Diamine Music Collection - Chopin

Bhavna

A very interesting colour with a subdued sheen and great shading.

Edit: Please note this is NOT a dry ink - my experience of slight dryness may be due to a brand new pen/ flow. Please do not be put off by this.

fpn_1354803370__chopin_review_sml.jpg

fpn_1354803394__chopin_sheen.jpg

Edited by Bhavna

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bhavna

• Jadie

• brunico

• Uncle Red

So it's a blue-gray with a coppery sheen? Interesting. Awww...I was starting to get into blue-greys after seeing pictures of Iroshizuku Shin-kai online, but if it's a dry flowing ink, then it won't hold water with me.

Thanks for the review, though!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Thanks, Bhavna. I may have to get this because I love Chopin so much, but I can't see it on the Diamine site. Do you know when it will be released?

Boy, that does have sheen, I like the color but not a lot.

Yes interesting to find a sheen on a blue-grey! For wild sheen see my Tchaikovsy and Strauss!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

So it's a blue-gray with a coppery sheen? Interesting. Awww...I was starting to get into blue-greys after seeing pictures of Iroshizuku Shin-kai online, but if it's a dry flowing ink, then it won't hold water with me.

Thanks for the review, though!

Hi Jadie, not dry, my experience of it was possibly due to a new pen. Also the sheen is graphite, like pencil-lead.

Thanks, Bhavna. I may have to get this because I love Chopin so much, but I can't see it on the Diamine site. Do you know when it will be released?

Hello Brunico, I don't know when this will be available on their website as they are currently sending stock to suppliers.

Wow. Unlike you I'm finding myself really drawn to this ink (I seem to have gotten onto a grey ink kick recently). I wonder how it will do in a relatively wet pen.... Any water resistance here?

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow. Unlike you I'm finding myself really drawn to this ink (I seem to have gotten onto a grey ink kick recently). I wonder how it will do in a relatively wet pen.... Any water resistance here?

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth! You know, as I use it more and more, I too am on the way to changing my mind. The vintage look of the blue-grey is very endearing. I received a Parker 45 in the post today and there was a little blue-black ink which was terribly appealing. I am wondering what it might be. The pen is NOT marked with the 45 that my others are. I am so intrigued to find out dates of when the '45' engraving was introduced on the caps! Little water resistance, a drop of water smashed through the ink. But this wasn't a formal water-test of any description, merely my cleaning the dip pen a little too enthusiastically!! I am glad you liked the review.

Edited by Bhavna

Great reviews you've had lately! :thumbup: I really like the sheen on this one!

Thank you so much, and that means a lot coming from you! The sheen is divine!!

Adding this in response to some requests, I hope it is of use!

fpn_1354982440__music_set_water_drop_test_sml.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

very nice ink color thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 8 months later...

Hello again, Bhavna!

I just wanted to add this reply to say that I agree with you: this is not a dry ink. It is a beautiful, luscious, wet-flowing river of silvery-blue elixir that makes the F nib in my Aurora Archivi Storici sing.

Yes, after reading through all your wonderful reviews on the Diamine Music Set and realizing I really like all the colors, I bought it! (Vanness Pens was having an ink sale.) And I am very happy with my set so far, though I've only inked up Chopin.

I'm not getting a graphite halo (probably nib is too fine), but on Tomoe River and Clairefontaine, the ink dries to this wonderfully shiny, dark red in saturated spots. Reminds me of the sheen effects of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo or Diamine Midnight Blue. I'm just happy it can still work its magic in thinner line widths!

Thanks for making this possible!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Hello again, Bhavna!

I just wanted to add this reply to say that I agree with you: this is not a dry ink. It is a beautiful, luscious, wet-flowing river of silvery-blue elixir that makes the F nib in my Aurora Archivi Storici sing.

Yes, after reading through all your wonderful reviews on the Diamine Music Set and realizing I really like all the colors, I bought it! (Vanness Pens was having an ink sale.) And I am very happy with my set so far, though I've only inked up Chopin.

I'm not getting a graphite halo (probably nib is too fine), but on Tomoe River and Clairefontaine, the ink dries to this wonderfully shiny, dark red in saturated spots. Reminds me of the sheen effects of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo or Diamine Midnight Blue. I'm just happy it can still work its magic in thinner line widths!

Thanks for making this possible!

Jadie hello! Thank you for dropping by. I am delighted you have the Music Set. Yes I have found that finer nibs don't lay down as much ink, so that properties do differ. Have you tried any of the colours in a wetter nib or even dipped? You have to ink up the other colours...... how have you been so patient? :yikes: :puddle:

• 5 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because after buying the Music Set late last year, I have finally opened the inks.

So far, Chopin is my favourite. I love this ink - more grey than blue and such an interesting colour. I'm finding it a little dry but as I tend to use wet pens, it's ok.

I'm now scared I'll use it up too quickly. I know I can order more but I'm terrified of running out.

Does anyone know of another grey that is close to Chopin? I have PR Grey Flannel and MB Oyster Grey as well as Shaeffer Skrip Blue-Black but none come close to this.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using this and perhaps order 2 more bottles to ensure I don't run out.