bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:17

Posted Image

This is the second time as I wanted a more stubbier broad nib... it's absolutely perfect now Posted Image

First time I'm seeing this kind of acrylic packing case. The pen essentially floats between two layers of shrink-wrap; the dimensions of the pen cause it to stretch a bit...

I'm sure these would make great 'long term' storage cases, especially for sterling-silver pieces as there isn't much air trapped inside.

Edited by bsodmike, 03 December 2012 - 09:18.

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

For sale: All in mint condition!! —Email me!
  • * Montblanc Meisterstück Sterling Silver Solitaire Barley FP (B-nib)
  • * Montblanc Masters for Meisterstück Meissen White Porcelain FP (B-nib)
  • * Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black and Turtle Brown FPs (Both M-nibs)

#2 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:21

WOW :puddle:

That is stunning !

Pretty smart package too. :thumbup:

#3 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27

A close up of the amazing packing... (yeah, I'm more excited about that right now Posted Image) - I used my Agatha Vermeil for this 'test'...

Posted Image
...and a quick an dirty sample of my penmanship that's still a work in progress Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by bsodmike, 03 December 2012 - 09:27.

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

#4 KJY

KJY

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28

Nice!

Thanks for sharing. Maybe it has got something to do with the customs, so they can see the content? Very transparant anyway.

Oh yes, congrats with the POA!
My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):
Appelboom

#5 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:34

The first time it arrived last month, it came in this black container:

Posted Image
Hence, the surprise and excitement re. the new packing...Posted Image

Edited by bsodmike, 03 December 2012 - 10:36.

#6 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:37

Lovely pen combined with great handwriting and, to top it off, a super storage case :thumbup:

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#7 rockspyder

rockspyder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:15

Lovely pen combined with great handwriting and, to top it off, a super storage case :thumbup:

+1! :thumbup:
Congrats on a beautiful pen, enjoy!!

#8 s5blitzer

s5blitzer

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:36

Very nice!!! Congrats!

#9 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40

Thanks for the kind compliments... I'm looking forward to writing some more with this beauty.

#10 JLS1

JLS1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:26

Nice - use it well! :thumbup:

BTW, could you tell us the other pens in the background of the first pic? (I'd love to have a desk w/that many nice MBs...)

#11 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:05

Starting from the box, top left - Montegrappa Turtle Brown (M), MB Meissen White porcelain B nib, MB Sterling Silver Barley with MOP MB star and a 0.035ct G VVS2 channel set diamond in the clip. Next is a Jules Verne B-nib (Note: on loan from a very special friend), two caps for the 149 (clip engraved) and Dumas that are in my 149 pen stands - both B nibs. Back to the box- 149 OBBB nib, 149 Helmut Jahn Special Ed with OB nib. The right most 149 is my favourite and was a gift from my late father when I was 15 - it started it all! Has a 14C fine nib, with long tines dated to circa 1980s.

Tray from the very left: glimpse of my only ballpoint, the 100th Anniv starwalker, Agatha Christie Vermeil Ed. 4810 B-nib, Agatha Christie Sterling Silver B-nib, Octavian B-nib, Boheme Marron B-nib - soon going to a friend as I'm getting my Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black back in return so this is a re-swap. Next, Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi (M), Parker Duofold Centennial in Black/Gold (M), new, and marble blue (M) and was my Dad's. Far right, Pelkian M1000 (F).

I've got several of the older pieces reviewed on YouTube as well. Hoping to do a new review of all the recent pieces starting with the Meissen, Agathas, Dumas, and Octavian.

Posted Image

Edited by bsodmike, 03 December 2012 - 14:09.

#12 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,282 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:17

Wonderful collection, bsodmike! The snake eyes on the silver Agatha Christie caught my attention :ninja:

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

#13 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:20

Wonderful collection, bsodmike! The snake eyes on the silver Agatha Christie caught my attention :ninja:

Cheers pmhudepo...
Heh.. there are days that happens to me as well! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by bsodmike, 03 December 2012 - 14:20.

#14 PBW

PBW

Stuck on a rock

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:29

I would be just as excited over that case. I bought my wife a ring from Bulgari that came in a similar case and it is really cool to look at it floating in the box. I hope the pinstripe I am waiting for comes in that kind of case.
"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." - Ayn Rand

I may be getting older, but I REFUSE to GROW UP!

#15 JLS1

JLS1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:00

Starting from the box, top left - Montegrappa Turtle Brown (M), MB Meissen White porcelain B nib, MB Sterling Silver Barley with MOP MB star and a 0.035ct G VVS2 channel set diamond in the clip. Next is a Jules Verne B-nib (Note: on loan from a very special friend), two caps for the 149 (clip engraved) and Dumas that are in my 149 pen stands - both B nibs. Back to the box- 149 OBBB nib, 149 Helmut Jahn Special Ed with OB nib. The right most 149 is my favourite and was a gift from my late father when I was 15 - it started it all! Has a 14C fine nib, with long tines dated to circa 1980s.

Tray from the very left: glimpse of my only ballpoint, the 100th Anniv starwalker, Agatha Christie Vermeil Ed. 4810 B-nib, Agatha Christie Sterling Silver B-nib, Octavian B-nib, Boheme Marron B-nib - soon going to a friend as I'm getting my Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black back in return so this is a re-swap. Next, Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi (M), Parker Duofold Centennial in Black/Gold (M), new, and marble blue (M) and was my Dad's. Far right, Pelkian M1000 (F).

