Herbin Bouquet ď Antan

Sandy1

☞ For convenient viewing of the images in all their inky goodness, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

As I do not wish to be dubbed 'Reine des voleurs de bande passante', wee image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

- ☉ -

Fidelity

One may compare the ink I used to the depiction on the Herbin site http://www.jherbin.c..._pen_inks.shtml

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/b7646269.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint pencil lines is 25mm.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_74ff1823.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: PCP, 600, Parker, Waterman, 444, C74.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/23bb758b.jpg

L ➠ R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo, Royal, Character, Staples.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/cfc8bc94.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/b7b9128f.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/067a6f62.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/948b1e73.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Character.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/43139ce8.jpg

Figure 9.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi-use

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/d580dcac.jpg

Figure 10.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/6cc77474.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 12.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

Pen: Waterman.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/252eb3a7.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Never happen.

A go-to ink?

• When thoughts are more important than words.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Perhaps for underlining / high-lighting / low-lighting?

Illustrations / Graphics:

• When one has all but exhausted their colour palette for complex pie charts.
  • Invites use of wet, dry and air brushes.
  • Perhaps useful to avoid diluting another colour.
  • Possible to add flourish / detail / animation to other figures.
  • Very short S/DTs enables rapid reworking, crosshatching.
  • Line quality is typically high, even on textured surface papers, but the high propensity for shading precludes work that requires lines of uniform density.

Students:

• Impossible.

Personal:

• Definitely an 'on purpose' ink to fill an inky niche - not to scratch an inky itch.
  • Despite the prohibition against mixing, HBdA was purchased as a possible ingredient in a mix, not solo use.
  • It is not My Colour by any stretch of the imagination; and though I do not usually ascribe age / gender to a colour, this one may be considered too 'girlie'. (Don't get me wrong - I l♡ve my Pink Safari pens, über-cool & ultra-chic!)
  • For personal business writing, HBdA could be used to add unusual spin to a pro forma letter.
  • I suggest that one give greater than usual consideration to elements of page set-up such as size, orientation, format, margins, row height, row spacing, etc.
  • HBdA is so subtle that mismatches to paper and/or pen should be obvious, so I suggest making the effort to run some samples.
  • I would dearly love to hear from those who use this ink with some frequency.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Middling.

Nib Dry-out:

• Seen.
  • The Waterman gave 3mm of virga on Rhodia - after I'd set the pen down uncapped for about 1/2 hour. My bad - operator error.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Oh so lean, barely enough really.
  • Narrow nibs on textured paper offered no joy, but results were OK.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days contact.

Clogging:

• Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• C74 on Royal: could not use both sides.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• C74 on Royal: see Hi-Res image below.

Aroma:

• None.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.
  • Due to the ink's low density, I would guard against contamination of the writing surface.

Clean Up:

• Very fast and thorough with plain water, but I still follow my usual regimen.

Mixing:

• Herbin specifically forbids mixing their inks.

Archival:

• Not specifically claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Ephemeral.

Saturation:

• Low.

Shading:

• High.
  • Evident from all pens on all papers.
  • The manner of shading is not smooth and supple - from my hand it 'flickers' - giving the line a choppy quality that I find unattractive. (What a cheeky thing to say about JH's shading!)

Variability:

• As ever, I do not cherry-pick pen+paper combos that give wonderful results with an ink, though I did add the Character paper to the mix for both the base-tint and the bit of tooth it offers.
  • Also, I did not alter my technique style manner of writing to give a result more to my liking: writing pressure and speed were my usual, so even if results are atrocious, they are reasonably consistent, enabling on-the-level comparison to my other Ink Reviews of similar colours.

> Pen+nib combos used:

• Far greater than expected.
  • As the PCP has enhanced flow to accommodate Platinum Carbon inks, I expected to see a much darker line.
  • The rotring 600 also gave a rather more pale result than anticipated.
  • The Parker's nib has a bit of flex, which resulted in the flickering line density also seen in shading. (See the lower portion of NIB-ism sample 'C'.) I reckon it would take a fair hand to use a flexi nib with HBdA without delivering a flawed result.
  • The C74+MS nib delivered a difficult result, with shading so highly exaggerated that it lowers readability and does not appeal to me. (When I use that nib for personal writing, the row height and line spacing are greater.)

