Sac Fitting On 388 Conway Stewart

Love Pens

I have just bought 2 Conway Stewart 388 Fountain Pens

Both are in great condition but neither of them had a sac. Which I thought I could fix (easily!!!) eureka.gif as I have re sac ed a couple of pens previously.

Famous last words - the CS 388 appears to be different in that all the sections go together really well

- until you fit a sac,

then it is so tight to put the section with the nib into the barrel, that I feel it I push hard the

barrel part will split. I tried with a sac that was very small hoping that it would stretch thereby reducing the

bulk of the sac, but that did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resac these pens. Please! crybaby.gif

Plus any tips on connecting the bar that is suppose to be attached to the lever?

Love Pens - when they work.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Love Pens

• shrieku

• red52ripple

• Effin1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Love Pens,

I'm not sure why you're having such trouble with 388s. Certainly, it does have a bigger than average sac nipple, but there should still be adequate clearance to get the section into the barrel without touching the sac. Would it be possible to post a photo of your problem? To avoid cracking the barrel I always use dry heat when reassembling pens. A hair dryer will do.

If you look into the barrel, you will see that the underside of the lever has two lugs. The pressure bar slides on to them and is retained by the two raised slots. Lift the lever a little and slide the pressure bar in with needle-nosed pliers until you feel the lever grip as it passes over the raised slot.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

I'm baffled as well. I've just finished 8 CS's including 3 388's with no problems. Have you cleaned the nipple thoroughly? The nipple is smaller than the base of the section. Is the barrel clear of old sac?

post-92292-0-49776600-1352887623.jpg

Hi everyone,

well I have taken a photo of one of the nipples.

On 0008 it shows the nipple and the section.

0016 shows the sac on the nipple.

I am hoping you can see how it is ever so slightly thicker than the upper part of the section so making the barrel get stuck.

I was like Effin1 when I had only one CS 388 I also thought that the sac had rotted into the nipple but then

a "friend" gave me another 388 and would you believe the nipple is exactly the same.

Can it be possible that both pens from different places have the sac melted into the nipple?

I have cleaned out the barrel and removed the original Stewart Conway sac.on one of the

pens - very interesting. The other pen came without a sac at all.

What can I use to clean the nipple though - can I use turps on the nipple or is there something better?

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted and tried.

The tip about the heat worked great on another pen I had trouble with, so thankyou for your advice Red52ripple.

I am new at all this but am enjoying the challenge.

These pens will not beat megaah.gif ....will they post-92292-0-68571600-1352887086.jpg

thankyou for your time and assistance

bye for now

Love Pens

Edited by Love Pens

The sac size you have used is too small for this pen. As the thickness of the sac wall is the same for different sizez of sacs close to each other, you may as well use a more appropriate size.

In the pic you have posted, the sacced nipple appears to be just the same size as the section. I have recently resacced a CS388 and I did not face any problems. The likely reason could be that the old sac has remained stuck to the nipple and you have stuck the new sac onto it. I would suggest reheating the nipple/section with a hair-dryer, removing the new sac and then prising/filing out the remains of the old sac. Look at the nipple edge on and if there is the old sac remaining stuck, ou will likely see 2 layers. Just try prising it out even with your finger nail.

If there is no old sac, then try sticking the new sac slighlty below where the nipple joins the section. You will thus leave a small gap. Then use plenty of talc/soaa or even silicone grease to the sac part attached to the nipple, heat the open barrel end with hair-drye, and try sliding back in.. It is likely to work.

I had a similar problem with a Summit and what I explained above worked. But then that was a threaded section which complicates sac reinsertion

good luck and keep us posted.

notworthy1.gif

You were right...The previous sac had remained on the nipple and by applying heat I was able to

remove it. Amazing that on both the 388 the problem was the same.

I have learnt another 6 lessons tonight - Heat is a wonderful tool and it can be used,carefully on pens. Who would have thought!!

I also realise that The Fountain Pen Network is a wonderful resource.

thankyou so much for your help.

cloud9.gif

Love Pens - again

notworthy1.gif

You were right...The previous sac had remained on the nipple and by applying heat I was able to

remove it. Amazing that on both the 388 the problem was the same.

Glad your pen is sorted. The old sac remaining stuck on the nipple is a common occurrence. In fact that is the deafult presentation and it is less often the nipple is clean and free.

• 5 months later...

might i ask what was the right sac size for the 388 in the end? I broke my nib...(cap unscrewed itself,..pen fell into bag..etc etc...sad story) but I've managed to find nib/feed at a good price, jusst need to know sac size to fix it on !

Would appreciate help to revive my green marbled 388 :D

Hi Hsianloon, I did not actually write down what size sac I used (will do that in future) but it is either a 15 or 16

I use the Fountain Pen Sacs.com to buy the sacs and have had good results. Great service.

Good luck

All of the above reinforces my view that we should commence pen repair classes in Australia. Perhaps under the auspices of Melbourne Pen Show Inc, someone may step forward and volunteer to lead them.

Any willing volunteers?

I agree, a great idea - Pen repair classes would be wonderful unfortunately I am a very willing student but do not have enough experience to teach.

I know a couple of people who could do the job perfectly but are they willing to teach? Sign me up as a pupil for classes definitely.