De Atramentis Document Blue Permanent

lemanfan

OK, this is my first attempt at an ink review, and I'm fairly new to critically reviewing pens and ink, so bear with me

I recently acquired a bottle of De Atramentis Document Ink BLUE and after not finding any other reviews decided to make my own.

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out3.jpg

To start with, it's a nice blue ink. Not overly saturated like e.g. PR DC Supershow Blue but somewhere in the middle of the line. For me, it behaves well on both Rhodia 80g paper and on cheap copy paper of the same weight. Pens used here are the Lamy Safari with fine nib and a Jinhao 159 with a medium nib.

Do note that I'm not a scanning pro and therefore cannot guarrantee the color correctness of the images:

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out1.jpg

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out2.jpg

My first attempt at testing the permanence of this ink was also the color comparison paper. After letting it dry for about 30 minutes after writing the first line, I dipped the right half in soapy water for 15 seconds, and then rinsed it for about the same time.

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out4.jpg

I got the ink from http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk which sells it for £9.29 at the moment. (no affiliation). For the prices I can buy stuff here in Europe, a 35ml bottle of this ink cheaper than I can get a bootle of Noodlers, so per milliliter is is cheaper than the Luxury Blue I compare to (30 ml bottle), but more expensive than the Old Manhattan Blackety-Black Black (90 ml bottle).

Conclusion: Well... it can handle water. It's nice to write with. I like it.

I'm very open to suggestions on how to improve the reviews and the comparisons. Also new ways to torture the permanent inks. :)

Edited by lemanfan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lemanfan

• david6

• raging.dragon

• inkstainedruth

Additional question: did I just break a rule by posting price and purchase information in the review? Especially as I rounded up in the handwritten part of the review? :embarrassed_smile:

Additional question: did I just break a rule by posting price and purchase information in the review? Especially as I rounded up in the handwritten part of the review? :embarrassed_smile:

In my mind, no. Anyone could have gone to their website and looked up the price.

This is a good review. I like the color. If you want to do more torture tests. Dip a Q-Tip in bleach or ammonia (DO NOT MIX THEM) and run it across the writing.

This is a good review. I like the color. If you want to do more torture tests. Dip a Q-Tip in bleach or ammonia (DO NOT MIX THEM) and run it across the writing.

Thank you. Hmm. I don't have neither ammonia nor bleach here.

Is this an Iron Gall ink?

I actually do now know. I've not seen anything that say that it is, and my understanding is that IG often behave like the MB Midnight Blue or the R&K Salix in my test - i.e. the dye washing off and a different color remains. The De Atramentis did not show this.

Thanks Lemanfan. I'll have to see if it is available in the USA.

I forgot to tell you what a nice review you did. Well done!

Fair winds and following seas.

Thanks Lemanfan. I'll have to see if it is available in the USA.

I forgot to tell you what a nice review you did. Well done!

Thank you!

Well, at least the Goulets have other inks from the same manufacturer, as do Art Brown. Would be strange if they could not get this variant too. Otherwise we'll have to do a cross-atlantic trade for this versus som US only ink. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, De Atramentis does not make an iron gall ink. I speak German, so I had a look at their website. There is only a single mention of Eisengallustinte on their website, and it just says that it's an old method for making secure inks that are dangerous for fountain pens. It says they use a different method.

http://www.penspaperink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/inkdrop1-e1334855917418.jpeghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

In my mind, no. Anyone could have gone to their website and looked up the price.

Since you're not selling the ink, I believe it's OK.

That's a really nice color. I'd also like to know if it's available in the US (Goulet Pens doesn't seem to, but I know they don't carry all of the De Atramentis line -- even though they do carry a lot of them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review :thumbup: I liked the look of the ink and the permanence was a good factor so I have just purchased a bottle from The Writing Desk. It is now in one of my Onoto fountain pens to see how it behaves. So far it is looking good and to give it a good water resistant test I have a half page of writing soaking. Can't see any signs of it washing away yet.

Another question -- does it stay that color over the long haul (I noticed that you said it does not appear to be an iron gall ink, so I presume that it won't oxidize)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Another question -- does it stay that color over the long haul (I noticed that you said it does not appear to be an iron gall ink, so I presume that it won't oxidize)?

I actually kept a sheet similar to the dipped one, and it's now lying in my southern facing kitchen window, to see if I can notice any difference between the inks with time. Bad timing though, I live far enough north to have almost no sun now for six months or so... but I'll keep you posted. :)

OK, this is my first attempt at an ink review, and I'm fairly new to critically reviewing pens and ink, so bear with me

I recently acquired a bottle of De Atramentis Document Ink BLUE and after not finding any other reviews decided to make my own.

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out3.jpg

To start with, it's a nice blue ink. Not overly saturated like e.g. PR DC Supershow Blue but somewhere in the middle of the line. For me, it behaves well on both Rhodia 80g paper and on cheap copy paper of the same weight. Pens used here are the Lamy Safari with fine nib and a Jinhao 159 with a medium nib.

Do note that I'm not a scanning pro and therefore cannot guarrantee the color correctness of the images:

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out1.jpg

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out2.jpg

My first attempt at testing the permanence of this ink was also the color comparison paper. After letting it dry for about 30 minutes after writing the first line, I dipped the right half in soapy water for 15 seconds, and then rinsed it for about the same time.

http://www.elenfors.com/images/pens/inktest1-out4.jpg

I got the ink from http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk which sells it for £9.29 at the moment. (no affiliation). For the prices I can buy stuff here in Europe, a 35ml bottle of this ink cheaper than I can get a bootle of Noodlers, so per milliliter is is cheaper than the Luxury Blue I compare to (30 ml bottle), but more expensive than the Old Manhattan Blackety-Black Black (90 ml bottle).

Conclusion: Well... it can handle water. It's nice to write with. I like it.

I'm very open to suggestions on how to improve the reviews and the comparisons. Also new ways to torture the permanent inks. :)

I see my Urkundentinte withstands your "tsunami" treatment much better compared to the other IG inks: MB Midnight Blue and R&K Salix :thumbup: .

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried this ink in several pens and so far I find it too wet. Not going to give up on it yet, I need to try it out more. Its water resistance is excellent.

I've tried this ink in several pens and so far I find it too wet. Not going to give up on it yet, I need to try it out more. Its water resistance is excellent.

Now, a while later, I tend to agree - it's quite wet.

ISO 12757-2 seems to relate to permanence of inks, specifically ballpoint inks. I don't care enough to spend $50 to buy the actual standard, but Staedtler lists one of their inks as complying to this standard, and say it is water, chemical and solvent resistant.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809