> Papers used:

• High.
  • As expected, the harder smooth-surfaced papers generate the greatest shading, and alter the density of the ink on the page according to absorbency.
  • The base-tint of the paper is also significant, with the 'natural' base-tints having more appeal to me than the crisp whites - the white papers seem a bit stark.
  • The texture of the paper has less visual influence than expected: the laid surface of the G Lalo Verge de France is not too much: line quality is good, but the texture makes the sheet rather busy. I would not use wide nibs with strong shading on that paper.
  • The Royal, with its more open absorbent surface, gives a soft aspect to the Look, reducing the contrast of density variation; and gives an aspect that is slightly washed-out and indistinct, as if the paper was written upon when slightly damp or under very humid conditions.

> Malleability:

• High.
  • If nothing else, hopefully the Written Samples provide some direction for generating the desired Look from this ink

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are approximately 60x30mm.

All are thumbnails.

PCP on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_e168b112.jpg

Parker on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_c347007d.jpg

Waterman on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_f81b60fa.jpg

C74 on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_6537140a.jpg

Waterman on Character:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%20Bouquet%20de%20Antan/th_2a14e1b4.jpg

OTHER INKS

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• I find the slightly off-white papers have more appeal than the plain white papers.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Dirty whites.
  • White papers overloaded with optical brightening agents. LINK
  • Highly textured papers.

Tinted Papers:

• I cannot envisage HBdA on any but the palest tints.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Definitely in the mix.
  • Having a few suitable papers to sample seems a prerequisite to take this ink on board.

ETC.

Majik:

• As malleable as it is, HBdA just seems too delicate to generate any but the most subtle majik - which may indeed suit notes of few words.

Billets doux?

• Too pale to pack a payload of passion.

Very Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• rotring 600 on Character paper.
  • There is low readability, which is intended to have the reader linger - not struggle - over the words.
  • The nib is firm and slightly narrow, which puts down a pale line. Some shading is generated, though that is not so evident from the narrow line.
  • The paper has a 'natural' base tint, and is slightly absorbent. The base tint gives the impression of pastel ink on a pastel paper, so the paper fully participates in the reading experience, which is extended by the soft richness of the paper when held.

Yickity Yackity:

• If I really wanted to get the most from this ink, I'd need one-on-one remedial penmanship instruction from an incredibly patient person.
  • Ah kushbaby, could this possibly be an ink for more than Hallmark moments?

= = = = =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

Written Samples:

• Platinum Carbon Pen + g-p steel über-narrow nib.
  • r
    o
    tring 600 + 18K F nib.
  • Parker Canada Lucky Curve, BCHR ring top, Christmas tree feed + 14?K Lucky Curve nib.
  • Waterman + g-p steel M nib.
  • Sheaffer 444 + steel B nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + 14K № 5 MS nib.

Lines & labels:

• Visconti Green from Pilot Penmanship + EF.
  • HB lead from r
    o
    tring 300 lead holder.

Papers

• HPJ1124: laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: Bloc 18, satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Character: high white, wove, 100gsm.*
  • Pulp: Calendar page.

* Sourcing may be inconsistent; perhaps online at Scribblers in the UK (scribblers.co.uk) or John Neal stateside (johnnealbooks.com.)

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings

(HPJ1124)

• Red 216
  • Grn 163
  • Blu 195
  • Lum 180

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Herbin Bouquet d'Antan Red Pink 2012

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• The Good Captain

• Laura N

• Bhavna

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous reviews, thank you! Alas, too, too light for my tastes.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Gorgeous reviews, thank you! Alas, too, too light for my tastes.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

Great review as ever. However, in terms of the ink itself - not for me at all.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for such a thorough review! I like Bouquet D'Antan and use it a lot, usually in my Conway Stewart Dinkie. I've never found it too light for my liking. The muted grey pink color reminds me of the flowers of my favorite David Austin roses, called Harlow Carr. :)

Great review as ever. However, in terms of the ink itself - not for me at all.

Hi,

Thanks for your compliment!

Certainly, this is not an 'everyday ink' for me.

