I got two pens for Christmas, this is my first. (No scanner so the writing samples are not what they could be. I apologize.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8075/8315854820_51c28b0abb.jpg

IMG_0451 by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

The first pen is a custom from Brian Gray of Edison Pens (not related, just wish I was, I'm assuming relatives get discounts). ;-)

I have to give huge props to Brian. I've wanted one of his pens for quite a while, but frankly didn't feel right spending that kind of money on myself. So here's how it went around Thanksgiving. I emailed Brian with a rough idea. Very rough. Over the course of back and forth email conversations I realized what I really wanted was a pen that reminded me of the Milky Way, something I grew up seeing, but no longer can due to light pollution.

Brian immediately sent me images of one of his acrylics that he thought would be perfect. I loved it. We also settled on the Mina for my small hands and desire for something with very simple clean lines. Finally he asked me questions about how I wanted the nib tuned (steel/gold, how smooth, how wet, thickness, etc.) I then told my husband about Brian and gave him Brian's email address. My husband knows nothing about fountain pens, so Brian must have made the whole process incredibly easy because there was a beautiful red box under the tree!

My only beef, Brian? This pen is impossible to photograph! :P The reflects light like crazy, it just has to be seen and touched to be appreciated, and umm, my house is REALLY dusty. ;)

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/Other/Pens/i-F7jNPvL/0/XL/DSC04517-XL.jpg

The Fine nib. Brian rates it as a 7/10 for wetness and it is smooth with just a hint of feedback. Exactly what I asked for. Apparently the Kom-peki ink I got for Christmas as well finds the nib irresistible. I rather like it all covered in that pretty blue.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/Other/Pens/i-PRP5jxB/0/XL/DSC04532-XL.jpg

A poor attempt to capture the pen itself. The lines are beautiful, and the material really is like looking up at a night sky. The depth is amazing. It really isn't done justice by the photos, but they were the best I got even with a good flash and macro lens. I think I'd need a nice soft light box to do better.

Use:

The pen is light and easy in the hand. The section is very comfortable to hold and frankly the way she lays in my hand naturally you hardly know the pen is there. Because of the shape of the body this pen won't post, but I like it that way. I really can't stress enough how lovely this pen feels in the hand. In fact I find myself just holding it (capped!), spinning it between my fingers, running my hands over it. It just feels lovely and solid and yet oh so light.

Value:

Top notch. In some ways this is my simplest pen. It has the least adornment and parts and just plain do dads. But the craftsmanship is amazing, the experience of working with Brian was great. I'd do this again in a heart beat.

I have a three pen holder that goes with me everywhere. It is where my three favorite pens live. This one immediately bumped one of my previous favorites and I don't see it leaving any time soon at ALL. For me this is a poor gal's Nakaya, in that it fills that zen simplicity niche in my pen case.

Thanks Brian, and thanks to my dear husband!

Edit: Duh, Yes Brian Gray of Anderson Pens. :P Too many names for my poor sick brain. ;)

Edited by tandaina

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tandaina

• jandrese

• XiaoMG

• penultress

Brian Gray is Edison Pens

Brian Anderson is Anderson pens and he does sell the production line Edison pens

As does Brian Goulet

There are just too many Brians selling pens to keep track of. :roflmho:

Edited by MadAmos

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

<snip> what I really wanted was a pen that reminded me of the Milky Way <snip>

What a great evocation, if you will, for your pen!

Congratulations on acquiring an Edison Mina. I have a Mina, along with a Huron. Three years ago my very first custom pen was the Huron. I love these pens! Nothing poor gal about any of 'em. happyberet.gif Simplicity and perfection. The Mina is a great pen to think with, too.

Cheers,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

A lovely and charming pen. I'll bet you had stars in your eyes when you saw your milky way.

Great job Brian, Tandania and hats off to your husband.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Not a style that ever appealed to me, but I've got several of Brian's pens so I know how much you must like it. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

I got a Beaumont from Brian in midnight and really liked the depth but the black swirls in the material irritated me for some reason. I sent it back, though I wonder how wise that decision was.

The Mina looks nice in the material. Glad you're happy with it!

Robert.

Brian Gray is Edison Pens

Brian Anderson is Anderson pens and he does sell the production line Edison pens

As does Brian Goulet

There are just too many Brians selling pens to keep track of. :roflmho:

Makes my "brian" hurt...:roflmho:

Love the pen. I am looking to buy a Mina this year.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I'm sure the blanks very. Mine really doesn't have black swirls. There is ONE line of solid black that goes through one of the "clouds," but that's about it.

I may look into having a gold nib that's had added flex and stubbiness done to it added in the future. This is my only daily writer that ISN'T an antique semi-flex nib and... Well I'm just having a little trouble using it with my hand writing. An interesting dilema and not one I expected! But I love the pen. Even if all the Brians around here are enough to turn your head around!

Thank you for this wonderful review. I enjoyed a lot. I have tried one Edison pen so far (the Premiere) both with a steel and 18k nib, and I liked it, but not enough to keep it. However, I do recognize that Edison is making very good pens, and yours is no exception.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

• 2 months later...

Your pen is beautiful! I love the shape of the Mina :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!