Noodler's Benevolent Badger Blue

Sandy1

☞ For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

☞ As I do not wish to earn the handle 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', wee image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

☀❘❘☀

Please Note: A portion of the sales will be donated on behalf of Badgerandblade dot com to the Sue Moore Memorial Fund of Susan G Komen For the Cure. LINK

Fidelity

I was unable to find an 'official' depiction of this ink, so fidelity of the ink shown here cannot be determined. (Hello online shoppers!)

Please note: I give all Noodler's inks of their 'bulletproof' family an almighty shaking prior to use, wait for the froth to subside and the ink to return to ambient temperature, then charge the pen.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK592_zpse7fb543a.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK591_zps016fb3a0.jpg

L ➠ R: 45, P99, 1745, PPP, Prelude,
Carene

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK596_zps05d88623.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK597_zps25938ab3.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK598_zpsebeb268f.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK599_zpsdb8f9d26.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK600_zps2118a30a.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK604_zps66e7f717.jpg - - -

Comparison Exemplars - Blue inks.

Figure 9.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK602_zpsa8f70ea2.jpg

Figure 10.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK603_zps588135d9.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 11.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK594_zps7d4f31c0.jpg

Figure 12.

Extended Wet Test. :thumbup:

Paper: Arches.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/INK595a_zps0b240f0b.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• One of Noodler's family of 'bulletproof' fountain pen inks.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.
  • Exclusive to West Coast Shaving. LINK

Daily writer?

• Quite possible.

A go-to ink?

• When a robust attractive Blue-Black is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Very well suited to all manner of typical business correspondence that require more gravitas than animation.
  • Should a more convivial animated ink be desired, (I can't imagine when), an ink such as Montblanc Royal Blue might be kept in reserve.
  • A good choice for personal work product, including marginalia.
  • Unlikely to be mimicked by BP/RB implements.
  • Typically a bit too dark for working on material that is printed in Black, so I'd pick another ink for dedicated forms work, charting, etc. That said, one may use a drier writer or dilute the ink to achieve the desired tone.
  • Not enough zip mark-up and editing.
  • Not enough zap for grading or marking.

Illustrations / Graphics

• Density and chroma are a bit too low to be used as a definitive Dark Blue, and not quite low enough to be substitute for Black.
  • For watercolour work, NBBBl is highly likely to be useful for foundation lines / blocking that may be over worked - no ink came adrift when wet, even when lightly sponged. :clap1:

Students:

• High readability, resistance to potable fluids, and strong performance on 'lowest bidder' paper combine to make this ink quite attractive, though nib tip dry-out may be problematic for stop-start writing. (Please chime in.)

Personal:

• Of course!
  • The appearance and performance of NBBBl are certainly attractive for those who use 'business appropriate' inks for personal writing.
  • Though at times I prefer an ink that will smudge / fade for pro forma personal business writing, NBBBl suits all manner of bumph.
  • As it comes from a very appealing starting point, and embraces a wide range of pen+paper combos, one can alter the appearance to a fair extent.
  • As with most darker inks, I prefer a nib wide enough to show-off the colour and boost the shading.
  • There is not so much shading potential that use of shaped nibs would give an over-active or jumbled result; and the line quality should support use of quite narrow nibs.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Please Note: I encourage those who may consider purchasing this ink to read all available Review threads; and I have included some links to the 09-Jan-12 Review by Signum1 LINK.

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-out:

• Tips became dry much sooner than expected - faster even than some iron-gall inks.
  • Virga is evident on some of the leading 'f' characters in 'freighted'.
  • Ink in the feed was ready to go.

Start-up:

• Low confidence due to nib tip dry-out.
  • One may choose to 'nudge' the nib prior to writing.

Lubricity:

• Very nice.

Nib Creep:

• Minor.
  • A pet peeve of mine - less welcome than stubble.
  • Might pose a maintenance challenge for pens with a hooded nib. >> Please chime in.

Staining (pen): *

• Yes - the translucent feed of the PPP was stained. :crybaby:
    • Use of a solution of dilute surfactant+ammonia had no effect. Fingers crossed that cleaning fluid for draughting pens will set things aright.

[*]No other pens or their parts remained visibly stained after cleansing.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Other Members previously reported clogging/skipping:

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples: LINK
  • All pens on the Royal.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Insignificant.
  • See Hi-Res image of the Carene on Royal below.

Aroma:

• Slightly sharp on the nose with lingering round notes.
  • Barely noticed whilst writing.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Perhaps - see LHS of PPP on Rhodia (circled).

Clean-Up (pen): *

• Use of a solution containing surfactant plus dilute ammonia was necessary to cleanse the pens.

