Platinum 3776 Recelluloid

KarloT

I received a Platinum 3776 Celluoid yesterday in the Vac-pattern ringed celluloid. This is the Kuro Ringu (Black Ringed) variant. There was also a Cha Ringu (Brown Ringed) model which you can see here.

The feed appears to be ebonite so I think this may be an 80s production pen. (If anyone knows when Platinum stopped using ebonite feeds in regular production, please do share . :))

Nib is an 18k Medium and it seems to have more ornamentation than the regular 3776 resin pens. The decorative engraving is similar to what they put on the Nakaya nibs. Since this came from the nice people at Classic Fountain Pens Inc., the nib writes without incident. It is smooth but retains the typical Platinum feedback. Line width is about identical to the steel JoWo Fine on my Bexley, which makes this a winner for daily writing.

Here it is capped:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8181054810_400d3f791e.jpg">

And here it is with some other pens. From L to R : a Kamakura Pens (by Platinum) 3776 General Grant, a Parker Vac Major, the Kuro Ringu 3776 and a postwar Kamakura eyedropper.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8477/8181051266_2a310c5d2e.jpg">

Currently it's inked with Damson. I don't have any writing samples handy but I thought some might enjoy pics of this elusive Platinum celluloid variant.

ETA: According to this site, these may have been available as late as 1993.

Edited by KarloT

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarloT

• jde

• PenandDesign

• iamchum

Top Posters In This Topic

@KartoT Nice collection. The Kamakura LE Grant pen is gorgeous. Although I don't know when they stopped making them, I do love those Platinum ebonite feeds. I remember when Nibs.com or Nakaya posted these pens as no longer in production and selling them out. That was only a handful of years ago.

The best nibs, IMHO.

Cheers and congratulations on your acquisition! happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

The General Grant, the Vac and the postwar Kamakura pen all belong to FPN member LeighR. Nice pens they are.

The ebonite feed seems to lend a longer cap off time to the pen. Nice to have during long meetings and lectures.

omg I love the general grant

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

Rats... I was hoping this was a new pen that was still available.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Rats... I was hoping this was a new pen that was still available.

Dan

They do show up once in a while. There may not be nib choices available when they do but I can recommend this model to those who like vintage looks but prefer C/C filling systems.

Nice. Can't say I've ever seen this material on a Platinum - might have to keep an eye out.

I also periodically covet the red and white "koi" celluloid.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple