Montegrappa Desicion

VaN GoGh

Well my friends,

I want a birthday present for myself. So I tought that the best present will be a new fountain pen. Here are the options :

Extra 1930 Bamboo Black , Miya Torquise , Modigliani

The price of Extra and Modigliani are the same. Miya is cheaper about % 25.

Any suggestions ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VaN GoGh

• Ghost Plane

• FrankvK

• 7th Wave

Personally, right now I'd go for the Extra 1930.

The Modigliani is on my wishlist for a while already and love that blue color, but at the moment my mood is more to dark colored pens, so the Extra 1930 would be my choice.

Any of these pens would be a good choice though.

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

Extra 1930!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

Although, have you looked at the Classica?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

I choose the Extra over the Miya or Modigliani for it's thicker section and larger nib. Also, the Bamboo celluloid appeals to me more than the Miya's Turquoise or the resin used for the Modigliani. As far as overall shape and form go, I like both the Extra and Modigliani; however, I strongly dislike the Miya's tapered section.

Edited by raging.dragon

I choose the Extra over the Miya or Modigliani for it's thicker section and larger nib. Also, the Bamboo celluloid appeals to me more than the Miya's Turquoise or the resin used for the Modigliani. As far as overall shape and form go, I like both the Extra and Modigliani; however, I strongly dislike the Miya's tapered section.

Well now I have two options left :ltcapd:

Modigliani hurt my hand. I didn't get it.

Miya is awkward to hold for extended periods of time, tho' I own a few.

I'd go with the Extra. And I did. 3 times :embarrassed_smile:

Modigliani hurt my hand. I didn't get it.

Miya is awkward to hold for extended periods of time, tho' I own a few.

I'd go with the Extra. And I did. 3 times :embarrassed_smile:

I think I'll go with the extra 1930 :thumbup:

Which nibs do you prefer ?

Excellent choice :thumbup:

For the nib, that is very personal, would be up to you and your writing style.

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

I've been wanting an Extra for some time, but have been put off by some comments about very low ink capacity and that the piston inside is only a masked ordinary c/c... Is it really so?

I do have a Miya Argento in dark blue, and I quite like it (I hold pens high, so the section is thick enough for me, and both Miya and Extra have very comfortable threads) and the Miya can be fit with a large capacity cartridge (very easy to refill with a syringe). The Miya major fault is being rather short for my hand.

I also have a Stradivary, which, like the Modigliani, has threads that are not very comfortable. I wonder if the Extra has the same kind of piston (or captive c/c..).

Edited by MikeF

I use B nibs. I think it's a captured c/c from the capacity, which seems equal to a convertor rather than a traditional piston.

The Extra 1930 body is longer than the Miya, so it's long enough for me, even tho' I usually use my pens posted. The nib quality and the beauty is worth it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I own both the 1930 extra and the miya, and I love both. I love the extra for it's size, and I live the miya for the price and the ease of cleaning with converte. All things being equal I would say the extra is the better, with weight and size.

"Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono"

I own both the 1930 extra and the miya, and I love both. I love the extra for it's size, and I live the miya for the price and the ease of cleaning with converte. All things being equal I would say the extra is the better, with weight and size.

So I bougth the extra 2 days ago and it is really a nice pen

Good choice for a wonderful pen!

A little outside the topic, but I am intrigued by the nice pen pouch in your picture with the 3 MB's.

What brand is it? It looks as of there is room enough for a 149 in the middle ??

Rob

You chose the extra and you did well :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I chose the Extra once and then again and again...and now have it in all colors...Not at all sorry about doing so! Also have Miya in all colors and Modigliani in the one (thank goodness, it's the only color) color available and love them all just the same! :cloud9: :cloud9:

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

if i had to choose for myself would be the extra 1930,nice classy pen,not too big not too small and nice shapped

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.