Mixing:

• Discouraged. **
  • Dilution with [distilled] water is certainly a viable & attractive option, which I may pursue as time & tides permit.

Archival:

• Claimed, though there are no standards to determine if an FP ink is archival.

Water Resistance:

• One of the best I've seen to date. :)
  • NBBBl should withstand over-working with highlighters and common graphic arts media.
  • I leave extensive profiling of its resistance to more aggressive lab/industrial materials to those who are so inclined, and can put their results in a practical context, though I gave it a spin in the cyclotron with no ill effects.

Smear / Dry Times:

• Indeterminate.
  • YMMV.

__ __ __

* Staining & Clean-up:

• As is my practice with a new ink, all pens' parts in contact with ink were given a thorough water flush, a short soak, another flush, then treated with a dilute ammonia+surfactant solution. The pens used here released additional stuff into the chemical wash, which is certainly not the norm for recently charged pens, yet was also experienced with simple dye-based inks, such as Visconti Purple and the recently discontinued 'black box' OMAS Blue.
  • I consider bulletproof inks to require higher maintenance than simple dye-based inks.
  • Pens should be scrupulously clean before charging, and thoroughly cleansed after use.
  • Internals of caps & barrels should be washed, and the pen disassembled to the extent that one is confident that it can be re-assembled. e.g. Remove nib from section of Parker 45s, detach Lamy Safari nib from feed, take the Ahab to bits.
  • I suggest cleansing a pen when one is done writing, and avoid letting ink linger in an unused pen.
  • Some practitioners are reluctant to use such inks in pens which are inherently tedious to remove the last vestiges of ink, or choose not to subject pens to chemical treatment. e.g. Platinum President Purists, Vacumatics, Snorkies.
  • Nib creep might pose a maintenance challenge for pens with a hooded nib. >> Please chime in.
  • See also Post № 44 LINK

** Mixing:

• Mixing with other Noodler's bulletproof inks has a good chance of success; mixing with dye-based inks is iffy and may degrade the ink's robust properties.
  • Even though I have mixed such inks with both iron-gall inks and nano-particle inks and have gotten away with it a few times, results are too often unusable - to the extent that the well-being of a pen is threatened - with much time wasted, and little upside potential other than satisfying one's curiosity or acting-out OC desires.
  • Such mixes are more likely to find their way to the cubby where the dip pen inks hang out rather than inside my PFM.

THE LOOK

NBBBl does not have the chalky appearance of some other Noodler's bulletproof inks.

Presence:

• Pliable firmness.

Saturation:

• Moderate.
  • A fully inked line may be achieved.

Shading Potential:

• Low.

Line quality:

• Quite good.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Just a bit less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Low, but satisfying.
    • The more I use the bulletproof inks, I become accustomed to their predictability which keeps the inks' appearance within a fairly narrow range. That characteristic enhances the usefulness of NBBBl as a daily writer ink.
    • That said, the Written Samples indicate potential to manipulate the ink, which is supported by its performance profile.
    • Should the wily practitioner choose to explore the outer reaches, a deliberate choice of pen+paper combo seems to be required, and may be well rewarded.

__ __ __

Pens:

• Noodler's offers suggestions as to their preferred nib set-up. LINK
  • As ever, I do not cherry pick or adjust the pens used in a Review to match an ink: I prefer a representative array of common pens.
  • I believe the results shown here indicate that it is not necessary to use an unusual nib set-up, which is a good thing.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 60x30mm.

All are thumbnails.

45 on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK605_zpsdbc6d65d.jpg

1745 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK606_zps8f6c3d75.jpg

PPP on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK607_zpsd605feef.jpg

Carene on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK609_zps50690d42.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of both Blue-Black and Blue inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Benevolent%20Badger%20Blue/th_INK593_zps114ac596.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Parker Quink Blue-Black, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, Montblanc Midnight Blue I-G, Organics Studio Manganate V.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• All but those with a soft surface or fuzzy texture.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those with a soft surface or fuzzy texture.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Impressive results. :thumbup:
  • Managed all pens; and suppressed bleed- show-through so that two-sided use is a reasonable expectation.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Perhaps if one seeks to wring-out the last drop of shading potential. (See you there!)

ETC.

Majik:

• Definitely - finding a cure for breast cancer would be Majik of the highest order indeed.

Billets Doux?

• Unlikely.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Reform 1745 on the HPJ1124.
  • I am most attracted to the somewhat paler tone of the ink which shows-off the soft low-chroma colour. The narrow nib gives a bit low % coverage, which emphasises the lightness on the page.
  • The HPJ does Journeyman's work, bringing a slightly cool bright base-tint which provides just enough separation from the soft ink - no cosseting.

