Pilot Myu Repair

scutterdav

I scored an amazing deal from an antique store in Hong Kong on a black striped Pilot MYU. The pen is in remarkably good condition on the outside with only a couple of small scratches around the nib. When I bought it, I thought all it would need was a good rinsing to get out the old ink, but there seems to be something completely blocking the feed so that there's no ink flow at all. An overnight soak didn't improve matters.

I've tried to remove the feed, but the thing doesn't budge. Is it glued in place or does it screw in? I assumed it was friction fit. Anyone ever removed the feed on one of these things? I sure could use some guidance.

Edited by scutterdav

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scutterdav

• Dillo

• studiohead

• Yoda4561

My guess is someone put india ink in it or something. Try to find a dedicated pen flushing solution before trying to force anything apart on the pen. I'm not sure what's available in Hong Kong, Technical Pen cleaner/Rapido-eze would be my first pick, household ammonia if you can't find that.

Read down the recent thread about Elites. What did you try to do? It has to come out from the inside, where you have to go around unscrewing things, so if you were trying to go the other way, I don't see what there would be to grab.

As for unscrewing the little plastic cartridge opener, either don't try or be really careful if you don't have a good tool. After that, don't lose any little plastic seals. And remember the order. Yeah, try pen cleaner and/or ultrasonic cleaning first.

There's a little metal section that unscrews and lets you pop the little friction points. That part's easy. From there it looks like you might be able to push the feed from the front and it would just pop out the back. But based the Pilot Elite thread (specifically posts 10 and 14), it sounds like you need special tools to disassemble the feed assembly. I definitely don't want to go down that route. I'll try to get my hands on some pen cleaner.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by scutterdav

Well, a soak and an ultrasonic cleaner will help. Be careful in the length of time in the ammonia water. Pilot still services the Myu 701, when I was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, they did some adjustments for 1,050 Yen per pen excluding missing parts including cleaning. (At pilot Pen Station) I got 2 of my Myu restored to perfect working condition, they said I can send my Pilot pens through the local office in Singapore. Seriously considering as I got another 2 which need work as the inner cap is slightly loose from Eurobox. If you are still in Hong Kong, you can pick up an ultrasonic cleaner from Apliu street near Sham Shui Po MTR station for about 180 Hong Kong Dollars. (Or less if you can bargain) That should surely solve the issue but you need to go slow as I find it is a multi day process to clean and restore a Myu 701 because of the age.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

<snip> An overnight soak didn't improve matters.

I've tried to remove the feed, but the thing doesn't budge. Is it glued in place or does it screw in? I assumed it was friction fit. Anyone ever removed the feed on one of these things? I sure could use some guidance.

Check out what one of the master repair guys says: Rapido-Eze

(I've used it too!)

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Well, a soak and an ultrasonic cleaner will help. Be careful in the length of time in the ammonia water. Pilot still services the Myu 701, when I was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, they did some adjustments for 1,050 Yen per pen excluding missing parts including cleaning. (At pilot Pen Station) I got 2 of my Myu restored to perfect working condition, they said I can send my Pilot pens through the local office in Singapore. Seriously considering as I got another 2 which need work as the inner cap is slightly loose from Eurobox. If you are still in Hong Kong, you can pick up an ultrasonic cleaner from Apliu street near Sham Shui Po MTR station for about 180 Hong Kong Dollars. (Or less if you can bargain) That should surely solve the issue but you need to go slow as I find it is a multi day process to clean and restore a Myu 701 because of the age.

I'm not in Hong Kong anymore, but thanks for the directions. I would have definitely spent 180 HKD for an ultrasonic cleaner....or maybe less because I'm pretty good at bargaining ;)

In Singapore, could they fix it right there or do they ship it to Japan to be serviced? I'll be in Singapore soon but only for a few days so I won't have time if they send the pen to Japan. Do you know where I could get Rapido-Eze or something similar in Singapore?

Singapore will be pretty hard to get Rapido-Eze as the only things on the shelf will be a Rotring cleaner from places like Art Friend in Ngee Ang City or Brass Basah Complex. I think they said that the Singapore office of Pilot will send the pen to Japan. If you are willing to come down to my office in the weekday evenings, I do have some JB Perfect Pen Flush and at least 1 ultrasonic cleaner which you can try. (I do have Ammonia but I think you need something faster) Be sure to visit Aesthetic Bay (Ion Orchard), Fook Hing (Brass Basah Complex) & Mustafa (Cheap Lamy, Parkers & MB) when you are here.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there - I've got a M90 whose nib is not working quite right and I was wondering - do you have a contact email for Pilot Japan? I was checking out their website after seeing your post but the English website is super basic... I would be more than happy to send my M90 to Japan to have its nib repaired.......... (unless there's someone here in Vancouver who can do it for me?)

I never managed to get the feed out of my MYU701 - but I had a recent correspondence with FPN member nknizam and he did remove the feed and sent me pm with details as to how he achieved it.

I've never tried his method, as my 701 is now working well.

I'd agree with previous posters and go down the cleaning (in situ) route first, but if it doesn't work, I'd contact nknizam and get the removal tips.

(I could send you the message he sent to me, if you can't contact him. It just seems more courteous to go direct to the person who found the solution)

Good luck!

(I say 'him' 'he' 'his' - but am never sure of the gender of some members. Apologies to nknizam if you are a 'she' 'her' etc. No offence intended)

Hi,

Removal of the feed of the pen is as follows. You need a special tool to unscrew a piece in the pen that pierces the cartridge. Once this is removed, the feed is extracted from the back of the nib. It must be gently pushed back into the grip section until it falls out on the other side.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

As CS388 mentioned, I did manage to disassemble the pen and was able to give the nib and feeder a thorough wash. No special tool is required at least in my case. You just have to remove the clear cartridge/convertor siting inside the nib barrel by unscrewing it. I used a twezzer to hold it and just twist the nib barrel clockwise. After the sitting was out, you push the feeder end at the nib gently with your thumb and the whole feeder will slide out at the other end. The square hole on the feeder near the nib is the ink intake hole.

I bought the pen on ebay. The pen now writes smoothly after I sort out the nib as well which was quite a bent.

I hope this is helpful.

nknizam

I never managed to get the feed out of my MYU701 - but I had a recent correspondence with FPN member nknizam and he did remove the feed and sent me pm with details as to how he achieved it.

I've never tried his method, as my 701 is now working well.

I'd agree with previous posters and go down the cleaning (in situ) route first, but if it doesn't work, I'd contact nknizam and get the removal tips.

(I could send you the message he sent to me, if you can't contact him. It just seems more courteous to go direct to the person who found the solution)

Good luck!

(I say 'him' 'he' 'his' - but am never sure of the gender of some members. Apologies to nknizam if you are a 'she' 'her' etc. No offence intended)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Oftentimes, those get damaged if you don't use the correct tools. If you scratch the part that attaches to the cartridge, you may experience leaks later.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon