A Class Above A Lamy 2000

hharry

I already have a Lamy 2k which is waiting for a new nib btw but after reading a lot about the mayor Japanese Companies i was ending what should be considered the next step?

Which fountainpen is a class above the Lamy 2k? Looming/looking/dreaming about a fountainpen with a bit of a vintage feeling, not to small in F.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hharry

• parnesh

• Miketsheehan

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that any current pen clearly out-classes the Lamy 2000. You can easily find more expensive pens, but most of their extra expense is from glitz. Sailor makes an excellent pen in the 1911 series, but you either like the extra-stiff nibs or hate them.

If you like the Lamy, keep using it and be happy!

Go down to the Hague and use the money you didn't spend on a pen to buy Akkerman's ink.

(Note: my mother-in-law was Friesian, though she grew up in Breda. Father-in-law was from Den Haag. They had a Scrabble game with letters collected from several games that had worn out. They used to play bilingual Scrabble, but my mother-in-law would sometimes, well...not cheat, because she was a formidable woman, but become creative. She would use her letters to make a game-winning word that was neither Dutch nor English. Father-in-law would protest. She would insist, "Yes, that's a word in Friesland". Father-in-law would splutter in outrage.)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I second welch's comments above about the Lamy 2000; its a fantastic pen. You can get pens styled differently and with a different tactile sensation from a variety of manufacturers. If you interested in Japanese pens, I'd recommend looking at Sailor or Nakaya. Both are excellent manufacturers. In roughly the same size as a Lamy 2000, the Sailor M1911 Large is well regarded and there is a piston filled variation (the Realo). Note that Sailor nibs tend to the stiffer side of things. Nakaya pens have an almost a cult like following, but are a step or two about Sailor pens for cost. There specialty is a urushi finish that is very hard to describe, but very beautiful.

One note, Japanese nibs tend to run about 1/2 to a full size narrower than equivalent European nibs. Further, Lamy nibs tend to run wider than most European nibs. So a Lamy Fine would equate to a Japanese Medium. Further, every manufacturer has a different idea what fine, medium and bold translate to in actual nib widths.This is one of the reasons I'm willing to pay the premium required of brick and mortar stores. You get to try the pen out before you buy.

I can't agree more: after looking for THE pen, I just had to return to the 2K. Fantastic pen! You could just give a try to the steel one. The other solution would be to give a try to a custom made pen (Edison, Newton, Ken Cavers aka DrGortex and so on). If the idea is to get something "special", this is a nice way to go, and (relatively) not too expensive.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

As you mentioned it has to have a vintage feel, I recommend a Parker 51 flighter model. Such a modern finish, holds a lot of ink, reliable and robust.

It's a step up on the Lamy (IMHO).

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

To me the next step from a Lamy 2000 is a 2000m or if you want a different brand I would recommend a Pelikan in the 600 or 800 size.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I doubt that any current pen clearly out-classes the Lamy 2000. You can easily find more expensive pens, but most of their extra expense is from glitz. Sailor makes an excellent pen in the 1911 series, but you either like the extra-stiff nibs or hate them.

If you like the Lamy, keep using it and be happy!

Go down to the Hague and use the money you didn't spend on a pen to buy Akkerman's ink.

(Note: my mother-in-law was Friesian, though she grew up in Breda. Father-in-law was from Den Haag. They had a Scrabble game with letters collected from several games that had worn out. They used to play bilingual Scrabble, but my mother-in-law would sometimes, well...not cheat, because she was a formidable woman, but become creative. She would use her letters to make a game-winning word that was neither Dutch nor English. Father-in-law would protest. She would insist, "Yes, that's a word in Friesland". Father-in-law would splutter in outrage.)

Great story! Those Frysians have a very dry sense off humour. As a matter of fact I am born and raised in The Hague and moved to Friesland. Been planning a trip to that beautiful Akkermanshop. Sound advice.

Pelikan, Aurora will be different.

Haven't gotten around to the Aurora ... still dithering, at a sale; both on sale, I could have had a Aurora Verdi, for a hundred and fifty Euro more than a MB Woolf.

