Montblanc Burgundy Red

wastelanded

My very first ink review. Apologies for lack of depth, but hopefully I will improve as I go on: a toe in cold water. Feel free to ask if I have not answered something. Also apologies for quality: I can't find a memory card in the house, so this is the phone camera. I have redone the image: it was a little too warm once I saw it on my good monitor

ETA: 60-second dunk of bottom half in tap water. Use a sippy-cup for drinking when using this ink, I think.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastelanded

• Frank C

• GardenCity-NY

• SUNIL GARG

"Wastelanded", congratulations on your first ink review.

This MB burgundy/red ink has really piqued my interest.

I've yet to find a red to my liking, but this one looks very promising.

To my eyes, it's almost a blood-red (like Noodler's Antietam?).

Is this ink a recent edition to the MB inks?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I enjoyed your review, well done! :thumbup:

Could you please inform us about the water resistance of this ink (if any)? :rolleyes:

I knew I'd forgotten something! Edited to add, see above.

ETA: And thanks!

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

"Wastelanded", congratulations on your first ink review.

This MB burgundy/red ink has really piqued my interest.

I've yet to find a red to my liking, but this one looks very promising.

To my eyes, it's almost a blood-red (like Noodler's Antietam?).

Is this ink a recent edition to the MB inks?

Thanks very much! I don't know if's it that recent. I know there used to be a Bordeaux Red. Whether this is the same ink, I am not sure. I don't think it's very blood-like, not like Diamine Oxblood or Red Dragon: closer to Merlot, I think. It very much reminds me of a glass of wine though, so it must be fairly accurate. I think Antietam is a bit warmer in tone, but similar.

This is definitely not an in-your-face burgundy. It's airy, lots of breath in it.

Hi,

Congratulations on your first Ink Review! :clap1:

I've had a bottle of Bordeaux Red for a few years. It somehow seems to be elusive - as if there's something to it that I've yet to winkle out.

I look forward to your future Review/s!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Congratulations on your first Ink Review! :clap1:

I've had a bottle of Bordeaux Red for a few years. It somehow seems to be elusive - as if there's something to it that I've yet to winkle out.

I look forward to your future Review/s!

Bye,

S1

Thank you! I cannot hope to reach your level of expertise, but you do inspire :notworthy1:

This ink definitely is not for everyone. Most people, I think, want a red that's vibrant and bold. This is a red with restraint. This red is kind of like a lover running up to meet you on a fall day, happy but breathless.

Something urged me to try this. I just *knew* it would work with this pen, which has been waiting for the right ink to come along. I realized last night I have a couple sheets of ivory G. Lalo somewhere..I may just add to this and scan it at work tomorrow.

There is, I promise you, a handful of je ne sais quoi here: don't give up on it.

I am using MB Burgundy Red as we speak in my Broad nib pen. Very nice color and the shading is great. I've noticed that it looks nicer in Broader nibs. I have yet to try it in my semi-flex pen.

True, it's much nicer in a wider nib. It needs room to breathe.

Thanks for the review. I have used this ink and its predecessor for many years in my 149 with a broad nib. It is dark enough for regular use and reasonably well-behaved. As far as I can tell, the new Austrian Burgundy Red ink is about the same as the old German Bordeaux. I just filled up a couple of Platinum Preppies with the two inks and they are very similar. Granted, my Bordeaux is from about 1991 (I have a lot of ink) and the Burgundy Red was opened today. The Burgundy Red smeared more, but that bottle of Bordeaux has been opened many times in the last 21 years; It is still about 1/3 full.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for the review. I have used this ink and its predecessor for many years in my 149 with a broad nib. It is dark enough for regular use and reasonably well-behaved. As far as I can tell, the new Austrian Burgundy Red ink is about the same as the old German Bordeaux. I just filled up a couple of Platinum Preppies with the two inks and they are very similar. Granted, my Bordeaux is from about 1991 (I have a lot of ink) and the Burgundy Red was opened today. The Burgundy Red smeared more, but that bottle of Bordeaux has been opened many times in the last 21 years; It is still about 1/3 full.

Thank you Frank!

Quite recently I bought Austria made Burgundy Red in this new bottle. I have not got to like the color despite filling

it in my pens of choice. I have Omas red that I find better

than Mont Blanc Burgundy Red.

For me the Sailor Grenade is the Red. What flow, what shading!

Quite recently I bought Austria made Burgundy Red in this new bottle. I have not got to like the color despite filling

it in my pens of choice. I have Omas red that I find better

than Mont Blanc Burgundy Red.

For me the Sailor Grenade is the Red. What flow, what shading!

The joy of Red, that there are so many to choose from! I've heard about the Grenade, I must try it.

I am using the MB Bordeaux now in a MB 149 14C M nib. Great flow, great color. It does appear much darkern than your top scan... could be my monitor however.

JC3

I am using the MB Bordeaux now in a MB 149 14C M nib. Great flow, great color. It does appear much darkern than your top scan... could be my monitor however.

It could also be my scan, which is just a phone pic. I really should re-do it. I am noticing that like a lot of inks, this one varies wildly depending on the nib. In my Philéas it looks like oxblood!

I do love this ink.

Nice review, and a nice ink! You're right, it would make a good Christmas ink. Especially if it smelled like mulled wine. :rolleyes:

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Nice review, and a nice ink! You're right, it would make a good Christmas ink. Especially if it smelled like mulled wine. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I bet De Atramentis has one like that, they have a vineyard of winey inks.

I would have to agree with Sunil Garg, Sailor Grenade is great! Grenade is the French word for pomegranate and it really is pomegranate color. I have Grenade, Epinard, and Amp-Iro in pens right now and I really like all of them.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

One of you should do up a review of the Grenade, there doesn't seem to be one here,,,

• 4 weeks later...

pretty nice burgundy red I like it, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time