Pelikan M200 Special Edition: Clear Demonstrator

Miadhawk

I've had this pen for a little over a month now, and I've had Pelikans for a couple years as well. My first Pelikan was a black M200 with a F nib, followed by an M600 White Tortoise with an F nib. These were both prior to my introduction to flex and italic nibs, which both fascinated me and irritated me, given most brands don't sell italics, and the only option is to get work done by a nibmeister. I purchased this nib with the Pelikan steel italic nib found on M200 pens. Which in short, was a disaster, poor flow, would stop writing in the middle of a session, and the italic itself was more of a stub. It has since been replaced by a Binderized 1.1mm left italic nib, its a great pen, used daily now.

Appearance and Design: 9/10

I have always appreciated the way Pelikan incorporated an ink window to their pens, the black M200's window was invisible when the pen was inked, and showed itself as a dark green window only when the pen was uninked or low on ink, which was very nice. Kept a classy look with a modern touch. The clear demonstrator takes that to the next level, revealing everything. Its is mesmerizing at times, looking at the ink inside the barrel move around. Its nice to see the piston mechanism doing its work, and the feed fit into the pen also at work. One can only appreciate the pen more seeing its internals. I subtracted a point as there is a section between the barrel and front end of the pen where the nib goes in that requires the pen to soak overnight should you wish to remove ink from that spot. Its unreachable by flushing with the piston, which is only mildly irritating, but its something worth note. While some might find the M200 is too small, I feel that it is in a nice spot, at the smaller end of the spectrum. It helped me convert from ballpoint/rollerballs to fountain pens, where the middleman M600 may not have at first with its larger size. Both the M200 and M600 series pens are equally comfortable to me.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8342/8254998211_997e211571_b.jpg

DSC00463 by miadhoque, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8478/8254992505_c512cb2b19_b.jpg

DSC00468 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Construction and Quality 10/10

There is nothing wrong here, the pen itself feels premium, yet light and easy to use. The pen feels solid and I doubt it will show problems anytime soon, or anytime at all, given Pelikan's record for building tanks in terms of pens.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8256066076_3aa4c6dabf_b.jpg

DSC00466 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Weight and Dimensions 9/10

Here is where I feel a bit conflicted, its got great dimensions, but pen could be heavier, I mention earlier that it feels premium, but I do wish it was a bit heavier all around.

Nib and Performance 10/10

A nib from Richard Binder? What do you think this was going to score? Its a left oblique 1.1mm cursive italic. Phew, thats a long name, but it writes great. It took me a bit of time to get used to the left oblique, but I certainly like it. I pondered getting a crisp italic, but only briefly, as it would be rather difficult to use outside of slow and deliberate calligraphy. The cursive italic is smooth, produces sharp lines, and creates nice line variation. It also gives room for shading in inks. Pelikan's normal nib lineup is EF,F,M, and B. The M200 Italic, and the M800 Italic, the former which I cannot recommend, the latter being a fun test drive at the Fountain Pen Hospital. Perhaps I will review that too someday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8219/8256068442_c8bcc49957_b.jpg

DSC00464 by miadhoque, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8256067262_365f3cbafe_b.jpg

DSC00465 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Filling System and Maintenance 10/10 and 6/10

Pelikan's piston system is great, holds a bunch of ink, reliable, and easy to use. No complaints here, maintenance, as I have mentioned earlier, is a bit of a drag,as ink gets trapped in the section of the pen, and requires to be soaked in water to draw the ink out. The cap can be very easily disassembled to be cleaned as well.

Cost and Value 10/10

I paid approx $110 for this pen during a sale at the Art Brown and Brother pen shop here in NYC, fantastic price for a special edition pen in a limited production. No doubt its price will go up over time, but this pen is a keeper.

As an additional note, some may notice that the cap of this pen is missing its clip, during reassembly after cleaning I forgot to reinstall the clip, and liked the look, so I kept it that way. I can always go back!

