How To Get Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black In Usa

Daisy

For those in the United States with a love for Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ink, how are you getting yours in? Are you able to order directly through a seller like UK-based Cult Pens without trouble from customs? Or did you find a proxy buyer / trade partner for a personal transaction?

Until now, it was my understanding that you pretty much needed to do a personal transaction because of the "forbidden ingredient" or whatever the deal is, but a UK-based FPNer told me to just get it straight from Cult Pens or the like, which would be quick and easy... if it doesn't get stopped at Customs.

So what are your experiences? Any information would be welcome.

And NO, I'm NOT with Homeland Security!!! :roflmho:

Thanks y'all!

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daisy

• The Good Captain

• wastelanded

• myn

It's not contraband, it's just ink. Forge ahead with no fear. :)

:roflmho:

It wasn't that; I just can't stand the thought of throwing money away. :crybaby:

Thanks for your response!

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The easiest and most convenient way is to head over to: amazon.co.uk

If you already have an Amazon account you use the same name and password, and the site has a convenient currency converter. 62.5 ml of Pelikan 4001 blue-black goodness is available for £7.99 ($10.30 but you have to add shipping).

Needless to say I am not connected to Amazon, UK or US...

Edited by carlos.q

Awesome! I've never been so pleased to be proven wrong. :D

I shall watch this one with interest. For those asking: why?

Check my posts!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Howdy, Good Cap'n! One need look no farther than your avatar to discern your interest... :D

I have an email in to Cult Pens customer service as well, to ask directly if anyone's had any problems. If I hear back and all is well, I'll give that a shot early next week. I checked out The Writing Desk and Amazon.co.uk, but Cult Pens seemed to have the better all around deal (those are the larger 62.5 ml bottles).

So we'll see. So far no one's saying they've heard of any issues, which is what I was really looking for so I could avoid same. :D

Howdy, Good Cap'n! One need look no farther than your avatar to discern your interest... :D

I have an email in to Cult Pens customer service as well, to ask directly if anyone's had any problems. If I hear back and all is well, I'll give that a shot early next week. I checked out The Writing Desk and Amazon.co.uk, but Cult Pens seemed to have the better all around deal (those are the larger 62.5 ml bottles).

So we'll see. So far no one's saying they've heard of any issues, which is what I was really looking for so I could avoid same. :D

Exactly! And Pelikan Pens/Niche Pens have the larger bottles at a reasonable price too. However, I've never looked at the shipping costs for anywhere else but here so I can't say which would be the best bet. I won't be buying any more for a little while though - I found I've got five unopened ones at the back of the top shelf.

That of course elicited the usual comments: "Why have you got so many of the same one?" But then, her favourite is red/purple. I rest my case.

The Good Captain

Cap'n, that Pelikan site may well be the best deal; for orders under £20 the shipping is only £5. Thanks!

I'll let y'all know what happens... and thanks again!

I heard back from Michael Randall at Cult Pens today:

Hi Daisy,

We ship ink to the US regularly, and don't generally see any problems.

If an order contained a lot of ink, and little else, it's possible

customs would be concerned, but it isn't something we've seen with

fountain pen ink.

Thanks,

--

Michael Randall

Cult Pens - http://www.cultpens.com

On 2012-11-23 20:27, sales@cultpens.com wrote:

> Is it possible to have you ship Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black to the U.S. as a private order? It is no longer sold here, and I don't want to order it if it's going to be stopped at Customs. Please let me know whether or not you've had any issues with shipping Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black to customers in the U.S. Thanks so much!

>

>

So it looks like I have a green light! Only problem now is that I hit that sale at Goulet's this weekend... I may have to wait a few days before ordering, but I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thank you for all the good info!

P.S. Pelikan Pens/Niche Pens had the better deal on shipping, charging only £5 to ship to the U.S. as opposed to the £10 charged by CultPens for U.S. delivery, but they are out of stock on the ink, and CultPens is not...

P.P.S.

"Why have you got so many of the same one?" But then, her favourite is red/purple. I rest my case.

Thereby bringing balance back into the world. I get it, Good Cap'n. :D

(edited to add P.S.)

Edited by Daisy

Thereby bringing balance back into the world. I get it, Good Cap'n. :D

Welcome to my parlour...

The Good Captain

Daisy you might find this article very interesting. You could save money depending on what customs and shipping charges are. The colour certainly appears to be extremely close.

http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/05/stefan-v-compares-pelikan-edelstein.html

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

Hi Myn! Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I'm already familiar with Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite, but it just doesn't shake my tree enough to make me pay more than 3x per bottle what Pelikan Bl-Blk used to cost before Pelikan pulled it off the U.S. market. Thanks though!!!

