Favorite Inks With Flexible Nibs

Mauricio

I get quite a few emails from folks asking me what are my favorite inks when using flexible nibs. About 18 months ago, I contributed with a list of my favorite inks for flexible writing and included writing samples. Most of those pictures are from 18 months to four years old. Here's a link to that old thread.

Since then, I have found a few more inks that I really enjoy when using flexible nibs. This new thread will display those inks with their respective writing samples. Some ink names are duplicates from the old thread. I still enjoy each and everyone of the inks mentioned in my old post. The reason some did not get included in this new thread is simply because I do not have recent pictures. My flexy writing skills have improved a little over the last 18 months and I decided to only include the most recent pictures. Some writing samples were done in a hurry. In advance, my apologies for that.

Being a huge fan of inks that shade, I gravitate towards light colored inks. Flexible nibs can lay lots of ink in certain strokes. As such, those light colored inks allow for a very wide color spectrum, from the original ink's light color to a very saturated and much darker version of its original color. Darker inks offer a spectrum from dark to almost black or black, which is not as easthetically pleasing to my eye. Another important factor to disclose is that not all pens with flexible nibs will be able to produce the flex performance and shading effects you see below. I go to extreme lengths to restore all of my pens. In addition to that, I perform very intricate nib setups in each one of my pens. It is not uncommon to invest multiple hours in every pen/nib setup alone. The results are so rewarding, gratifying and addictive that I find it very worthwhile to invest as much time as needed to always enjoy that superior level of performance flexible writing.

I hope this information will benefit anyone in FPN who likes flexible nibs and flexible writing ...

Diamine Florida Blue

fpn_1348847530__img_8421.jpg

Private Reserve Spearmint

fpn_1348847620__img_8387-1.jpg

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun

fpn_1348847760__img_8380.jpg

fpn_1348849748__img_7041.jpg

Noodler's Black Swan in Australina Roses ... this particular writing sample was made with the original ink diluted with water

fpn_1348847941__img_8300.jpg

fpn_1348848913__img_8067.jpg

Diamine Golden Brown

fpn_1348847878__img_8319.jpg

fpn_1348847570__img_8416.jpg

fpn_1348849011__img_8058.jpg

fpn_1348849434__img_7824.jpg

Noodler's Golden Brown

fpn_1348848044__img_8244.jpg

fpn_1348848094__img_8268.jpg

Diamine Raw Sienna

fpn_1348848427__img_8187.jpg

Diamine Sepia

fpn_1348848506__img_8157-1.jpg

fpn_1348848581__img_8223.jpg

Noodler's Habanero

fpn_1348848728__img_8511.jpg

Diamine Marine

fpn_1348849075__img_7989.jpg

Edited by Mauricio

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mauricio

• Bo Bo Olson

• JonSzanto

• knitknitfrog

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

Wow thank you,

I have only a few pens with flex nibs, and not the penmanship you display, but I adore colour with shading and to see this is wonderful.

These are lovely Mauricio. Your flex writing is really awesome. One ink you might like to add to your repertoire is Noodler's Red/Black. It lends itself to lovely shading possibilities.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

I'll admit I often look at your choice of ink color when looking at the flexible nibs your pens feature :) These are all lovely. R&K Alt-Goldrun may be in my future. I've heard many praise it, but didn't think I'd have a use for it. It might be perfect in my flex nibs!

Tamara

What Sheaffer was that? :yikes:

I have only two Degussa easy full flex/super-flex (the same nibs on different pens) and a 100N.

I am not ready to take the time to practice.

I have R&K Alt Goldgrun...and an empty Artus pen with a Degussa nib. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Mauricio, your posts are always artful and an inspiration. Thank you.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

knitknitfrog, Mastersmith043, myn, IWantThat ... Thanks to all of you. Glad you liked those inks and writing samples. Will have to try the Noodler's red & black ink.

JonSzanto ... Thanks. Look forward to meeting at the LA pen show next year. Hope you will be there!

BoBo ... that Sheaffer pen is a very early BCHR model, clipless cap (from the factory), lever filler, fitted with a larger Sheaffer #4 nib, and made in the US either in the late 1910s or early 1920s. The length is just a little bit over 5" long (capped), but in diameter (girth), it is about as thick as a Waterman 7 red ripple pen, meaning it's a thick pen for vintage standards. If it were not for some brassing on the lever, this pen would be in near mint condition. I have some of these very early Sheaffer pens, but this one has the largest nib, the most flexible one, and it is also the one capable of making the thinnest lines. This pen happens to be in rotation at the moment. Took it to the Dallas Pen Show last weekend and showed it to quite a few people. Everyone loved it. Here are a couple of extra pictures of it.

fpn_1348953016__img_8431.jpg

fpn_1348953093__img_8432.jpg

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

Indeed, Mauricio - I will be making every effort to be there again, and will plan on looking for you! I had hoped to make it to SF this coming weekend, but alas, work commitments aren't allowing for it. Oh well, just make the budget bigger for LA. :)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I really like this topic! I am new to vintage flexy writing, nonetheless I have found a few inks which I really like.

Diamine Turquoise with a Wahl Eversharp gold filled #2

Then my favorite ink Diamine Eau de Nil with a doric

And finally:

www.vintageflex.net

www.facebook.com/vintageflex

That is some real nice clear, deep chasing on that Sheaffer. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I really like this topic! I am new to vintage flexy writing, nonetheless I have found a few inks which I really like.

Diamine Turquoise with a Wahl Eversharp gold filled #2

Then my favorite ink Diamine Eau de Nil with a doric

And finally:

ecrits,

Diamine Turquoise is indeed a wonderful shading ink with flex nibs. Will have to try the Diamine Eau de Nil ink. Looks like a very interesting color.

Great writing samples and pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net