Please read: Security leak (fixed currently)

Admin

Dearest Members of our Fountain Pen Nut House,

Due to a security leak in the board software, someone injected a link to a phishing scam site into a message here, in order to collect member ids and passwords. Essentially, upon entering one of two specific topics, an error screen was brought up indicating there was an error, asking to re-enter member id and password, on a rather badly designed login type page, with the error message above it.

The leak has been fixed by Invision, and the fix was installed, and a bunch of other security measures executed such as deep level file scans on the server. However, there may be more topics compromised, we don't know yet. If you do encounter such a topic, please report it directly to our admin "wimg", backchannel. He will deal with these issues, if there still are any.

We suggest you all select a different skin than the default one, and actually we have done so for you already. All IPB Default skins have been reset to Vault. This makes the scam extremely recognizable, as it is done in the IP Board default skin - to get a screen from a different skin for error and other messages than the one in use is impossible.

We also suggest that anybody having used a misformed login screen upon encountering this error to change their passwords asap. There can't have been many people who would have been caught, as this was fortunately caught very early on. There are likely no more than 5 or 6 members at most who could have fallen into this trap, we believe, based on views of these two topics, and only if they did re-enter their passwords of course. The miscreant on this site who did this has been dealt with as well.

We are working with INvision to see if there are other measures to be taken, and we will keep you informed.

Warm regards,

The FPN Admin Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• inkstainedruth

• WOBentley

• tinta

Thanks FPN! Love this place.

"And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do, I don't mind. Why should i be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it - you've got to go sometime"

- Gerry O'Driscoll, Abbey Road Studios janitorial "browncoat"

Whether rich or poor, or suit or not, we all like fountain pens alot! - MTS2

Thank you for dealing with this so quickly and for keeping this place up and running!

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Many thanks for doing all you can to keep us safe. :thumbup:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Keep up the good work!

Rotring core, Pelikan Pelikano School, Ohto tasche, Parker frontier, Duke carbon fibre, Hero 3266, Duke 962, Baoer 508, Parker 25, Parker Arrow

Well, all is fixed again, we have re-enabled the 3 topics involved.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thank you!!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

thanks for the quick actions and watching over us and our safety. :thumbup: feels very comfortable. A dance for you all :bunny01:

Happy Writing!, Mainecoon

Dreams are presentiments of what you are able to accomplish (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

I was wondering why my screen looked so different! I am glad that I could find the notice of the problem and why my screen looks this way. And thanks for being on top of this phishing. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the prompt action to fix any security issues! It's reassuring to know that FPN takes security measures seriously.

Thank You So Much Wim!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?