It is very seldom mentioned in the Inky Thoughts Forum, which lead me to believe that either few are curious about such an ink, or it has an awareness profile that is beyond stealthy.

Bye,

S1

Excellent to see this. I have a sample coming for my 12-year-old daughter. For her this is perfect. At that age, in addition to a love of pink, they have very good eyesight. :)

Hi,

I'm glad you like the Review, and that HBd'A should be enjoyed by your daughter!

When she has the opportunity to use it, I would be very interested in her impressions.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for such a thorough review! I like Bouquet D'Antan and use it a lot, usually in my Conway Stewart Dinkie. I've never found it too light for my liking. The muted grey pink color reminds me of the flowers of my favorite David Austin roses, called Harlow Carr. :)

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thank-you for sharing you experience with this ink. :thumbup:

This is one of the inks that even though I have it but seldom use it, there are others who find it is just right for them. As you "use it a lot", its not a special use ink, as it is for me. Great stuff!!

As a Pink, it is certainly 'floral', without the zap of Herbin Rose Cyclamen.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Definitely a niche ink. I've wondered about this one: a little too light for extended reading, I think. A billet-doux would be headache-inducing. But thanks for the excellent (as always) review!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I've been a 'stealth reader' of your reviews since the start. Rarely do I not get a good chuckle over your reviews. You do such a ***GREAT job***, this review is certainly no exception. (oh, by the way, this ink is certainly 'not happening' for me).

My best

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Definitely a niche ink. I've wondered about this one: a little too light for extended reading, I think. A billet-doux would be headache-inducing. But thanks for the excellent (as always) review!

Hi,

You're welcome!

I share your opinion about readability of the pale inks, regardless of colour. e.g. Grey (kiri-same), Blue (Bleu Azure).

IMHO, for the 'on purpose inks', it is not only the preference of the author that should be considered, but the reaction of the recipient/s.

(So maybe writing headache-inducing business letters to those who are a headache (or worse) may be fair play - when Lamy Green is not enough!)

My use of low-readability inks is most often for brief notes. I am more fussy than ever about page set-up: typically giving lots of space to have each word be in its own space, and lowering the per-cent coverage; also consider line/row spacing, page margins, nib width/shape and the size of my writing. Clearly, I don't use such inks so often as to have the same degree of confidence in their use as I do for my usual Blue - Blue-Black inks.

Bye,

S1

I've been a 'stealth reader' of your reviews since the start. Rarely do I not get a good chuckle over your reviews. You do such a ***GREAT job***, this review is certainly no exception. (oh, by the way, this ink is certainly 'not happening' for me).

My best

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

I think a smile is one of the nicest things to give a person, and that you also get a a good chuckle (for whatever reason) from reading my Reviews, that's even better!

:)

Bye,

S1

Exemplary review as always.

Like others said, it's a bit too light for me. But it is a swell color. In a really broad nib, maybe on cream colored paper, i could see it for love letters (assuming I wrote such things); they'd have to be really happy ones, though -- not tear-jerkers....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

oh my... what on earth is THAT?

brrrrrr.

But I enjoyed your comments in the review!

I guess for J.Herbin there are enough people out there buying such an ink, but it's definitely not me ;-)

Greetings,

Michael

Exemplary review as always.

Like others said, it's a bit too light for me. But it is a swell color. In a really broad nib, maybe on cream colored paper, i could see it for love letters (assuming I wrote such things); they'd have to be really happy ones, though -- not tear-jerkers....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi,

Thanks!

This one does seem to need a very deliberate approach.

I have no idea what ink I'd use for tear-jerkers (assuming I wrote such things).

Bye,

S1

oh my... what on earth is THAT?

brrrrrr.

But I enjoyed your comments in the review!

I guess for J.Herbin there are enough people out there buying such an ink, but it's definitely not me ;-)

Hi,

So this one's not for you??? ;)

I'm glad to have helped narrow down your future ink choices.

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy, thanks for another great review. Would I be correct in saying that the color is similar to Montblanc Bordeaux?

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Thanks again for a great review Sandy (even if i wouldn't buy this shade in a million years.)

After years of supersaturated-only ink use I am starting to explore the world of Herbin and am liking the results.

Keep up the great work !!