4 replies to this topic

#1 Chiro75

Chiro75

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:56

So, I got a great deal on a neat Snorkel desk pen with a nice small base that has several grooves for setting pens and keeping them from rolling away.

I got one of David Nishimura's snorkel repair kits and after much cursing replaced the gasket and O-ring. It sucks up ink OK as far as I can tell, but the thing writes very disappointingly. Looks like a pretty fine, maybe even "extra fine" nib", but it doesn't start up well, needs more pressure to write than it should and it's scratchy, so the tines probably need adjusting.

From the side, the nib doesn't extend straight out from the pen. There end of the nib turns up a bit. Doesn't necessarily look like a lot of the damaged nibs I've seen like this, either, though. I'm curious if my nib is a bit sprung back or if that's the shape it's supposed to be and maybe just needs a little flossing between the tines and an adjustment...

Thanks in advance.
Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

#2 Mt.Roll

Mt.Roll

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 14:17

http://www.richardsp...triumph_nib.htm

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 14:24

From the side, the nib doesn't extend straight out from the pen. There end of the nib turns up a bit. Doesn't necessarily look like a lot of the damaged nibs I've seen like this, either, though. I'm curious if my nib is a bit sprung back or if that's the shape it's supposed to be and maybe just needs a little flossing between the tines and an adjustment...

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the upturned nib tip is completely normal.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#4 Chiro75

Chiro75

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:37

Thanks, guys. Now I just have to figure out why it writes so badly, then.
Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

#5 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 00:19

It might just need thorough cleaning to clear dried ink from the feed.