A Verdi is in my future, as soon as I glue this crystal ball back together.

Aurora has a narrow slightly toothy nib....semi-flex can be had from the factory. The Verdi was semi-flex.

All sorts of other good top quality pens besides an MB.

Dupont!!!! :notworthy1:

Used does well too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pelikan M800 would be a logical next step.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

It is pretty hard to go past a L2K for the value for money. However if your interested in Japanese pens have a look at some of the pilot pens. In particular the custom 92 is similar to a TWSBI 540/ Lamy 2000 but is a demonstrator. It is also the same price as a L2K. Also look at the 742/912 pens. These are CC pens but have the Con-70 convertor which has a large capacity. These have the larger #10 nibs which come in > 10 different factory sizes e.g EF, F, FM, M, B, SF, SFM you get the picture. In particular the soft nibs are said to be wonderful writers a have a nice feel. You can also get the 74 which is smaller but this might be too small for your tastes.

I would not recommend a modern pelikan unless youre getting a m800 or m1000. Personally the m200,m400,m600 nibs offer nothing over the L2K.

If you like vintage look, get a vinatge pen. In particular look at pelikan 400NN and vintage aurora 88. I have both and they are great value for money and different in looks and feel from the L2K. the pelikan has a nice semi-flex nib.

It is pretty hard to go past a L2K for the value for money. However if your interested in Japanese pens have a look at some of the pilot pens. In particular the custom 92 is similar to a TWSBI 540/ Lamy 2000 but is a demonstrator. It is also the same price as a L2K. Also look at the 742/912 pens. These are CC pens but have the Con-70 convertor which has a large capacity. These have the larger #10 nibs which come in > 10 different factory sizes e.g EF, F, FM, M, B, SF, SFM you get the picture. In particular the soft nibs are said to be wonderful writers a have a nice feel. You can also get the 74 which is smaller but this might be too small for your tastes.

I would not recommend a modern pelikan unless youre getting a m800 or m1000. Personally the m200,m400,m600 nibs offer nothing over the L2K.

If you like vintage look, get a vinatge pen. In particular look at pelikan 400NN and vintage aurora 88. I have both and they are great value for money and different in looks and feel from the L2K. the pelikan has a nice semi-flex nib.

I should add that I am in no way implying that these are a class above the L2K but more so that they offer something different as a similar value proposition.

To me the next step from a Lamy 2000 is a 2000m or if you want a different brand I would recommend a Pelikan in the 600 or 800 size.

Perfect

Very strong recos IMHO

I'd also throw a nod in for the Bexley Corona. It's not necessarily a step above the Lamy 2000, but it has similarities/advantages that the Lamy has while being different. Not sure on the "vintage" feel as that's subjective, but it does come in I think an older, Parker-esque color combo?

Local company makes them, piston filler, removable nib. Stainless steel option is cheaper, but a very good pen nonetheless. The whole steel v. gold thing can be debated & really comes down to personal preference or depends on what you want from the nib.

~Jaime

(she/her)

I like the BEXLEY Corona a lot. I like it better than my LAMY 2000,

but I wouldn't say it is a better pen. The diameter is a bit larger,

and it is very close in appearance to the vintage Big Red Parker Duofold.

Ink flow is very good. BEXLEY Corona "feels" more sturdy.

A step up ? Perhaps a Pelikan Souveran M-600, or slightly fatter M-800.

Serious money, though.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a couple of Lamy 2000's, and I think my Pelikan M200 writes smoother. Besides that, the 2000 does not hold so well (for me that is), because of the sigar-shaped design. Also tried the new stainless steel Lamy 2000; you'll have to like the steel feel, I didn't. It's a beautiful pen however.

Next, I tried some Sailor's 1911; EF and F. A bit scratchy for my taste, and nowhere near as smooth as my Pelikan M200. (goldplated steel-nib!)

So, I would try some of the Pelikans. Very good fountain pens.

The M200 always surprises me, even compared to much more expensive pens. And, the steel nib M200 has a considerable amount of flex to it; a very unusual phenomenon in a modern fountain pen.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque