Kaweco Sepia / Earth Brown - Cartridges

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

As I do not wish to be dubbed 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', wee image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

≤|≥

Fidelity

• As there is no representation of this ink on the Kaweco site, fidelity of the ink used cannot be determined.
  • Wiki 'sepia colour' LINK.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK714_zpsd95edc14.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK713_zpsa3b27eea.jpg

L ➠ R: P99, 45, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: Left, HPJ1124. Right, Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK717_zps9ecbceb3.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK718_zpsa80196b0.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK719_zpse23109dd.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK720_zpsf5f73851.jpg

Figure 7.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK722_zpsf123d2f5.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/INK716_zps1ba2df02.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Short international cartridge only.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• When a well mannered cool Sepia is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As ever, I have trouble considering Brown for business correspondence, so typically suggest that the ink be run at high density to somewhat submerge the colour. In this case, a deliberate effort seems necessary to fit KS into business attire.
  • Should do well for personal work product, with a most enjoyable writing experience, good readability in the darker tones, and a fairly brisk read. The contrast might be a bit too low to support reading at length.
  • A good pick for dedicated forms work, and the odd bit of editing / mark-up.
  • Not enough zap for error correction / marking.
  • This might be the one Brown to keep handy if a high performance all-purpose brown might be needed unexpectedly, but only if a pen that accepts international cartridges is to hand.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• While perhaps a bit too cool to be a definitive Brown, it is not a strong colour, so may be used for charts & graphs to designate data[sets] of less than primary importance.
  • Line quality supports generating narrow lines, but saturation may be too low for tiny lines & labels.
  • For use as a watercolour, it is not a simple offering. There is an apparent shift to a warmer colour when diluted. We also have the interesting opportunity to rework the ink with water / wet media to generate a significant colour shift from Brown to a pale Aqua-Turquoise, not unlike Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, Post № 25

Students:

• As for Business use, if one has a pen that takes international cartridges to hand, then KS should fill impromptu requirements for a smattering of Brown ink.

Personal:

• Having next to no personal history with this ink, these can only be my early impressions . . .
  • Neither warm nor cool for a Brown ink, it is at risk of being without a strong defining characteristic: attractive but default-ish.
  • That said, the ink is malleable, so it is up to the wily practitioner to bring out the desired characteristics through deliberate choice of the accompanying pen+paper combo.
  • It seems suited to the shorter read, even though the pleasant writing experience might encourage one to write at length.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Generous.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• High.
  • A very smooth ink. :)
  • Lean enough to clearly convey feedback - even I can keep very narrow nibs running on their tiny sweet spot.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pens used):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples: LINK
  • All pen+paper combos could be used two-sided.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Not noticed whilst writing.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Soft.

Saturation:

• Moderate.
  • A crisp fully-inked line is within range.

Shading Potential:

• Rather low.
  • Needs encouragement.

Line quality:

• Typically high.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About as expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Slightly greater than expected.
    • Not unexpectedly, the arid laid surface of the G Lalo gave some iffy results.
    • If run from a dry-ish pen / onto a not so absorbent paper, base-tint of the paper will to be added to the ink's native colour.

[*]Malleability:

• Quite encouraging. :thumbup:
    • Even from a smaller range of samples than I usually work with, it seems the performance envelope is rather roomy, so there is merit to exploring this one quite a bit more. (Unfortunately not facilitated by the naughty_word cartridges.)
    • Pen+paper pairing can generate a subtle range of colours & tones.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are approximately 57x45mm.

All images are thumbnails.

P99 on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK723_zpsd2f13f4d.jpg

Prelude on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK724_zpsdf65abf2.jpg

45 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK725_zpsf23bf55d.jpg

Prelude on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK726_zpscfcd6bad.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Brown inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20review%20-%20KAWECO%20Sepia/th_INK715_zpsb1baab4a.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Herbin Café Des Îles, Diamine Chocolate, Omas Sepia, Waterman Havana aka 'Absolute Brown'.

KS is well under the radar, to the extent that it eluded inclusion in the astounding comparison of thirty-two Sepia inks by dcprich. LINK

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• All but the least absorbent.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are not so absorbent.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Quite impressive.
  • While there was a bit of show-through from the Prelude on the Staples 20lb as shown above, I consider two sided use is a reasonable expectation from pens of 'normal' wetness.
  • There was line-width gain (spreading) on the Staples which seemed a bit greater than usual, but line quality remained crisp.

Tinted Papers:

• Certainly.
  • Should do well on warm tints, perhaps up to Champagne; and at high density could handle a pale Powder Blue.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• More for appearance than performance.
  • If one pursues greater shading, the smooth coated papers such as Rhodia & Clairefontaine Triomphe are likely to be in the mix.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not quite.