Yickity Yackity:

• Another ink that won't come off the rails, and gives a pleasing range of results - at least for those who enjoy Blue-Black inks.
  • NBBBl is the third of three Blue-Black inks which I received as a most generous and unexpected gift. It will not only be a pleasure to write just about anyone using this ink, but to address the envelopes bound for destinations with heavy rain fall or high tides.
  • Should I cast about for c/c pens to use on a dedicated basis with this ink?
  • Ah kushbaby, can there ever be too many Blue-Black inks?

======

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

• Written Samples:

A. Parker 45 + 14K XF nib.

B. Pelikan P99 Technixx + steel F nib.

C. Reform 1745 + two-tone steel nib.

D. Platinum President Purist + 22K B nib.

E. Sheaffer Prelude + mono-tone plain steel B nib.

F. Waterman Carene + 18K factory stock Stub.

-- Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib.

• Lines & labels:

OMAS Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo: Verge de France, natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.
  • Arches: watercolour, 100% cotton, cold press, white, ISO 9670 compliant, 185gsm. Soaked ten minutes, sponged, then dried.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124

• R 113
  • G 144
  • B 165
  • L 142

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Noodler's Benevolent Badger Blue Noodlers Blue Black Blue-Black BlBk

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• The Good Captain

• Yoda4561

• genevaroth

Very nice review.

I bought Benevolent Badger as soon as I heard about it, and have been using it in my Stipula FPN LE for all check writing. It has been a bit hard to start after sitting a few days, but a slight twist of the converter fixes that.

I was very happy with this ink until...... I tried some Noodlers (Dromgoole's exclusive) Texas Bluebonnet. Similar proprties, but I like the darker color of the Bluebonnet.

Thanks for another great rview!

Very nice review.

I bought Benevolent Badger as soon as I heard about it, and have been using it in my Stipula FPN LE for all check writing. It has been a bit hard to start after sitting a few days, but a slight twist of the converter fixes that.

I was very happy with this ink until...... I tried some Noodlers (Dromgoole's exclusive) Texas Bluebonnet. Similar proprties, but I like the darker color of the Bluebonnet.

Thanks for another great rview!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for your kind words, and sharing your experience with this ink. :thumbup:

I am not surprised that you experienced a hard start-up after the pen sat idle for 'a few days'.

If I were to keep NBBBL in a pen that sees only occasional use, I'd reach for one with a very tight threaded cap, such as a Pilot Penmanship or Plumix. IIRC Platinum also has pens specifically designed to avoid dry-out.

Unfortunately, I have not used the Dromgoole inks, apparently due to their reluctance to undertake export formalities. Perhaps the next time I'm stateside for more than a few days I'll ask them to send a few bottles to my temporary address if it has USPS sevice.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I'm impressed by the water tests, it reminds me of the color of Bad Belted Kingfisher but fully waterproof. Would you mind doing one more test? Apply a thin layer of ink to some plastic or aluminum foil, and let it dry overnight. Then run it under the tap to see if the majority of the ink flushes off with only water, or if it dries waterproof. Blue Heron and Kung Te Chung dry waterproof and the rest of the bulletproofs I've tried will wash off easily. I've found KTC and BBH to be prone to hard starting in some pens after a few days=weeks when some of the ink has dried around the nib and feed.

I'm impressed by the water tests, it reminds me of the color of Bad Belted Kingfisher but fully waterproof. Would you mind doing one more test? Apply a thin layer of ink to some plastic or aluminum foil, and let it dry overnight. Then run it under the tap to see if the majority of the ink flushes off with only water, or if it dries waterproof. Blue Heron and Kung Te Chung dry waterproof and the rest of the bulletproofs I've tried will wash off easily. I've found KTC and BBH to be prone to hard starting in some pens after a few days=weeks when some of the ink has dried around the nib and feed.

Hi,

I should be able to do a simple wet test on the materials mentioned.

I have the impression that NBBBl has more properties in common with Noodler's Kung Te Chung, less with their Bad Belted Kingfisher (??) I have yet to run those inks through my review process, though both are on the To Do List, but rather far down: perhaps if we can keep the Zombies at bay until 2014 . . .

Bye,

S1

Yep, while I love kingfisher's color, its water resistance leaves much to be desired. As a security ink it's fine, for addressing envelopes, I wouldn't. If someone is comfortable using non-waterproof FP ink it would be okay there too I guess.

Sandy,

I always love your ink reviews. This one is no exception because... Wait for it... You can't have too many blue backs! ;)

John

Great review as always but I shall curb my exuberance to purchase it as it's not one that can be bought at a reasonable price in GB.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

And besides, there's a bit of a moot point about the benevolence of badgers here at all. Something about the possibility of TB etc.

