Sketching Using The Hero 395

subramaniyam

Hello folks,

I drew this cathedral using the Hero 395 filled with Parker Quink. We have a power outage every day for two hours so I go to a park and sketch until the power is restored. Took me about 6 hours (3 days). Hope you all like it:-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Edited by subramaniyam

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subramaniyam

• ethernautrix

• mhguda

• Pterodactylus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed, a lot of work and very, very nicely done.

Did you use two colours of ink or is the Hero versatile enough that you can control the ink flow to make shades of gray as well as black? I ask because I use an Esterbrook with a #2048 nib for my drawings and can get as many as 6 variations of one colour depending on how heavy or lightly I use the pen.

I'm always looking for pens to add to my drawing repertoire.

Edit: spelling goof.

Edited by myn

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

We have a power outage every day for two hours

just curious, is this something done intentionally to save power, or unintentional?

Love the sketch! :thumbup:

"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

Thanks you for your comments. The pen is quite versatile, although I had to tune the nib a bit with 1000 sandpaper. Only a single ink was used for the drawing. Since the nib is quite flexible, I can have a couple of variations in ink shades. Also, the paper is 15-year old cartridge paper that I bound into a pocket sketchbook myself. This could also contribute to the color variation since multiple passes result in a dark black when compared to a gray-black from a single pass.

The power cut is a government regulation here. Our situation is pretty bad, since some areas have outages of 10 hrs every day. :-)

Once again, thanks for looking!!!! :-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Hooray! Another thread to *favorite*!

Love it. I especially like the cathedral. I will study it so that I can improve my own drawring.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

beautiful sketches Subramaniyam. Look forward to seeing more.

Thank you Pelman... Of course there will be more...I am glad you liked them

Hooray! Another thread to *favorite*!

Love it. I especially like the cathedral. I will study it so that I can improve my own drawring.

Thank you ethernautrix. I am glad you liked them. As far as 'studying' my sketch.. well its just a cheap yet elegant pen with a good nib...and the ink is also really cheap and not high quality as it is prone to bleeding. would someday like to try out some nice inks with a flexible nib pen... But I am still happy with the results. The key is to practise and get the proportion right. Recent sketches took me only 1 hour to complete. And I usually avoid long and hard strokes to prevent the bleeding. The paper I use is 'recycled' from an old cartridge sketching book that I cut and bound into a journal, approx. A5 size so I can carry it around. I have no access to waterproof inks so extra care is required to preserve the sketches from moisture.:-)

Just went through your pen and ink album on flickr... Absolutely spellbinding photography.. I hope in the future I will be able to own at least one pen like that.. :-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Edited by subramaniyam

Thank you ethernautrix. I am glad you liked them. As far as 'studying' my sketch.. well its just a cheap yet elegant pen with a good nib...and the ink is also really cheap and not high quality as it is prone to bleeding. would someday like to try out some nice inks with a flexible nib pen... But I am still happy with the results. The key is to practise and get the proportion right. Recent sketches took me only 1 hour to complete. And I usually avoid long and hard strokes to prevent the bleeding. The paper I use is 'recycled' from an old cartridge sketching book that I cut and bound into a journal, approx. A5 size so I can carry it around. I have no access to waterproof inks so extra care is required to preserve the sketches from moisture.:-)

Just went through your pen and ink album on flickr... Absolutely spellbinding photography.. I hope in the future I will be able to own at least one pen like that.. :-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Thank you, Subramaniyam.

Okay now... brace yourself. This is my first quick sketch of your sketch. You know everything you said about practicing and getting the proportion right? I'm still working on the practicing part. :-)

This is about actual size, and I used very nice pens, which is funny, because your drawings are so much better with a Hero than mine with a Nakaya. Ha ha ha! But it is fun.

So... don't be too horrified. :-D

fpn_1351877511__it-20121101_cathedral_sketch.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Today's special....Panthera tigris....

Nice!

I'm not ready for animals or people. Still practicing buildings. :-)

THat is beautiful. I love the background, which looks like a traditional japanese motif. I bet this would make a great block print. :-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

THat is beautiful. I love the background, which looks like a traditional japanese motif. I bet this would make a great block print. :-)

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Very kind of you, Subramaniyam. Thank you.

I like block prints! Probably why I make thick black lines. :-)

Looking forward to seeing more of your art.

Lisa

etherX in To Miasto

I have always been fascinated by the temple architecture in India. Did a small sketch of the Jagannath temple in Orissa yesterday. Hope you like it.

Regards,

Subramaniyam

Wow, Subramaniyam! I can almost spell your name without looking at it! :-)

I love your sketch of the Jagannath temple! I really need to practice more.

etherX in To Miasto

Thank you ethernautrix!!! :-)

Another sketch of an 'angry' Panthera tigris. I'm down with an insect bite so kinda took some work getting this done.. :-) Hope you like it.

Regards,

Subramaniyam