Billets Doux?

• 'fraid not.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Parker 45 on HPJ1124.
  • This seems a very neutral choice, which seems to suit this rather neutral ink.
  • There is good balance between ink, pen & paper, with no component dominant.

Yickity Yackity:

• As ever, I am glad to have come across another Brown that is not so warm, and has plenty of playful potential.
  • Ah kushbaby, pity this is not available by the bottle.

======

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

• Written Samples:

B. Pelikan P99 Technixx + steel F nib

D. Parker 45 + steel M nib.

F. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub.

• Lines & labels:

Gate City EVERFLO™ Orchid from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.

Imaging:

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124:

• Red 153
  • Grn 93
  • Blu 90
  • Lum 104

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 KAWECO Sepia Earth Brown cartridge

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• Newjelan

• Bo Bo Olson

A wonderful (as usual) review of one of my old faves, mille grazie! :notworthy1: It is a shame that Kaweco's inks only come in cartridges, they are quite good.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

A wonderful (as usual) review of one of my old faves, mille grazie! :notworthy1: It is a shame that Kaweco's inks only come in cartridges, they are quite good.

Hi,

Prego Prego!

Many thanks for your kind words.

I'm not too sure what's up with the 'cartridge only' approach. Perhaps it is meant to appeal to those who use the Kaweco Sport pens. (?)

Then again, I rarely use cartridges, so am quite unaware of the demand for short int'l cartridges - to me they're just a back-up ink supply.

Bye,

S1

Off-Topic: It seems likely that this ink is produced & packaged by a non-Kaweco party [to specifications defined by Kaweco].

Edited by Sandy1

I remember reading the name Dr. Pflug of Aratrum being associated with Kaweco inks. There was once a site for Aratrum inks, with a colour set similar to Kaweco's, but it's gone now. Apparently the same source as for Caran d'Ache inks.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I recently used this in in my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with a B Gold nib. I used it in a Leuchtturm Journal which seems to enhance the shading property of inks. The colour is a rich, dark brown with incredible shading, it's stunning.

I recently used this in in my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with a B Gold nib. I used it in a Leuchtturm Journal which seems to enhance the shading property of inks. The colour is a rich, dark brown with incredible shading, it's stunning.

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with this ink, and for mentioning the pen+nib+paper combo. :thumbup:

Did you use the Leuchtturm that bears the 'Ink Proof' designation?

Bye,

S1

1352731226[/url]' post='2508579']
1352716990[/url]' post='2508497']

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with this ink, and for mentioning the pen+nib+paper combo. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Yes I did. I love the paper - the texture, colour and the brilliant shading effect. There's the occasional (minimal) bleed through but it's worth it IMO.

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Yes I did. I love the paper - the texture, colour and the brilliant shading effect. There's the occasional (minimal) bleed through but it's worth it IMO.

Hi,

Many thanks! :thumbup:

Now I know exactly what to gift a certain friend who does use a journal!

Bye,

S1

• 3 years later...

Well, when one don't take an online Safari but only hunt in High German Hunting seats.....it takes a few years for this ink to land in my B&M.

I only have two Sepias....both very different and different from this one. I have the old MB Sepia (1 1/2 bottles) my first 'brown' and R&K sepia.

This looks a bit like Herbin Lie de Tea.

I don't normally like cartridges....but it makes sense to by them for this...in I doubt I'd ever finish the bottle....with 50 bottles to finish before sundown. I have too many inks....and need to use up bottles of it first. So such cartridges can join my '90's Pelikan discontinued color ones, a few others.

I'll have to start using them.....or be buried in an avalanche.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, when one don't take an online Safari but only hunt in High German Hunting seats.....it takes a few years for this ink to land in my B&M.

I only have two Sepias....both very different and different from this one. I have the old MB Sepia (1 1/2 bottles) my first 'brown' and R&K sepia.

This looks a bit like Herbin Lie de Tea.

I don't normally like cartridges....but it makes sense to by them for this...in I doubt I'd ever finish the bottle....with 50 bottles to finish before sundown. I have too many inks....and need to use up bottles of it first. So such cartridges can join my '90's Pelikan discontinued color ones, a few others.

I'll have to start using them.....or be buried in an avalanche.

Hi,

I'm not much for cartridges for other than a on-the-fly back-up ink supply, but at the time of posting this Review, that was the only presentation of Kaweco inks.

Kaweco now offers Caramel Brown in bottles. Hence I believe this ink was discontinued, and superseded by Caramel Brown. That belief is also shared by Member Chrissy https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300446-ink-review-kaweco-caramel-brown/?p=3506271 and confirmed by the Wet Test: CBrn has no faint Aqua-Cyan remnant after exposure to water.

Bye,

S1