The Good Captain

Sandy,

I always love your ink reviews. This one is no exception because... Wait for it... You can't have too many blue backs! ;)

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words! :)

Bye,

S1

Great review as always but I shall curb my exuberance to purchase it as it's not one that can be bought at a reasonable price in GB.

Hi,

Thanks for your compliment!

Even though I decline to address matters of cost - the price tag being on the outside of the bottle - for the sake of clarity I will make an exception in this case.

• The ink comes in the typical Noodler's bottle, filled to the gunnels, containing approximately 100ml.
  • The FOB price in the USA is USD12.50.
  • To send a single bottle to the UK via First Class post costs USD8.46.

Bye,

S1

And besides, there's a bit of a moot point about the benevolence of badgers here at all. Something about the possibility of TB etc.

Hi,

The point is not moot, rather the proposal to cull wild badgers in the UK is yet to be enacted:

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

The point is not moot, rather the proposal to cull wild badgers in the UK is yet to be enacted:

Bye,

S1

My original comment was meant just as a bit of humour. I quite like badgers and we have one or two that creep around the back garden sometimes. Also, my beard is vaguely similar to their colouring and pattern now! However, I don't keep cattle so the problems that can be linked to them and the methods of dealing with them are really outside the scope etc of FPN.

Back to the ink. Would you say it was similar to the 'interesting' "Prime of the Commons"? I have some of this and think that it certainly has its uses even though it is a bit of a bleeder on certain papers.

The Good Captain

Hi,

snip

Bye,

S1

My original comment was meant just as a bit of humour. I quite like badgers and we have one or two that creep around the back garden sometimes. Also, my beard is vaguely similar to their colouring and pattern now! However, I don't keep cattle so the problems that can be linked to them and the methods of dealing with them are really outside the scope etc of FPN.

Back to the ink. Would you say it was similar to the 'interesting' "Prime of the Commons"? I have some of this and think that it certainly has its uses even though it is a bit of a bleeder on certain papers.

Hi,

I had a small international cartridge of NPotC, (a make-shift sample), and quickly found it had too much of a Green-Teal aspect to it for my taste at the time. I did not run any 'performance' samples or retain any swabs or written samples, which gives some idea of what I thought of the ink - a resounding 'not for me.'

I have no idea what became of the UK series of Noodler's inks - likely a Topic better suited to the Inky Thoughts Forum. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

You forgot to mention the fantastic artwork on the label, courtesy of my daughter. :happyberet:

Hi,

A thousand apologies!!

The art work is brilliant! :clap1:

I certainly hope that your daughter will be commissioned to provide the bottle label art for more of Noodler's inks in the future.

Bye,

S1

I love this ink- received it in the morning, by the afternoon- the 6 other non-noodlers bottles of ink were in the garbage.

Great review - I think that pictures do not do this ink justice, its just a great color- I even like the smell.

I love this ink- received it in the morning, by the afternoon- the 6 other non-noodlers bottles of ink were in the garbage.

Great review - I think that pictures do not do this ink justice, its just a great color- I even like the smell.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your experience with this ink. :thumbup:

Indeed, pixels on a monitor do not convey the full impact of an ink on paper. I try to bridge that gap with my chatter, but know that will also fall short.

As ever, I consider other Members' replies to be an essential part of the review process, so please let us know what aspects of the ink are not portrayed in the Review; and feel free to add photos, scans, etc.

more pens + more paper + more people =

:bunny01:

Bye,

S1

I tried taking a couple snaps of this a while ago and same thing- it didn't turn out.

Maybe I would describe it as a dark blue gunmetal.... it just kind of reminds of of a dark bluing job I had once on a pistol. Flows very well in my Ahab.

But thanks for putting in the work and showcasing this ink- its a great product, and from a company that is doing something that no one else is, and made in the USA to boot- that really resonates with me.

I tried taking a couple snaps of this a while ago and same thing- it didn't turn out.

Maybe I would describe it as a dark blue gunmetal.... it just kind of reminds of of a dark bluing job I had once on a pistol. Flows very well in my Ahab.

But thanks for putting in the work and showcasing this ink- its a great product, and from a company that is doing something that no one else is, and made in the USA to boot- that really resonates with me.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for trying to get some photos of your ink.

(I know just enough about photography to stay with the scanner.)

Now that I've had the time to look at the samples again, I agree that there is some resonance with the appearance of the worn bluing of an older revolver which has spent some time being carried in a leather holster. (Wiki 'Bluing' LINK)

Not that NBBBl has a metallic aspect, more that there is something reminiscent of a patina, especially when the ink is pale.

Bye,

S1