Daisy I sure agree with you about the cost of the Tanzanite. The only way it might pay for itself is if the extra cost was equivalent to the shipping and customs charges but that's a big if.

Have you given any thought to the newest ink by Noodler's as a replacement. Noodler's 54th Massachusetts has a beautiful greyish blue colour very similar to the Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. I had a penpal who wrote me a letter just recently using it on one page - it is really gorgeous on paper.

Smaple can be seen here:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_54th_Massachusetts_Ink_3oz_p/n19071.htm

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

Daisy I sure agree with you about the cost of the Tanzanite. The only way it might pay for itself is if the extra cost was equivalent to the shipping and customs charges but that's a big if.

Have you given any thought to the newest ink by Noodler's as a replacement. Noodler's 54th Massachusetts has a beautiful greyish blue colour very similar to the Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. I had a penpal who wrote me a letter just recently using it on one page - it is really gorgeous on paper.

Smaple can be seen here:

http://www.gouletpen...oz_p/n19071.htm

You know, it's funny because this is probably going to be my next Noodler's purchase from them! I have got the Tanzanite and apart from being just a bit smoother and a tad bluer - sometimes - I can't really tell the difference from the 'real thing'!

The Good Captain

I had been thinking the same thing but when I added it up I found that it doesn't; with shipping the Pel Bl-Blk comes out to about $17 USD a bottle for two of the large 62.5 ml bottles at CultPens. It would have been even less if they'd had it in stock at Niche Pens; because of the lower shipping it'd work out to $13 USD a bottle.

By starkly unacceptable contrast, one smaller (50 ml) bottle of the Pelikan Edelstein runs over $31 shipped from Goulet, and I can't imagine that it would be much cheaper elsewhere. Even with free shipping, where that applies, you're still looking at $25 per 50 ml bottle, at least.

For all that it would need to reach out and massage my eyes like some of the Iroshizuku inks do, maybe give me a back rub, and it just doesn't. I'm not knocking the Edelstein line as a whole; they may be fabulous. I'm just not drawn to them, and I'm especially not drawn to the price. I'll happily pay that for a knockout ink (well, maybe not happily, but you know what I mean) but I'm pretty sure that ain't the ink.

To borrow a word from the late great Barry White, I luurrrve Noodler's 54th Massachusetts! I have a sample of it loaded up in a Safari right now. Its water resistance is impressive -- I ran a writing sample under the faucet and it did not budge. But I find that it is not so much a true blue-black as it is more of a blue-green-black, though it is very sedately pretty.

It doesn't shade much, and frankly I like other colors somewhat better, but for the pleasant color PLUS the great water resistance PLUS the smoothness of the ink... oh yeah.

I have a sample of the Tanzanite coming just for giggles, and I expect it will be very pleasant and all, but now I know where to get the real Pelikan Blue-Black and I'm completely happy with that... :D

For those in the United States with a love for Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ink, how are you getting yours in? Are you able to order directly through a seller like UK-based Cult Pens without trouble from customs? Or did you find a proxy buyer / trade partner for a personal transaction?

Thanks y'all!

I did neither, darlin'!! No need to.

I jes bought two 30ml bottles of Pelikan 4001 blue-black --pre-ban!!-- ri'chere in the good ol' US of A. Tie yer junebug to that piece of info! Yes, you can still get it right down there in lil' ol' Virginia at a pen shop called Pen Lovers Paradise: ink link

I know this to be true, as I jes spoke to the proprietor, a lovely Southern damsel by the name o' Pam. Loved her accent. Anyway, she now has seven 30ml bottles left, as I jes bought two. I'd get on the horn or whatever and skeedaddle on down there to get 'em while they got 'em. I told her you were coming and she's more than ready. Fifty-seven minutes and counting...... ;)

nulla dies sine linea

Aaaargh! I only wish I'd known! I ordered from Cult Pens last night...

*sigh*

But to respond in kind:

Yeah, I'd a happily tied mah Junebug to that lil bit o' news! If only I'da known. But with yer kindly post, I'm figgerin' she runs out in the next 24 hours anyhow. Yer a sweet man, Notbob, to think o' me and my strong yurnin' fer some purty ink. :D

I have meetings Europe periodically and usually end up putting at least one bottle of ink in my suitcase for the ride home. Last trip was 4001 blue-black and a MB midnight blue. :ninja:

Edited by ruckin