Higgins Eternal

mhphoto

Here's my review of the fantastic pointed pen calligraphy ink, Higgins Eternal. Many calligraphers love this ink and consider it a staple of every ink cabinet. I've found myself in complete agreeance with them. :D

Now, to be clear this isn't really a fountain pen ink, even though it's advertised as "fountain pen safe". Even though it spent three days in a Noodler's Flex pen and functioned without a hitch (not even leaving any solid residue behind when I cleaned, as India and Sumi ink tend to do with dip nibs), I certainly would chance putting this is a more expensive fountain pen, especially because there are many darker and more permanent inks out there designed for fountain pens.

Anywho, on to the review!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalPensUsed.jpg

I messed up the Ts' crosses.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalGillott.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalComparisons.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/HigginsEternalShading.jpg

If you're thinking of getting into dip nib calligraphy, this ink is a must try. And it is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! :thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• ink mixer

• notbob

• DanF

Very interesting review, mh, specially as I jes ordered my first bottle. I have one question, which is, why didn't the 303 shade while the FPs did not? I notice both the 303 and the glass pen showed little or no shading. Might this be because those two pens are such wet writers? I ask out of plain ignorance, having no experience with either dip or glass pens, so far.

nulla dies sine linea

Very interesting review, mh, specially as I jes ordered my first bottle. I have one question, which is, why didn't the 303 shade while the FPs did not? I notice both the 303 and the glass pen showed little or no shading. Might this be because those two pens are such wet writers? I ask out of plain ignorance, having no experience with either dip or glass pens, so far.

You nailed it! ;) The regular fountain pen flex nib drags a thin sheet over the page until you lift up, at which point it deposits a good deal of ink at the bottom of the stroke, some of which travels upwards toward the beginning of the stroke. But the 303 and glass nib have much more ink to work with and really pile it on as they travel along their way (especially the 303), so my the time the nib snaps back and leaves a bit of ink at the end of the stroke, there's already enough ink to carry that ending ink upwards and even the whole stroke out. :)

Sorry for the newbie question, but is there way to get dip pen nibs to shade without attaching a feed to them?

It really depends on what nib you're using. With nibs like the Gillott 303, Hunt 102, and Brause 66EF, it would be harder to get shading out of because of how darn easy they are to flex, and how thin the hairlines are. But with nibs that are stiffer and have a broader point, it would be easier to coax some shading out. But in the end I'd venture to guess that most dip nibs are just naturally too wet of writers (what with the ink right there above the point with no obstacles like a feed to slow it down) to get as much shading as a good flex nib fountain pen. :)

Thanks for the review. I've only tried it in my dip pen, even though it says that it is safe for fountain pens. Maybe I'll test it out in a cheap Noodler's or Hero pen to see how it behaves.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Sorry for the newbie question, but is there way to get dip pen nibs to shade without attaching a feed to them?

It really depends on what nib you're using. With nibs like the Gillott 303, Hunt 102, and Brause 66EF, it would be harder to get shading out of because of how darn easy they are to flex, and how thin the hairlines are. But with nibs that are stiffer and have a broader point, it would be easier to coax some shading out. But in the end I'd venture to guess that most dip nibs are just naturally too wet of writers (what with the ink right there above the point with no obstacles like a feed to slow it down) to get as much shading as a good flex nib fountain pen. :)

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind the fuss of dip nibs, but it would be nice to get the shading look without having to clean out a fountain pen. I suppose at some point I will have to practice making wax feeds or carving my own out of ebonite.

I'm noticing a bit of unevenness of the edges with the dip pen. Does that happen every time? John Neal recommends adding gum arabic to Higgins Eternal for pointed nibs, but I've been wondering whether I actually needed it. I have used Higgins for both pointed and broad-edged nibs before, but that was a while ago and I can't remember how it performed. I do remember that it bled easily though, and wrinkled my 90g Clairefontaine paper.

I'm noticing a bit of unevenness of the edges with the dip pen. Does that happen every time? John Neal recommends adding gum arabic to Higgins Eternal for pointed nibs, but I've been wondering whether I actually needed it. I have used Higgins for both pointed and broad-edged nibs before, but that was a while ago and I can't remember how it performed. I do remember that it bled easily though, and wrinkled my 90g Clairefontaine paper.

I've been meaning to separate a small bit of Higgins to experiment with GA to see if it would help behavior (though I certainly wouldn't call it poorly behaved as it is). I'll get back to you when I get around to testing it. :)

Dip nibs with stub tips like the Esterbrook 314 often shade nicely, depending upon the ink of course.

A lot of the calligraphy folks still add a little gum arabic to the Higgins Eternal ink. If nothing else, it gives you more words per dip by virtue of limiting the flow. I think pointed pens ten to show more feathering because they actually scratch the paper surface, giving ink access to the slightly damaged fibers.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

This is a very nice thread. I've learned a lot.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ah, great thread guys! Thank you.

Just got my first bottle of Higgers and found it feathering a lot even on 100gsm paper. Gonna add some GA and see how she performs then!

Again, Thank you!

I do remember that it bled easily though, and wrinkled my 90g Clairefontaine paper.

Really? Yikes! I jes received some HE and Clairefontaine Triomphe paper to learn all things pointy. JNB says Michael Sull "highly recommends" Clairefontaine for Spencerian, as well as JNB recommending HE for copperplate. Are you sure you're talking about the right paper (I haven't inked up, yet)? If so, which paper did you finally settle on to resolve the problem? Or was it the ink? I also bought some Wayne & Newton (or is that Mr Las Vegas?) Calligraphy ink and some iron gall ink. Got gum, too. Do I gotta getta different paper, now? Sheesh! My 6mm PPPs don't even bleed through CF paper. What's left? 120 g CF Kalligraphie pads @ $.50 sheet!?

I'm almost bust on my budget and have yet to lay down a single stroke. Maybe I can dig out my step ladder and use the roof as a tilted writing surface. ;)

nulla dies sine linea