I've got several of the older pieces reviewed on YouTube as well. Hoping to do a new review of all the recent pieces starting with the Meissen, Agathas, Dumas, and Octavian.

Wow!!! That's a GREAT collection - thanks for sharing that with all of us!
(Wish I had friends who would lend me Writer's Editions and high-end Montegrappas - all I get lent is a ballpoint...and that's usually with a scowl and a hawk-like stare until I give the pen back! ;) )

#16 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:14

Wonderful collection Mike :puddle: and as for those fantastic shirt pocket shots............ :notworthy1: :clap1:

Thank you very much for sharing.

Pavoni.

#17 Gryphon

Gryphon

An Odd Sort

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:02

Posted Image

Wow your pens are awesome. :notworthy1: The crystal one, spider one and snake head on the clip are the best! I like those pen stands as well. I was thinking of getting some of those for my pens.

Edited by Gryphon, 06 December 2012 - 13:05.

§ "Explanations take such a dreadful time" §

#18 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:30

This is the second time as I wanted a more stubbier broad nib... it's absolutely perfect now

Tell me more please... Did you send it in for a nib replacement to a "B" or "OB" or "BB"? Did it came back not stubbie (sp?) enough the first time or was it an "M" the first time? How did you specify it this time to get it the way you wanted it?

That Octavian looks great. As does your handwriting.
As for the packaging, it looks similar to what Pilot used for the matte black Vanishing Point a couple of years ago -- placed between two halves of soft plastic "wrap" such that the pen is shock mounted between the sheets and not touching any other object.

Added:
Oh, and did you send it (or bring it) directly to Hamburg or through your local MB boutique?

Thanks

Edited by tenney, 06 December 2012 - 21:31.

--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#19 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:18

This is the second time as I wanted a more stubbier broad nib... it's absolutely perfect now

Tell me more please... Did you send it in for a nib replacement to a "B" or "OB" or "BB"? Did it came back not stubbie (sp?) enough the first time or was it an "M" the first time? How did you specify it this time to get it the way you wanted it?

That Octavian looks great. As does your handwriting.
As for the packaging, it looks similar to what Pilot used for the matte black Vanishing Point a couple of years ago -- placed between two halves of soft plastic "wrap" such that the pen is shock mounted between the sheets and not touching any other object.

Added:
Oh, and did you send it (or bring it) directly to Hamburg or through your local MB boutique?

Thanks

Hi Glen - I've sent my MBs across previously via the boutiques when possible, but I've since moved back home and there are no boutiques here. Therefore, I simply couriered it to my contact at MB. The first time I received it, the nib was changed to a B but I found it to lack the line variance I had come to love that my Agatha SS has (also nib swapped).

So, this time I sent them a writing comparison between the Agatha and the B-nib on the Octavian, then I had MB also send me a writing sample the second time round. Based on a two-week wait, it was obvious that they needed some time to find the kind of nib I was looking for Posted Image

Yes, 'shock mounting' is a very good way to describe it. Thanks!

Edited by bsodmike, 07 December 2012 - 09:19.

#20 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:21

Wonderful collection Mike :puddle: and as for those fantastic shirt pocket shots............ :notworthy1: :clap1:

Thank you very much for sharing.

Pavoni.

Thanks Gouy :)

#21 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:56

I've got a special LE 149 arriving soon... All excited now!

#22 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:33

Thanks bsodmike. So how would you describe the nib now (the one that you like)? B? BB? OB? Stub? i.e. if you got another pen, how would you describe to MB how you wanted the nib to be?
--

#23 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:22

Thanks bsodmike. So how would you describe the nib now (the one that you like)? B? BB? OB? Stub? i.e. if you got another pen, how would you describe to MB how you wanted the nib to be?

It's a stubby B with good line-variance. It's easier to send a writing sample if you could provide one. Otherwise, you'd have to get fairly descriptive heh.

#24 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:07

"It's a stubby B with good line-variance." sounds fairly descriptive to me. Writing samples are always tough for me -- I have several different pens / nibs that I like which makes it tough to guess what sample to provide.
--

#25 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:11

"It's a stubby B with good line-variance." sounds fairly descriptive to me. Writing samples are always tough for me -- I have several different pens / nibs that I like which makes it tough to guess what sample to provide.

LOL! I thought so too the first time around, but the nib I got performed more like a slightly thinner broad nib. The line was thick and dull, with no line-variance at all. The writing sample helped them to dig around for a decent nib; thankfully, I had a good example to provide.

Edited by bsodmike, 09 December 2012 - 07:12.

#26 pmhudepo

pmhudepo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,282 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:41

Cheers pmhudepo...
Heh.. there are days that happens to me as well!

Sometimes you just need to avert the eyes...

Posted Image

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

#27 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:20

Nice pic pmhudepo... Thanks! Posted Image

#28 bsodmike

bsodmike

Shaken, not stirred

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:24

... and this beauty arrived just yesterday. A succulent O3B nib that's been tuned by Mikeitwork as well. Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:38

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :puddle: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

#30 reprieve

reprieve

And how does the sun even fit in the sky?

• Member - Gold

• 2,937 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:43

I love that red ink in the O3B nib. It's eye-popping.