The little things really count.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miadhawk

• Mags

• NedC

• Pterodactylus

Thanks for a great review . Which ink did you use ?

Thank you! I used Iroshizuku Yama Budo

The pen is really beautiful.

But..dannnng..that ink!

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I got it with a broad nib,it's in repair actually,a default(yes a default i know incredible for Pelikan)in it has obliged me to send it back to the factory.It's absolutely free as it is clearely a construction default (failure of the inside when the pen has never fall and never subissed pressure variations) but it's still enervant as i have to wait for it.Except that it's a great pen and that broad nib is very very nice,it's an XF when writing from the high and has some flex in it which is very usefull for me

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine in from Levenger and here's the italic nib they include (in addition to F or M) for $140. I got a gift card deal where they sent a $100 gift card and free shipping, so turned that in later (with a 25% off total order) for a signature stub true writer and a couple of bottles of their ink (for padding, not much there for cheap). It has been an italic Xmas. And with Levenger, clearly, pays to work the coupon codes. $265 for $140, essentially. The true writer stub is overpriced but with this deal, glad I got one. It's finer than this Pelikan. I was surprised to find the Pelikan nib is tipped. I thought the "official" steel nib was not.

How is it? Pretty good. I'm using Herbin Terre de Feu and it lays a good 1.25mm or so downstroke, wet enough for a little bleed thru on Moleskine paper. Smooth, if held carefully flat. I'd call it stubbish, as the this stroke is about half the wide stroke ( on this paper, mind you). On fancier paper it works well. I prefer narrower italics, and it doesn't have the feel of the Stipula Etruria springy 18k nib. But, it's a matter of taste in width, crispness, and feel. I can't technically fault the nib performance. My favorite italic is the Plumix nib in a Prera. Dryer and finer and a bit crisper than this one, but no tipping material. The Etruria is too wet for most of my uses.

fpn_1356720493__8318193697_25d2902c77_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely pen and lovely exhibition of penmanship there, that Binder cursive italic is really tempting me. But do't you think it's cruel to de-beak a young Pelikan?;)

• 1 month later...

A lovely pen and lovely exhibition of penmanship there, that Binder cursive italic is really tempting me. But do't you think it's cruel to de-beak a young Pelikan?;)

My experience with Pelikan M200 factory italics would rather be me finding a poor bird with a broken beak. I simply called the vet and had a new one made for him. :cloud9:

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/4224/hhyl.jpg

(Pelkan M200 Demonstrator M-CI ... Diamine Sargasso Sea)

Edited by Pterodactylus

I have an amber demonstrator I am now wanting to ink it up and start my Friday.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice review and pics - thanks. With demonstrators would suggest avoiding inks with any trace of red in them. Liable to stain permanently over time.

I own this pen and love it as well. I enjoy the factory italic nib, though it's not quite as smooth or broad as the m800's italic broad nib. It has a different feel from the m200 CI and stub grinds I've purchased from nibmeisters - it's smoother.

The M200 demo is one of those pens that really grows on you. I had two and sold one but wish I still had both!

Cheers,

NM

Thanks for the review and the lovely pictures!

The pen looks sort of messy when you see the ink in it, but it's part of the fascination of a demonstrator I guess. Maybe I want to have a pen like this, it will entertain me while writing...

Best,

Tom

For sale: M625 red/silver, P395 gold, Delta Fellini.

The old version was the first demonstrator I ever saw that made me drool --- the big brothers to this pen were just too big for my then pre-teen hand --- but alas then it was outside of my price range. Today, you've make me think about it again.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/4224/hhyl.jpg

(Pelkan M200 Demonstrator M-CI ... Diamine Sargasso Sea)

Wow, your script is beautiful, as is the ink. I thought Sargasso Sea was a dark/bright blue. Yours looks like rich nuanced purple(ish). This is fascinating stuff!

Edited by GeekyGirl